“Great Value for Families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites

Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites
Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Coolangatta, Australia
“Great Value for Families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2007

We are a family of four who stayed at this Hotel for 3 nights. The positives to this Hotel are :
- Location
- Separate Bedroom
- Large rooms which were clean
- Warm Pool
- Good price for the area

Weaknesses to this Hotel are :
- Location from Disneyland is slightly further out than others on Harbour Blvd.

Overall a positive experience with this property and our family slept well. As we walk everywhere, the location wasn’t a problem. Recommended for families and couples.

• Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Biddleonia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Tucson, AZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed at the Islander for 4 nights in March for a family trip to Disneyland. We chose the hotel because we had a fairly large party (6 people), we wanted something close to the park, and the price was right. The room we booked was their Family Suite, which has two connecting rooms and a single bathroom. One room has 2 queen beds and the other has 2 doubles. There is a TV in each room. One room has a table and a couple of chairs, the other has a single armchair.

The room was clean and comfortable. The microwave and the fridge were both working fine. The pool looked OK but we didn't get around to using it.

This property is the first stop on the "G" route for the ART shuttle that goes to Disneyland. That means that if you are going there first thing in the morning, you will easily find a seat. If you are going later in the afternoon, the shuttle may be pretty full with other people for the later stops.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast is danishes, apples, juice and coffee. There is nowhere to sit and eat, so we just took the food back to our room. The housekeeping was done pretty early in the day. We came back to the hotel to let our kids take a nap around 2PM and it was already cleaned.

There is barely enough parking here for all the rooms. I don't know what they do if a room has more than one car because it doesn't look like there would be enough space. It may be a good question to ask if you are planning on having a large party with multiple vehicles.

There was an earlier review pointing out that the carpets weren't very clean, we found this to be true in our room as well. In places like this where the doors open directly to the outdoors (vs. an indoor hallway) I find this a lot so I wasn't too surprised. It wasn't filthy but it wasn't clean either.

We were on the first floor and you could definitely hear people walking around on the second floor. I sleep like a rock so it didn't bother me much, but if you are sensitive to that kind of noise you may want to request a room on the second floor (there are only 2 floors).

The bathroom is fairly small and has the shower, toilet and sink all in one room. It can take some time to get everyone ready to go in the morning with six people taking turns!

All in all this room served our needs well. It is more of a motel-type place than a hotel, even with the fancy name. :) I didn't see much of an "island" theme, so don't expect to be wowed by the decor.

• Liked — Location, friendly staff
  • Disliked — cramped parking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Amylgam
Santa Cruz, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2007

My husband and I had planned on going to Disneyland but last minute "life emergencies" left us strapped for cash. If it hadn't been for the great deal at the Islander we probably wouldn't have gone. We were able to get a 2 room suite (a friend was going to stay with us) for $89 a night. They cancelled on us last minute so we down graded to the standard room $49 a night. The hotel looked friendly and clean from the outside and when we checked in we were welcomed in a friendly matter. Our room was very clean and I couldn't believe how we got so lucky. The only excusable problem for me was it smelled like they just put new carpeting which, after opening the window for about an hour, was no longer a issue.
You can walk to Disneyland from the hotel you need to cross 2 streets and there are about 3 traffic lights. The walk is a nice healthy walk. If you can't do it its probably because 1. you have a toddler or 2. you have a disability. They do have a transportation shuttle that will take you to and from the park but I think it was $6 per person. Trust me when I say after spending all day at the park $6 a person does not sound like a bad fee to go 3 blocks back to the hotel.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank M.BayTraveler
Renton, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2007

Well, we saw some previous review of this hotel and kind of knew what to expect.

The Good: Close location to Disney (just two blocks walking distance and located on major cross street - Katella, with easy access to I-5 for our trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Parking was not the nightmare we had read in previous reviews. We never had a problem getting a spot close to our room. Lot (hotel) is small so if you can't walk 50-100 feet, you probably haven't got any room to complain about parking and walking distance to your room. Nice little pool. Then again, we are from Washington and outdoor pools are something of a novelty to those of us from colder/rainy climates. The flaws of the physical plant aside, the staff we dealt with was friendly and acommodating.

The Bad: After initial hotel reservations via Hotwire requested a crib for our 2.5 year old at no obvious additional charge, we arrived and checked into the hotel to discover we were going to be charged an additional $8 a night for the crib. To the hotel's credit, they waived the charges. To their discredit, this was only after me very nearly made a federal case out of it. Continental breakfast consists of cheap coffee, fruit basket (apples), and a tray of Danish (pastries) in the hotel lobby/check-in desk. First come, first served. Sleep late and you can forget about it. Noise is an issue too. The walls are pretty thin and the sound carries right through. This is not exclusive to this hotel. In fairness to them, it is pretty typical of most hotel. We had some noise issues due to someone blasting a car stereo from the adjacent Anaheim Convention Center parking lot. Thankfully, we didn't have any complaints about the "pitter patter" of our own children as they moved about the room.

The Ugly: The floors are disgustingly dirty. Bring indoor slippers or shoes. Do not walk around barefoot or in socks on these carpets. Your bare feet or white socks are literally black after any substantial movement across these floors. We (my family and in-laws) stayed in rooms 222 and 224 on the balcony level. Here is a rhetorical question... What does it take it achieve carpeting/flooring this dirty? Try never vacuuming and certainly never steam cleaning the carpets. I have never heard nor experienced this level of dirty floors before and it literally has to be seen to to be believed. An adult can modify their behavior but it is a bit much to deal with when you have little kids. I would seriously warn against bringing and infant into this environment. Last thought. Smokers.... Ack! On at least two occasions, we have someone in the rooms directly below ours smoking and the smoke unfortunately came right into our rooms. Mold growing in the caulking of the room 224 bathroom (sink) fixtures.

End Result: Based on our needs (children's sleeping arrangements, cooking and dining facilities) we won't likely ever be back to this particular hotel, bargain prices or not.

Stayed February 2007
9 Thank RentonWaFamily
redding, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

Stay away from this hotel!! I booked this hotel a month in advance because it had a nice internet site but I was sure wrong to do so. When we arrived it looked nice from the outside but inside the rooms were a different story. The room smelled musty, the microwave didn't work, the refrigerator was warm, and the beds were as hard as the floor ( $50 matress at best). During the evening around 8:00 I took a walk we recieved several complaints from the people below us that we were jumping up and down on the floor, when all we were doing was walking around putting things away for our extended stay. After the second phone call I went down to the office to talk with the person there. He told me to quit having my 5 year old son jump up and down. I told him that he is in bed asleep and we are just walking around putting things away. While I was in the office the people below us called a third time and the person in the office told me to talk to the guest. I was shocked!! I told him that you have got to be kidding and then he told the person below us that he couldn't do anything and we refused to talk to them. With all of these problems I was fed up and I told him we were checking out and going some where else and he said ok but you are still getting charged for the night. So we went across the street and stayed at a much!! nicer hotel for $20 more a night. I called the head manager a few days later after I calmed down about the situation and told her what happend, the only thing good about this place is she sided with me gave me my money back.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank ppoolman
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights for the 50th Disneyland celebration. The room was very clean and comfortable; sheets, towels, carpet, fridge and coffeemaker were all spotless. It was great having the appliances! We came back to our rooms for a mid-day break and made lunch and put our feet up.

The second day I had to go to the emergency room and we had no idea where it was, the desk clerk was VERY helpful and actually concerned for us -- he gave wonderful directions and told us he could help us with checking out if we had to leave. I was fine after the visit and the medication and was able to still enjoy our last couple of days at the park. The desk clerk made sure I was fine and was relieved everything turned out okay.

We are planning to go back to Disneyland this coming October and are planning on staying here again. It was such a bargain for all that you get and the staff really cares.

• Liked — Good value and clean, very close to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Heidi H
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2007

We have stayed here on the New Year. Booked it 3 weeks ahead and chose it because it had the bunk beds and 2 queens’ beds, and most places within walking distance of Disneyland were full or very high prices. I would stay there again because it was a great value. We only used the shuttle once, and it was good but the walk to the main entrance only 10 minutes so walk rest of the days.

• Liked — Value, worth, clean
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family