“Location, location, location”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Waikato
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

A great place to stay while in Anaheim. Close enough to Disneyland that you can see the fireworks each night but far enough away that you don't get the traffic and noise. VERY friendly and helpful staff. Really lovely grounds and pool area. No need for a vehical as most attractions are within walking distance or buses will take you to attractions like knottsberry farm that are a little further away. A must 'to do' while visiting is The Pirate Show and Dinner- Great entertainment.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ICDtraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Czech first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2010

Stayed here based on reviews and proximity to Disneyland. We had our 2 small children, 6 & 4 with us so we knew we wanted to stay where it would be a fun enviroment for them. This hotel has it all like most of the reviews say. We stayed in Bldg 1 facing the park. Though the trees have been trimmed, there are still a few rooms with an obstructed view, but nothing too bad like older pictures I've seen. I had read on the forum boards that room 1711 had the best view, so I requested it in hopes of getting it. The guy at the front desk was kind enough to check if it was available and unfortunately it was not. I told him that was fine, that I really like the #'s as they are the birth day's of my 2 kids and is why I was hoping to get it. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived so they held our bags for us until we returned later in the day. When we did return, I could tell that the guy at the front desk had done his best to get us near 1711, as he placed us in 1707 which was just a couple steps out of the elevator and only 2 doors down from 1711. It still had a great view of the park and the fireworks in the evening, even though it was still a little obstructed by the trees. If you stood all the way to the left corner of the balcony you could see the fireworks right through the opening of the 2 tall trees, but if you were standing to the right they would have been obstructed by the trees. The beds were comfy, the kiddie sprayground was a fun relaxing way to wind down the nights while the adults soaked in the spa, the arcade had some neat games both for the young and youngs at heart. The only thing I would recommend is that the convenience store carry some microwavable items, ie frozen burritos or small frozen meals. They definitely have the room to add a freezer with some frozen items. then I would have actually used my microwave. Oh and the other small complaint would be the smoking area after hours. It would have been nice to have a key card machine at the side door like with the front door, so that I didn't have to walk all the way around to the front of the building just to get back in...in my PJ's :o) All in all it was a great stay and we will definitely stay here again when visiting Disneyland.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Debers17
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon and a much awaited for trip to Disneyland! We loved it, we would recommend it to anyone. We arrived late, about 11.30pm, the gentleman that checked us in was very welcoming and helpful with our questions. We were in building 4 which was perfect, very quiet and perfect for a good nights sleep after big days at Disneyland! Rooms were big and spacy and very clean. The only thing I would say is that we were given a room with two double beds and the double beds are not overly huge but still comfortable! They also have two skylight windows so the room was very light very early which didn't really bother us as we were getting up early to go to Disneyland!
It is an easy 10 minute walk to Disneyland (you can see it from the hotel) with many places to eat at along the way. Mimi's cafe was great for breakfast, we didn't love the dinner as much.
Hojo's has a little shop that is so handy and offers a wide variety of things and there are also laundry facilities.
We were very happy with the customer service, we were off to the Bon Jovi concert and also a bit of shopping on our last day and they were able to organise us Town cars which was a great help. They were also able to help us print off airline information.
It is not the newest hotel and the furniture is not the newest (but very well maintained) but if you want a place that feels comfortable and a "home away from home" I would definitely recommend the Hojo. It might take us a while to get back there (coming from Australia) but if we ever do come back we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MadsDave
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

We stayed here in June last year for three nights. The room was fine - squashy for five of us but since we were out nearly all of the time it didn't matter. After our Disney trip I wondered why I had spent so much time worrying about where we would stay, as the time we spent in our room was so minimal. We didn't use the pool at all, but it looked like fun for young children. The little shop was useful and a great novelty for our children, looking at the different products available. My only gripe was when we arrived, tired and grumpy after a long flight from Australia, the staff told us our room would be ready soon. Then the staff changed over and we were forgotten....eventually we got into our room and promptly all went to sleep. A very helpful porter helped us with our bags - and it wasn't until much later I realised I was supposed to tip him!! He must have cursed the Aussies under his breath!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank kellypippin
Reasonenough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2010

My fiance and I went to Disneyland (his eighth time, my first) in February of 2009. I did a boatload of online research and bought some travel books which led me to decide to book with Howard Johnson Anaheim. We bought an Entertainment Card and got the $59/night rate which is by far the best deal in the resort and and surrounding area. From the reviews I read online I was expecting a great experience and they more than surpassed my expectations.

The customer service at HoJo's was unlike any service I had ever received. When we landed in LAX my luggage was still in our connecting city - needless to say I was unhappy and grumpy but when we arrived at HoJo they took care of everything. Rose at the front desk did all the leg work with the airline for me, I didn't have to worry about a thing. She called them, got an ETA and dealt with all the whole situation while my fiance and I went out for dinner.

We were given a king room in building two, I believe. It was tucked away in a corner on the first floor - close to the convienence store and arcade but you wouldn't know it! Our room was quiet and we slept like babies! The bed was one of the comfiest beds I've slept in, it was a decent size and most importantly it was clean!

HoJo does not have a restaurant on site, but I would never hold that against them because they more than made up for it with other hotel features. Did I mention how great the customer service was? Mimi's Cafe is across the street, it is reasonably priced and the food is good. On par with an Applebee's or the like. There is also a McDonald's and an IHOP as you get closer to the park.

It is a brisk ten minute walk to Disneyland, which was no big deal for the two of us, but I imagine with children the walk would take a little longer and maybe be a bit of a trek, probably more like fifteen minutes. It's quicker if you cross S.Habour Blvd. at the crosswalk right by the hotel - there is less foot traffic on that side.

We also really enjoyed the hot tub and they have a really neat children's water park. I was too old, but I wish I could have enjoyed it too!

My fiance and I loved our stay at HoJo and it's the only place we will stay in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank reasonenough
Waco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

We have a 5 yr and 8 yr old and we just got back from Disneylnad vacation....We stayed at Ho Jo next to Disneyland and there is NO way we could have found a better place.....we arrived on Sat. and our room was waiting for us.....the room was facing Disney in Bldg. 1....just the right size for napping/sleeping.....a micro/fridge for morning meals......our sons did the walk each day just fine......it took us about 8 minutes and we did not walk very fast....it was VERY SAFE....VERY CLOSE.....lots of restaurants to choose from....but Mimi's was the best....we watched the fireworks from our balcony.....our boys loved the heated pool and the pirate themed water park.....YOU CANNOT GO WRONG staying here......LOVED IT!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank jmlion83
Greater Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Anaheim for 2 weeks in January whilst we were visiting Disneyland. We got the room at a great price through Entertainment Guide and want to say thanks to the forum posters who recommended trying for this deal. We only paid $59/night, so we weren't expecting anything spectacular. We were pleasantly surprised. Upon check in we were upgraded to a Disneyland-facing room in Block 1 (yes, upgraded, despite paying $59/night!).

The room was large & clean and everything in the room was in working order. The decor is a little 1980's but in very good condition. The 5 of us fitted easily, as did our 5 large suitcases. There was a small table & chairs as well as a desk & chair and a baggage stand that can also fit another suitcase underneath. The bathroom had 2 sinks and was kept clean & well stocked with toweling. We had 2 very comfy queen beds, with 4 pillows on each, so we all got a great nights sleep. Although we could hear traffic a bit during the day when it was busier outside, we weren't disturbed at all by it during the night, and slept very well. We also had a great view of the fireworks from our balcony, which was great as the kids could be fed, bathed and in their PJ's and still get to see the fireworks.

Once you've checked in you don't have much to do with the staff as the front desk is in a building on it's own. They did make some phone calls for us to organise to be picked up by shuttles to shops & they also were very helpful when we nearly missed our bus to the airport!

We would definitely stay there again, particularly if we were able to get such a great rate.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family