“Loved the Hojos!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed January 30, 2007

I booked through BCAA and got a great deal I couldn't pass up. I had heard so many great things about the Hojos that I decided it was time I tried it. I was not disappointed.
We were in building one and had a complimentary upgrade to a Disneyland View. It was wonderful to look out and see the Matterhorn, monorail, space mtn,etc.... Building one is a great location. It is right across from the check in/office building and just a quick 30 sec walk to the main pool, hot tub and kiddie spray area.
In building one, there are 7 floors. There is a little snack/gift shop in this building, so each night when we returned from Disney, we popped in, grabbed some individual sized cereals and milk/juice for the next morning. It worked well. The prices were higher than a grocery store, but you are paying for convience, and it really wasn't outrageous. I think the cereal was 1.49 each and the milk (one did 2 bowls) was about 1.49 as well. We sometimes picked up some candy bars as well. Lots of fun little tourist gifts. There was also a good selection of stuff should your luggage be lost (or you forget something) of toiletries, and even pjs/clothing. Nice fast elevator. We were on the 6th floor. We had a mini-fridge in the room (don't do what we did, and miss the sign inside saying it is turned off, and you have to turn it on - we had warm milk in the morning and realized we didn't turn the fridge on).
The room was huge. We had 2 queen beds, nice sized tv (and the channels had an excellent selection - including Disney Channel). There were also pay per view movies (didn't have time to watch any). Dual sink (one inside and one outside of the main bathroom). Shower pressure wasn't bad. Room was spotless and very inviting. The beds were a bit harder than I like them, but they seemed very new, which is always a good thing. The only thing I didn't like were the bedspreads, as they were those typical hotel bedspreads. Every night I would wake up freezing, and realize the bedspread had fallen off. If you rolled over the bedspread ended up on the floor. A good upgrade for this hotel would be those white duvets that many places are using now. That would make this the most perfect place of all. The pool was heated and we were able to swim (In January!) and the hot tub was a dream. There are FOOT JETS in the tub! Anyone who has spent days and days walking around a themepark can appreciate why I capitalized foot jets! Oh they were a dream! I didn't want to get out! The lounge chairs were far the best I have ever sat in at a hotel, or anywhere for that matter. They have a thick foam covering and are so comfortable. I wouldn't mind a couple of those for my own backyard! Loved them! I was thinking of how I could sneak one up to my balcony (just kidding!).
We were never disturbed when the do not disturb sign was on the door. As for the road/hiway noise, it is true you can hear some. We faced Harbour Blvd, which is a very very busy road. We could definately hear traffic, but it was not so loud that it kept us awake, or woke us up. At one point some sirens went screaming down around 2am, and we woke up, but only for a minute. When the door to the balcony was open, naturally it was quite loud. I didn't have a problem with the noise at all.
Also, they have wired internet. I could not get my computer to connect and had someone there to help me within 5 minutes. He lent me a special connector and said some people have trouble for some reason. I put a deposit on the connector and got the $$ back when I checked out. No problems at all.
We were able to easily store our luggage safely while spending the last day at Disney before heading to the airport.
There is a nice outdoor waiting area for the ART shuttle, and airport shuttles.
The ART comes by every 20 mins and is $3 a day for people ages 10+. We used this most of the time, to save our feet and legs for Disneyland, but did walk to Disney a couple of times and it was a quick walk. If you cut through the parking lot behind the restaurant towards McDs, you can get there really quickly. Took us about 5 or 6 minutes at the most. We did eat at Mimis and found the food to be good, but did find it the same price as eating in the park, so opted to just eat at Disney for the rest of the trip.

Don't hesitate to stay at the Hojos! You will love it!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
23  Thank liz413413

Reviewed January 21, 2007

This hotel does it so well right down to the free internet in the lobby and a late checkout at no charge. Rooms are spacious, neat and clean. Staff are friendly and very helpfull. The location is great. We always stay here when going to Anaheim.

Stayed: January 2007
13  Thank deandownunder
Reviewed January 16, 2007

I've stayed at this hotel several times and really like it. Good alternative if Disney hotels are sold out or are just too much $$.
We stayed on the freeway side this time, It's amazing how much noise is blocked from the room via the double door to the balcony and very thick double paned windows, noise is not generally an issue with us, but you WILL hear some freeway noise, so pay a little more (to get a room on the Disney side) if noise is an issue.

Checking in early has never been a problem here, which I appreciate. Front desk clerks are efficient but not very personable. Our room was spotless! Carpet appeared as new, no spots or stains anywhere. Linens and towels were standard fare, nothing above ordinary. Plenty of towels, but extra pillows would be nice. Good sized bathrooms, (only 1 sink) Good water pressure.

Very nice grounds. Landscaping is excellent, I love having a balcony, but no table or chairs are provided here, so what's the point? Free parking, about a 10 minute walk to Disneyland. Mimi's cafe next door was great for take-out, but they add an automatic gratuity, I didn't look at my bill when sighning and added an additional 20%, so someone made out!

This is an older hotel, but very well updated and maintained, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
14  Thank robsocal
Reviewed January 15, 2007

We needed to be near Anaheim for business so decided to check out Disney while there, as we were traveling with an almost 2 year old. We were happy to find this affordable gem.

We arrived much later then we expected because of fog delays in NYC and were exhausted. We reserved from the Long Beach parking lot. We were switched around back & fourth between reservations & the hotel front desk, which was slightly annoying but we managed to finally reserve. they honored rates we'd seen on the internet, which was around $85 with tax.

It was a quick drive from the airport and easy to find. When we arrived, we spent some time trying to figure out what room would be good for us with a child and to avoid the roar from the highway, have space etc.. They put us in one of the low buildings near the front office because it was one of the few with a king not facing the highway. Apparently, all kings face the highway and the rest are doubles. The staff was very accomodating, considering how tired we were. We were starving as well and it was very late. They gave us a menu for a Chinese restaurant nearby and told us we could also go to Denny's & IHOP was 24/7. We ended up ordering from the Chinese place and I have to say it was surprisingly great. One never knows with Chinese but this shocked us it was so delish. We ordered ribs, hot & sour soup and a spicey beef dish. All were exceptional. If I lived here I would order from this place on a regular basis, it was that good.

Back to the hotel. I had read a good portion of the reviews on tripadvisor and it appears as though the hotel gets many 5-star hype from people who have only posted only a single time to sing the accolades of this particular hotel mentioning on site store, grounds crew & maid service as well as certain rooms facing the highway as good, which seem to be the least desirable upon inspection. This leads me to go "hmmmm" and be somewhat suspect that someone may be posting to raise ratings, which was #6 at the time of this writing and one of the reasons we choose the hotel, so keep that in mind.

We do feel we got our moneys worth and would return here again. Our main reasons for choosing this hotel were the location, the price, the ratings, the pool, the spa and again the location.

Rating: skewed but not completely unaccurate
Price: extremely reasonable
Pool: good temp and we used it even though it was unseasonabley cold when we were there, it was big and clean with plenty of towels, kids mini pool, a turtle and the spa.
Spa/outdoor whirlpool tub: wonderful & very warm. We loved it as did our toddler. What a way to start & end the day.
Location: so close to Disney, anyone that says this is far has to be super lazy. It was a quick walk, maybe 2 short NYC blocks. So easy to get to. We looked at the hotels right across the street from the gate but they were not as nice & no great pool or spa & the design of the properties were not as pleasing as Hojo's.
Room:The room was clean, the bathroom huge and seemingly newly tiled, the sheets nice, plenty of towels and little soaps, and they accomodated our request for a crib. It was an okay room with beige carpet though out and those ugly comforters so many hotels seem to think they need. The pillows were lumpy and only two but they brought us extra.

One thing that we didn't like is all the hallways were open and it was very cold at night. An icey wind tunnel was going up the hall and coming under our door which we tried to block with suitcases. We had to run the hot air heater all night to keep warm and those heaters are so drying. Why don't they keep doors shut?

There was a lot of hype wiht many posts about the greatness of this store. It was okay but the prices where way too much for simple things. We did a load of laundry here and that went fine and we were glad to have the machines on premise. The property seemed safe and all the staff friendly and helpful.

We also ate at Mimi's, which is next door and is was pretty good and they did have giant portions. It certainly is affordable and tasty. We had way way more food then we could eat and took it to go to Disney and ate it the rest of the day. It saved us a bundle. I had the jambalya pasta and my husband had a burger & fries both we good. The jambalya could have been a bit more spice and the shrimp were a little over cooked. They also served us our main course before we were done with our giant cappacinos and brought the salad well after. I would eat here again and wish I'd had the opportunity to try the wine but it was too early in the day for that.

Hojo's hits a good solid line drive to the back field on this one with 2 runs scored.

Stayed: January 2007
22  Thank BrooklynMaMa
Reviewed January 12, 2007

I stayed at this HOJO in November 2005 with my sister and her family, and went back in March of 2006 with my boyfriend because I had such a good experience.

Compared to other hotels I've stayed at in the area, this is the best by far. The bathrooms were clean both times, as were the rooms, beds and grounds. The staff were all very nice as well.

The distance to Disneyland is difficult to beat, but getting to the hotel from I-5 can be difficult if you're unable to get over to make the left. It's also across the street from Mimi's Cafe, and McDonald's is within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled with family
6  Thank puokgirl
Reviewed January 9, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past few years, and every stay has been great. On our most recent trip in November, we arrived at about 10am ( well before check-in time) and the lady at the front desk found us a room. Check-in and check-out is always very quick and efficient and we have never had a problem with any of the staff. They are always very friendly and helpful. This is definitely not a fancy hotel, but it is very well maintained and one of the nicest in the area. If you want a clean, comfortable, affordable and safe place to stay while visiting Disneyland, this is definitely the place. Whenever I look for a hotel in the anaheim area, I always end up back at the Howard Johnson.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank jj428
Reviewed January 8, 2007

I am a travel agent and stayed here as part of a work holiday.
Howard Johnson Hotel Anaheim is located directly across the road from Disneyland. It takes no more than 8 minutes to walk from your room to the entrance to Disneyland and is all flat.

There are six accommodation blocks on the property, some high rise and some two level low rise. The hotel has two separate pool areas and also a spa pool.

Rooms are large with Queen beds and sitting table and also a very large bathroom with bath and shower facilities. Our room also had a balcony which overlooked the pool area.

There was a large gift shop on site which had souvenirs, food, drink (alcoholic & non alcoholic) and all the usual travel accessories. Mimi’s Café was across the driveway and provided HUGE meals at very reasonable prices.

This property definitely caters to families, but I would be happy to put couples here also as it is such a handy location to Disneyland.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Jen1985