“Expensive Mistake”

Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #82 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We were booked by our travel agent for 3 nights in early April 2013. It was pre-paid, so no opportunity to change hotels.

There were many issues but overall, this hotel gets away with it's condition/service by it's close location to the Anaheim Convention Centre.

By the way, if you're looking for a family hotel within walking distance, this is quite a long walk to the Disney entrance.

The issues we had:

1. No early check-ins. We had been travelling since 3am and were held to the 4pm check-in time. The lobby was scattered with dozing families.

2. Small cramped room. We had a King room and space was at a premium. The furniture was very worn and dated.

3. Faulty outlets. If you plugged in any electronic devices, they just fell out. The one outlet that worked was in the bathroom and everything was juggled around that tight space.

4. Scalding shower. Get ready for an exciting shower! It will suddenly became incredibly hot with no warning.

5. No response from reception for more towels. In the end, we tracked down cleaning staff and they got us some.

TripAdvisor makes you leave at least one star, so I'll give that for the bell staff who were friendly and efficient.

I am a frequent user of the Choice Hotels brands and this is the bottom of the barrel.

Room Tip: Avoid the lower levels facing the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RemoteCoast
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel Anaheim Resort

Reviewed April 19, 2013

10 of us stayed here for 3 nights, rooms we a nice size and clean, location is very good within walking distance to Downtown Disney and Gardenwalk which has shopping. dining and entertainment. pool area was very clean and overall was an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ravo96
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Not much to say about this hotel, it was a room block rate that brought me here as well as the close proximity to the convention center for a cheer competition. Booked a corner 1 bedroom 2 queen (double?) suite and when checked in, was given a regular room with one King bed. Had to go downstairs to explain we were not given the room we booked and paid for. We were told they had no more 1 bedroom suites available-- we explained we had our email with verification that we had reserved this room-- She asked to see the email and of course once she saw the email that we had indeed booked a 1 bedroom corner room suite--they magically had one available. Why would we pay the rate we paid for a regular room when we had paid for a suite rate. I find that a bit shady. Overall, room was decent--needs a facelift but had a fridge, microwave and larger sitting area by window. Bathroom in regular rooms were TINY but our new corner suite had a very large bathroom--reminded me of possibly being a handicapped access room, with how much space there was in the room. Very little counter space in actual bathroom but an odd, what looked like "baby changing station" counter as well as a vanity counter and mirror by side of bed. Odd configuration but for how little we were in the room, it sufficed. Pool looked absolutely tiny. We went over to Marriott and swam with teammates who were staying there.

For the price, it was okay-- Probably will not stay here again, there are better options.

Room Tip: Double check that you are getting the room you actually paid for. If you reserve and pay for a suit...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy B
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Yeah it's an average hotel, but I found it clean and the location was only about a 10-15 min walk to Disneyland. The front desk staff were friendly, it had a laundry on site which was great after traveling for a few weeks. The onsite cafe was really average and mostly empty ( I guess that should have tipped us off ). Sometimes there were waits for the elevators, but the stairs were an option. We got a good price for this room at this price it was a great choice. However I would have probably been disappointed if I'd paid the prices quoted on their website.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank McGeepers
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It is an older hotel, it could probably do with a bit of a facelift, but as someone who has seen worse, its really not bad. I got two rooms for an overnight visit to Disneyland for myself and family. The rooms were clean and functional. Comfortable beds. Free wifi, a coffee machine in the room well stocked with tea and coffee. Room had a fridge. Which I thought was nice. Laundry facilities were available on my floor. I wasn't sure if that applied for every floor, but if you had kids and needed clean laundry it is a nice bonus. Also a large gift store with all the Disney paraphenalia you can think of so if you forget souvenirs from Disneyland, its right there in the lobby and it wasn't crazy overpriced or anything.

Had a minor problem with the shower I had to tweak the shower head to get it right. But other than that it worked. I didn't use the restaurant so I can't comment on it, but there was plenty of places to walk to if you wanted to eat at a location other than the park. My sister-in-law and my niece used the pool and said it was nice. They even saw disney fireworks at the pool.

Parking was simple and free We got there really early and even though we couldn't check in they let us park and that said we could trade our parking ticket for one that allowed in and out privileges.

Front desk was fast efficient and courteous.

I got a great rate so really I have no complaints. The bonus about the location is that its right across the street from the Buzz Lightyear parking lot, we just walked across and jumped on the shuttle to Disneyland, and California Adventure. Free.

I would definitely come back to this location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Hazelra
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The room was dirty, only superficially cleaned, one day did not get maid service until we came back at 4pm and called. Then had to leave the room so she could clean. They 'ran out' of blankets. Bring your own soap-you are given one bottle of shampoo for your stay. There is a fridge but no microwave. My husband slept on the floor rather than sleep on the mattress with a spring in his back. The walls are paper thin. Got phone calls to our room in the moddle of the night. The shower had a drip, the toilet had a leak too and ran all night. Kept getting locked out of the $14 a day parking lot, both coming in and going out. This could be because of the night attendant for whom I spelled out 3 times and ultimately wrote out our license plate number. (I don't think he ever got it right). He was also very rude and was our first contact with the hotel.
The cafe was DISGUSTING. Tables dirty, sticky, food sub-par, would not pay for the food under ANY circumstances.
It was super close to the convention center, but would be quite a trek to Disneyland.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Ladybossaz
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel was located just down the road from the Anaheim Convention Center where I was a vendor for two days at a motorcycle parts show. I loved the weather and the palm trees. There was two big groups at all the local hotels; Key Club and Cheerleaders who created a lot of energy in the hotel. I wasn't expecting much enthusiasm from the desk staff and didn't receive any. The room was dated and in need of updating, but was comfortable. The free breakfast on Friday was skinny at best and the Sunday buffet wasn't very robust and a disappointment for $10 -even for L.A.. The whole restaurant was staffed with one waiter who just couldn't keep up with the crowds. The bellman found himself seating customers and helping direct the restaurant staff. He had helped me out by carrying my display materials to the convention center at a cost of $50. Though outrageous for the effort, he said that he got half, so I thought that would be a good sum of $$ for a good dude. He was doing 3-4 jobs at a time in the lobby. !!
I would look for another hotel should I find myself in need of one in this neighborhood.
Not bad, not good - just OK, but pricey for the net result.
I usually leave a $2 per night tip for the housekeeping staff. For the first time in 50 hotels I got a thank you note from Maribel Martinez! I tried to send a copy to the hotel management, but can't find an email address on their website.....they must have received many unhappy messages and eliminated it ??

Room Tip: Try the Hilton across the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business