“Nice Hotel, good location”

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, NC
“Nice Hotel, good location”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights while attending at Conference at the Convention Center. We enjoyed our stay.

The hotel is in a good location. The convention center area is across the street, a 5 minute walk. There are plenty of restaurants within a short walking distance including an IHOP right next door. Getting to Disney is a little more of a walk since it is on the other side of the Convention Center. It took us 10-15 minutes to walk, but we were willing to do that to avoid worrying about parking. The area is fairly safe. We felt perfectly fine walking around to and from Disney at night.

The hotel is nice but not overwhelmingly fancy. We did not get a chance to look at the pool, but the restaurant inside is nice and the gift shop has pretty much anything you would need right away. The room was a nice size. A family of 4 could probably fit comfortably. I don't recommend it for any more than that. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was fairly standard but did have lots of counter space. They also offered free internet. The parking was a little bit of a pain since the parking lot is out back and most of the side doors were locked to come in. But it was not a big enough issue not to recommend the hotel.

So if you are looking for a reasonable place to stay for either a family trip to Disney or a conference at the convention center this hotel will work nicely.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank aboyer8

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
tempe, arizona
Reviewed January 31, 2012

It's pretty nice. The room was updated, except for the bathtub (strange). But the rest of the bathroom, the beds, the carpeting all seemed new. The beds were super comfortable, too! Breakfast leaves a bit to be desired, and I would not recommend eating there if you don't get it for free ($10 each!) and only comes with eggs, potatoes, cereal... not even toast! Staff was friendly and attentive. Disneyland is a few blocks away, I'd say a 10-15 minute walk. Around there there are some good shops, restaurants, and bars in the "Garden Walk" area. It's a nice play to stay, and if I were going back soon I'd probably stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank studenttraveller42
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I booked this hotel with a coupon deal for a good price. It include breakfast and free parking. If I didn't have the coupon, I don't think I would stay here again. It was alright but the walls were scuffed, dinged and kind of dirty. The beds were comfortable but the rooms were very plain. The bathroom was very nice. Staff was nice and helpful..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Bailly-Romainvilliers, France
Reviewed January 26, 2012

My first night in the secondary building, a dog kept on barking, left alone in a room (i found out it was two floors away) I asked to be moved, but the first night was allready spoiled.
On the third day, there was a electricity outage. therefore they could not serve the prepaid overpriced breakfast (even the orange juice came out of a electric dispenser) .
Nothing was naturally proposed as a compensation (a voucher for a couple of drinks at the bar would have been a nice gesture) . So I asked for it and I was told to turn around to my travel agency to get a refund, that they could do nothing about it,
But they still had the nerve to charge me a daily fee for "public services" including electricity !!! The room and location were nice, but these event left me with a sour feeling about the property.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Ok, so I always like to start off positive. The hotel was nice, the rooms were clean, and the location was great. there is an IHOP right next door, and across the block are several other little food joints that are cheap and good. The Subway sandwich shop is also open 24 hours which is convienent.

Here's what we weren't impressed with. I called ahead ot ask about parking and extra fees. I was not told about the $40 a night deposit that is added to your bill at the beginning and expected to be paid for right then and there. ($50 if you are paying cash) This of course is refunded at the end of your stay...but when you are already budgeting for an expensive trip and you have booked several nights of stay...this adds up REAL quick and basically can kill an entire one day admission into Disney before you have even started your vacation. Parking was also a hassel and their staff wasn't exactly super helpful.

Parking aside, the hotel itself was great. But that unexpected and pricey room deposit (which I have never been charged at any of the other surrounding hotels in the area) put me off so much I would never stay here again.

1 Thank Rebekah B
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Red Lion in early January 2012.

PROS
We didn't mind the room decor and I thought the room had excellent amenities (fridge, microwave, iPod clock radio, a hairdryer that wasn't attached to the wall, etc).

The distance to the parks was an easy walk TO Disneyland. Though after 12 exhausting hours, (wishing I had stayed at a Disney resort), we took the ART back.

The maid service was regular. We returned each night to a nicely tidied room and fresh linen.

The bed was comfortable.

CONS
The front desk staff were severely understaffed. This caused long lineups at the front desk, no answer when calling front desk, and harried, resentful service.

The buffet offered plentiful servings of scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, hashbrowns, pancakes -- but I found the food quality to be rather poor, and it was overcrowded -- causing long lineups to enter the restaurant, long lineups for food and the food ran out often.

While the decor was modern, you could tell their upgrades were purely cosmetic; the elevator was old and slow, etc.

I'm not sure what it was, but the central air conditioning or hallway air flow pipes, or something created a constant, loud whistling noise near the bathroom/hall. Our room sounded almost like a "haunted house" at times.

Our room was tidy, but could have been cleaner. For example, I dropped something under the TV desk and when I retrieved it, found it covered in dust! This made me take a look around with a more discerning eye, and I noticed thick dust everywhere that a perfunctory push of a vacuum couldn't reach.

The bathtub was truly gross, with poor drainage that caused water to immediately fill the tub during a shower. I saw a few thick black hairs that were definitely not ours. I felt the need to wash my feet after each shower. Even though I wanted to take a bath, I couldn't bring myself to use the tub. The towel rack inside the shower was also broken.

These cons are not deal breakers unto themselves, but I would stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: I would avoid room 804 -- the hallway's air conditioning or central water pipes -- or something...
Grande Prairie
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Great place to stay with kids. Pool area is very nice although we did not swim our room looked over it! We were on the 7th floor with a view of the fireworks which was nice except we had a hum from the hotel roof below. Can't say it was a big issue once you are there past the first night. Staff were really friendly we dealt with a lady Desire or deidre and she was so helpful in getting us Transportaion to Knotts berry farm, we used the same car service the whole time. Less then a 10 min walk to Disney, close to national car rental and a few little stores in the area which were cheaper for suvioners. Rooms were clean, fridge is hidden away in the dresser, we never knew it was there for a few days.

Room Tip: Opt for the fireworks view, it is worth it!!!
1 Thank Kinkle1633