“Great Value! One Warning!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I had booked this hotel *before* discovering the wonders of how helpful this website really is. I thought to be fair I'd write my own review on the place, especially for those of you who are light sleepers. I am one of you!

First of all, the hotel surpassed my expectations. Hotel staff was all very friendly, even the maids and security. The room was clean, the air conditioning was great (and blocked out a lot of the interstate noise), our bed was a large kingsize in the cheapest room available! The pool and hot tub is especially relaxing after a long day walking the theme parks all day. Large pool, good wading pool for younger children. The location is great for Disneyland, the walk is really not that bad even after being on your feet all day. It probably took us about 6 minutes to get there. Free internet access in the lobby was good too.

My only concern coming there was the noise on the freeway. We were in Building One which is close to the freeway, on the top floor (7th), and facing the freeway. The rooms are *very* soundproofed but we still heard the freeway all night. However, with the air conditioning on all night, it really blocked out the sound well. One word of caution before booking a room- if you are a light sleeper make sure you are not close to the freeway. I had to do use the Internet in the lobby one morning and I overheard a couple still in their pajamas waiting to get moved into a new room. They did not get any sleep all night and the hotel was completely booked. Before paying for a trip to Disneyland, make sure you can sleep at night.

Otherwise, this hotel is an excellent stay for the price. You won't find a better hotel that close to Disneyland for the price.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank bradster57

Reviewed September 3, 2006

This hotel was great except for one thing. We checked in on a Saturday and found the staff extremely helpful. Our room was on the top floor of building one. Although the room is probably one of the smaller rooms in the hotel (one king bed, small bathroom with one sink) it was newly remodeled and frankly, we loved it! It had lovely vaulted ceilings and the decor was appealing, not depressing like most hotels. It had a balcony too, but that was sort of useless since it overlooked I-5. You could hear the traffic from the freeway but it didn't bother me and I'm a light sleeper. They do a really good job of soundproofing the rooms.

The one problem comes in the next night, around midnight. We had just returned from Disneyland and were going to bed when I happened to look up and notice an enormous (I'm not exaggerating) cockroach. On the lovely vaulted ceilings. If it had been on a normal ceiling, we probably would have just killed it ourselves and complained the next day (we're low maintenence, I guess). However, as it was, I called the front desk who were unable to find anyone to come kill it, so they moved us to a different room. They also refunded us one night of our hotel stay, which I found very generous.

The new room was much bigger and there was no traffic noise, but frankly, we really loved our first room and this one just didn't compare. We probably would have thought it was a great room if we hadn't seen the first, but I guess we got spoiled.

Overall, this hotel is great. I wouldn't let the cockroach bother you too much--Southern Cal is the perfect breeding ground for those things and the rooms were spotless, so I don't want to give the impression that this hotel is poorly maintained. Their generosity with the refund and the kindness of the front desk staff suggests that this rarely happens and when it does, the hotel will bend over backwards to make it right.

Final notes--the pools are very clean and nice. The grounds surrounding the garden pool feel similar to a resort, rather than a budget hotel. You can see the fireworks from the hot tub, which has jets for the soles of your feet! You'll understand how wonderful this is after you've been walking all day at Disneyland too. The only complaint is that the water is especially chlorinated and somewhat salty, which was a little disgusting but probably necessary to keep it clean. Finally, the convenience store on the property was great to have around. I highly recommend this hotel and would probably stay there again, unless I have the funds to stay at the Disney properties.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank boxingnun7158
Reviewed September 1, 2006

We found this hotel to be a great value and close to the parks. It was definitely not "The Ritz", but was clean, had a nice pool, and the rooms were spacious enough. No, it didn't have the Disney theme, but it was less than 1/3 of the price of the lower end Disneyland owned hotels. Considering that we spent most of our time in the parks it was more than adequate! Our only complaints were that when we did buy a 1 day Anaheim bus pass ($3/adult - kids free), the front desk was almost useless. It took them forever to give us the passes. We handed them our money and waited and waited and missed the bus, and waited some more. I don't know why they couldn't have taken our money and given us the passes (especially when they saw the bus arriving) and then entered everything in the computer. There has to be a more effective way. The other thing was that I-5 is a little noisy. If your a very light sleeper, you might want to bring earplugs.

7  Thank Klee1
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We stayed at this hotel based on reviews we read on tripadvisor and were not disappointed. There were 2 adults and one 6 year old in our party. The rate was good @124 per night for a comfortable king bed in a very spacious room with a fridge.
The staff was very professional and efficient and we never had to wait for service. We stayed in many other hotels on our 2 week car trip through the western U.S (we are from Canada) and the service at the Howard Johnson was by far the best and most professional.
In the hotel the bathroom was very bright and recently remodelled. The only complaint we have about the room was the noise from the I-5 freeway, which was unrelenting. We thought the noise would not bother us since we were so tired from our 14 hour days at disneyland but when you woke up it was hard to get back to sleep (we live in a quiet setting in the country). I would stay at hotel again and bring earplugs.
The walk to Disneyland was only 5 minutes and you pass McDonalds on the way so you can grab a coffee and breakfast to go and are set without wasting time on a sit down meal.
The pool area looked clean and well planned out and the pool itself is quite big with a kiddie pool too. We did not use it as we spent all our time at disneyland, but I am sure it would have been fun. Overall the hotel was a pleasant experience.

The Owen family

Stayed: August 2006
16  Thank fatratcat
Reviewed August 20, 2006

This is hotel is a 2½ star hotel with 4 star service. It has spacey rooms and is dedicated to giving families a great time.
The location is excellent as well. It is within 5 - 10 mins walking distance of Disney main entrance and there are all sorts of restaurants right in the neighborhood

6  Thank jvdv
Reviewed August 14, 2006

I would have rated this above average had I not found a roach crawling along the desk area when we were packing up to leave after having spent two nights there. I will say they did give me a discount but we had to remove everything from out suitcases and shake them out to ensure no roaches were piggybacking a ride home with us.

The staff was exceptionally helpful, very nice and went out of their way to provide a larger room with an extra bed when I came with an unexpected guest and they did not charge me. It was a smoking room but didn't smell like it so that was really nice.

The room was large though and clean but it felt more like an older hotel which was I was okay with. A little terrace area actually allowed us to view the fireworks to some extent. It was a nice really, the staff was so great, the location perfect for the red carpet premiere going on's for Pirates of the Caribbean I would have seriously thought to return for the next premiere in 2007 but that roach really truly turned me off.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank StormyWindRider
Reviewed August 14, 2006

If you are looking for a comfortable, reasonably priced alternative to the big resort hotels, this is it. We arrived early and parked our car at the hotel, spent the morning at Disneyland, and returned at 3PM to check in, cool off at the pool and rest before returning to California Adventure. The main pool area is resort quality, and perfect for families. There is a shallow beach type pool with water fountain play for very small children. The lounge chairs are attractive and comfortable. Rooms are simple, but spacious, clean and comfortable. Mini refrigerator and coffee pot are nice for families. Our room in building one (sixth floor) had a great view of the fireworks from the balcony. The gift shop is stocked with everything from morning cereal for the kids to blister packs for adults with sore feet. I found the staff friendly and helpful. The shuttle takes a few minutes longer than I would have liked for pick up, but it was worth saving our tired dogs for walking in the parks. This place was a real find.

11  Thank fweeb