“Walking Distance to Disneyland - Nice Hotel and a Good Value”

Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Our family of 8 stayed had a four day stay at the Islander Inn & Suites. I was very pleased with the close proximity to Disneyland, area restaurants, and the Anaheim Garden Walk mall. We were so close we did not need to pay for Disneyland parking. The hotel was refurbished in late 2008 so has a modern, attractive and clean appearance. The room rates are very good. I felt the hotel was an excellent value. I WILL BRING THE FAMILY TO STAY HERE AGAIN.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites

Reviewed May 5, 2009

This is our third time staying here for our yearly family Disneyland trip. We have always been so happy with the clean rooms and friendly staff. With a group of 8 adults and 5 small children, it is very convenient so close to the park we can walk. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We arrived at the Islander about 9:00 on a Thursday night. The Islander is a small, horseshoe-shaped property, two stories tall, with outside entrances to all the rooms, and parking spots arranged around the inside of the horseshoe. The building is clearly pretty old, probably dating to the sixties, with not much in the way of upgrades since; its appearance, at night, is more than a bit on the seedy side. A postage-stamp-sized pool fills out one leg of the horseshoe, while the tiny motel office makes up the end of the other leg.

The lobby absolutely reeks of…something. Could be cleaning product, could be an “air freshener,” but it is difficult to spend more than a couple of minutes at the desk, due to the fake-citrus smell.

Check-in was efficient and we were given exactly the room type we’d reserved, i.e., a nonsmoking kids’ room. The room was not particularly well laid-out, and it wasn’t very well lit. It looked to be a good-sized double-queen room with a set of bunk beds thrown in later; the bunks were quite close to the door, which gave the room a cramped feeling, at least when you first opened the door. And I have never seen a hotel room totally devoid of artwork before.

I just read another review where the reviewer also had an issue with the fake citrus smell in the lobby, and was told by the manager that the rooms would stink of the same smell; please note that I, too, have asthma and chemical sensitivity issues, and thank heavens, the room did NOT have any sort of odor.

A small microwave and fridge were included, but the fridge was turned off. We arrived with some groceries, including a half-gallon jug of milk, so we had to make other arrangements to keep the milk cold until the fridge cooled down. To this purpose, I sent my son to get a bucket of ice, and he returned with the information that the ice machine was coin-operated, requiring a quarter. A quarter, as it turns out, just about fills the small ice bucket provided in the room.

The beds and bedding were average, except that every time the maids made up the beds, they shifted the mattress/box spring set so that the end of a nasty, hard, sharp bar would stick out a couple of inches, near the foot of the bed. It was covered by the bed skirt, which made it really treacherous. My mom got a really bad bruise on her ankle from it; after that, I checked the beds each time the maids came through, and moved the mattress/box spring back to where they belonged.

The bathroom was of average size, with a combo tub/shower and not much countertop space. There were plenty of towels, but the quality was nothing to brag about. Both the room and the bathroom seemed pretty clean, but the room lighting was so poor that it was hard to tell.

The hotel provided a scanty breakfast in the lobby, if you could stand the weird smell long enough to grab something. They had coffee, Danish and apples.

Internet service was free, as advertised, but you had to go to the front desk and have them print out a username/password combo. Mine was supposed to last 5 days, but it expired before the end of our 4-day stay, so we had to go get another one. Our room, 121, was tucked back in a corner, which might account for the fact that the signal was consistently very weak. When I’m traveling, I use logmein.com to access my home computer, but from the Islander hotel room, it frequently didn’t work right; I think it was due to the poor signal strength.

The hotel’s little parking lot was not always sufficient for the number of guests’ cars; when we arrived, we got one of the very last couple of spots, and one morning, I saw that a couple of cars were parked behind cars in legitimate spaces, each blocking two cars from getting out. I would have found that pretty maddening if I’d been blocked in. Also, for some reason, the hotel seemed to attract some low-life clientele, as we were treated to loud, drunken discussions.

Technically, you can walk to and from Disneyland; we walked back to the hotel one night when the shuttle lines were long at Disneyland. It took a good 15 minutes, but it would have taken longer to get on a shuttle, on that occasion. The Garden Walk is definitely walkable from the hotel, but we didn’t go there; from what we read, it seemed to have higher-end eateries, and we were looking for cheap food (especially after a day of Disney food prices). So we tended to drive to Jack-in-the-Box, which is south on Harbor by a ways.

Like many hotels in the area, the Islander is served by the Anaheim Resort Transit (ART) system. Passes are available in the Islander office, but when we were there, they only had 1-day and 5-day passes to sell. We needed 3-day passes, so I walked to the Portofino Inn (at Katella & Harbor) and bought our passes there. While shuttle route 8 serves the Islander, the woman at the Portofino advised me that the best way to catch a shuttle to Disneyland was to wait at the ART shelters at Harbor & Katella, right in front of the strip mall that has Subway and Panda in it (about half a block west of the Islander). Many different ART shuttle lines stop there, and Disneyland is the next stop for all of them. We generally waited 3-5 minutes to catch a shuttle from there. Note that city buses, buses to Sea World in San Diego, and buses to the airport all stop there as well; be sure that you’re boarding an ART shuttle. (The ART shuttles come in a variety of sizes and styles, so it’s not always clear.)

One nice thing was that the manager let me leave my car there for a few hours after checkout. The hotel wasn’t busy anymore (spring break had just ended), and he let me leave it there until 5:00 that night. We were able to spend one last day in Disneyland without battling Disney parking.

Bottom line, the Islander is (relatively) cheap, functional and close to Disneyland, but neither new nor charming. So, as always, it just depends on what you’re looking for.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Yobabs
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I attempted to check into the hotel only to be greeted by an obnoxious air freshener scent in the lobby. I had a severe asthma attack and I began shaking. I asked the man behind the counter if the rooms are also treated with the same air freshener and he said yes. I told him I could not stay because of my breathing difficulty. The manager came to the counter and began yelling at my daughter because I had to move myself to the outside and breathe in some fresh air. When I realized what was going on, I poked my head inside to see why this person was yelling at my daughter. She was telling her it was my fault I did not request my room to not be sprayed with air freshener. I then told her it was not publicized that air freshener was used! It ended with my leaving to find another hotel and being charged for a room I did not use because of a medical condition, asthma. My daughter and I ended up at Castle Inn and Suites, which was much closer to Disneyland and there was no air freshener! Imagine that! Anyways, if a hotel needs to use a chemical to so-called freshen the air, I wonder what they are trying to cover up! The Anaheim Islander Inn and Suites is recommended by AAA. I'm sure they will help me get my money back.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank FreshAir1
Reviewed February 8, 2009

Close to Disney! Walk time was no longer than 15 minutes. This is the perfect time to visit Anaheim- no crowds, no lines, just a magical family vacation. We had a lovely room, and could tell it had been recently updated. Our reservation was for a 3 bed suite, but we received a 4 bed suite instead at no additional charge. The amenities are very basic; you definitely get what you pay for. Breakfast consists of apples, danish, and coffee. There are several restaurants very nearby, for all budgets, and all of them are within walking distance. This hotel is very small, and I can see how parking would be an issue during a busier time.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 5, 2009

The Islander Inn was perfect for our 7 night stay in Anaheim. It was very well priced, wonderful service, and fairly close to Disneyland. My kids were 7 year old twins and a 10 year old but we still couldn't walk to Disneyland and back everyday. Our feet were killing us! The shuttle was very useful. I think my only complaint was how dirty the hotel room floor was. Maybe it is a Canadian thing, but we don't wear our shoes indoors and I made my kids wear them at all times, when they weren't on the beds.

We stayed in room 234, which was the two room suite, queen bed with two doubles. It is right on the end of the hotel by the pool, upstairs. It was perfect. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a budget.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2009

Look, this motel is within walking distance of Disney (about 15-20 min) and it's only $70 a night. What more do you want? I have to wonder where the people who are complaining are from. Being from Chicago, I don't really expect much for $70, especially right outside the gates of Disney.
The rooms are decent in size (two queen sized beds and a fold out couch), have a mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot and internet access. The beds are comfortable, the staff is friendly and if I was brave enough, I would have used the outdoor pool (it was just too darn cold). Also, there is a small laundry room if you need it.
Across the street is an upscale mall with restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs and California Pizza Kitchen. A little further down the street is a Denny's, McDonalds, IHOP and a few other restaurants.
There is really nothing wrong with this motel, just remember that...its a MOTEL, so the rooms open up to the outside and there is no elevator.
The only negative things I can think of are: The towels are cheap, there is no hotel shuttle to Disney, and there's not enough lower priced restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)