“Home Base!”

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #65 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I had done a great deal of research concerning lodging in Anaheim. We planned a six night stay away from home for the holidays, so the last thing I wanted to do is sacrifice comfort for savings. There are a considerable number of hotels available near the park at reasonable rates. I have tried several in the area, yet Red Lion is a chain with many Northwest locations that I have positive firsthand experience with. By booking in advance, I received a good rate and I was satisfied with the value overall. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the nice lobby and so happy the hotel decorated for the holidays. As we decided not to stay home for Christmas, it was nice to be greeted by seasonal decor.

One of the factors I like about the hotel is the interior hallway and room entrances. I don’t like the feel of a “motor inn” with guests having full view of my family through the window. The more traditional hotel hallway provides a little more quiet and safety. We were originally placed on the top floor, but asked to move when I immediately noticed a rhythmic ventilation noise that I knew would begin to bother us within one evening. We were promptly reassigned to the 4th floor.

The beds were comfortable and the bathroom spacious. I liked the closet but wished there were drawers in the furniture rather than ‘cubbies’. (I hate to live out of a suitcase but dont like laying my unmentionables out in the open.) The modern décor and amenities (hair dryer, iron, microwave, room safe to name a few) made this room a comfortable stay for the week. The TV was a large flat screen and we only had a couple of glitchy moments watching HD channels.

I do want to ask one question: What is the all the praise for Keurig coffee makers? The coffee is disgusting! And all we need is more plastic… (don’t get me started). I had wished for an old fashioned machine to brew water and make my own tea. Anyway, I preferred the coffee at 7-11 over that to what I could make in the room. Luckily there is plenty of convenient dining and shopping nearby.

We did try the buffet one morning. It was hot and fresh, and likely worth the value of including it in the room rate had we booked that. We personally preferred the breakfast burrito at Alertos just a short walk to the corner of Harbor and Katella. The hotel does have a small selection of sandwiches, salads, snacks and beverages available for those who don't want to leave the building. There is also a well stocked gift shop.

My ipad didn't like the wifi but my daughter's computer picked it up well. It wasn't a problem as the business center in the hotel offered super fast internet and free printing.

The pool was warm! It was wonderful one morning to jump in the water and stretch out muscles sore from walking through the parks for days. In the summer, I imagine this is a much busier space, with direct access to the bar and plenty of seating. However even during our chilly December stay, we enjoyed having time in this little peaceful space.

We purchased 5 day ART passes and used them as needed. We usually picked up a ride in front of the shopping center at the corner as more routes frequent that stop. The hotel is the last stop on the route, which makes GOING to the park fast, but coming back a little slower. It is faster to walk back from the park than wait for the bus, but on days when your feet hurt, the waiting really doesn't matter if you have the patience. A word of caution: If you plan on using ART to attend the show at Medieval Times, note that the bus returning will likely be leaving the restaurant before the show is over. (The cab ride from the show is about $25 btw).

The staff, hands down, were wonderful. From the front desk, to the room attendants, restaurant, bellman and the gift shop cashier- very nice people. It shows that the company works to keep their staff professional and customer minded. kudos!

In the 'grand scheme' of things, this is not a 5 star hotel. There are more luxury accommodations in the area. However, this hotel was perfect for the family who is staying in the area to visit theme parks and other attractions. It was a great 'home base' to come back to in the evening, kick the shoes off and get sleep before starting all over again the next day. For the price, service and peaceful experience, I have to give Red Lion a top rating.

Room Tip: Let the staff help you if you find something not up to par. I found them very helpful.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank FanofFlorida
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the features and amenities of our property. including our complimentary business center and wifi. I also must agree with you that we are the perfect hotel for a family going to Disneyland. Thank you again for your comments and I look forward to your next stay with us. Best regards!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

me and my family spent a week at this hotel in aug2009 thay were just refurbing at the time the old part of the building was good and the new part was even better on this trip we stayed at 7 hotels this one was secound best but best in anaheim staff were great and very helpfull with information. we had no complaints with the hotel room was clean and made daily it is only a 10 minute walk from the disney park and a 10 min drive to knotts berry park .

Room Tip: plenty of food outlet within walking distance ( less than 5 min for every thing ) and a bar on site
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2013

Thank you for letting our TripAdvisor Readers know about your stay with us! I am pleased to read that we were one of the best hotels during your stay! I hope that you come back and visit us again soon! If you need assistance with your reservation, please feel free to contact me! Best regards!

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Jan 1 - 4. The beds were great, overall the room was clean, and we slept well, however, when we arrived there was a gross ring around the bathtub of scum and hair - it had not been cleaned from a prior traveler! My wife didn't want to report it at the time for fear of retaliation from service personnel, as we had valuables in the room - so we cleaned it ourselves.
Also, we had booked this room with AAA for 2 nights, and then added a night with AAA. They ended up charging us $50. more for our 2nd night, and I had to spend about 15 minutes on the phone from Disneyland to straighten it out.
The breakfast was good and was included for all 4 of us the first 2 mornings, but only 2 of us the 3rd morning, and I paid $1.00 more for that night.
We did have an evacuation on the 2nd morning with a fire alarm that woke us out of bed, but those things happen.
Overall, other than the issues above, we did enjoy the room and the view from the room over the pool and toward Disneyland, so without the above, I'd give it a 4, but I feel like it should be a 2 1/2 due to the above.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry to read about the challenges you experienced. I can understand your frustration. I am happy to read that you did enjoy the other aspects of your stay. I would love to be able to offer you a special discounted rate the next time you are back. I hope then you will be able to experience a stay more typical of our hotel. Again, my apologies and I thank you for your feedback. Best regards!

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We only spent one night on 1/2/13. Check in was easy and room was clean. The room had a refridge and microwave which is always nice to have. Nice hotel by the parks. We would stay again. There is a restaurant onsite which comes in handy. The pool was too cold for my liking but people were swimming.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. If your travel plans bring you back to Anaheim, please feel free to contact me. It would be my pleasure to assist you. Best regards!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

There is a sign in the lobby of this Red Lion asking visitors to vote the property No. 1 on Trip Advisor, but the hotel does little to justify such a ranking. According to its website, the hotel was recently renovated, but you'd never know it. The entire property reminds me of an old Vegas hotel that hasn't been improved in decades.

The staff was friendly enough, but check-in took forever since they were understaffed, and the free WiFi was practically useless since it's so slow/inconsistent. To make matters worse, we were awakened at 8:30 am (after a late night at Disneyland) by a smoke alarm and then asked to evacuate our room, only to be allowed back in moments later. While the evacuation notice was likely out of the hotel's control, it would've been nice for someone to apologize for the inconvenience at check-out.

Parking is $14/night, and it's really not that much closer than the Toy Story parking lot next door. You'd be better off paying $15 to park there and take the shuttle to Disneyland. In short, there are plenty of better options for the price near the Happiest Place on Earth. Any many of them deserve higher Trip Advisors than this one.

Room Tip: Don't try to check-in at 3 p.m.; you'll waste a solid hour while the friendly (but overwhelm...
3  Thank 56waldorf
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and I will be addressing your concerns with our Management Team. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us again. Best regards!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We spent 10 days at this hotel and it was fabulous. The people are very friendly and helpful especially Caesar the concierge. He was so amazing with anything we needed and not just to do with the hotel, he helped me track down some special items I wanted to buy and he was eager to help. The rooms were lovely and clean, quiet and modern. The view from our room was fantastic overlooking Disney fireworks. There is an onsite coin laundry which was very useful. The location is perfect for great restaurants and of course Disneyland which is in walking distance but if you want, the shuttle to Disney was right outside the hotel. The public transport was excellent and we also hired a car which was fun and useful as we travelled to surrounding areas including San Diego and the fantastic shopping outlet precincts. I would like to thank Red Lion hotel for their fantastic service and I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors with a view of the Disney fireworks....it was fabulous
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Chris A, Director of Rooms at Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Thank you for staying with us! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay and had a fabulous vacation. Please keep us in mind next time you are back in our area. Thank you again for staying with us and we cannot wait to have you back! Best regards!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Beware! This hotel is horrible and does nothing to help the guest! It's like an expensive dorm room! We stayed and asked for a quiet room as I was staying because of work. They put us by vending machines and the rooms around us were partying all night. Finally after calling desk several times and spoke with Marcia M. about the noise. They said they didn't hear anything however we recorded it on our phone and played it back, they would not move us, we ended up leaving at 330 in the morning because we could not sleep. There was no manager, we were told he was not there. We left messages for this manager Chris A.? Left a message for the GM, I called several times to get a refund and left several messages with managers and no call back. We will go to the BBB to see if we can recoup our funds. Save yourselves the headache and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 26hramos26

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at our hotel. Our priority is to ensure the safety, security, and comfort of all our guests. If we failed to ensure your satisfaction I apologize. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and I thank your for your feedback. Best regards!