Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GIBSONS , B.C. CANADA
Reviewed February 23, 2006

This Would be our families first visit to MOUSE LAND so UNDERSTANDABLY I wanted everything to be perfect, I booked with our BCAA TRAVEL AGENT as USUAL and I informed them of the room we wanted. they assured us it was DONE but I thought I would call and confirm it was the type of room we had requested.HOTEL RESERVATIONS told me no problem , BUT COULD NOT GIVE A ROOM NUMBER UNTIL CHECK IN.I payed for the trip in FULL at that time. 4 DAYS before we are about to leave for our trip I call the HOTEL to make some show reservations and decide to confirm the room # AGAIN ! This time I'am told , if your room is booked by a third party such as a travel agent they do not CONFIRM rooms and can sell your room at a higher price to someone who books direct with them by credit card,not only did we loose one of the rooms requested but were put in a completely DIFFERENT BUILDING away from the KIDS activities and a CHEAPER ROOM ! Iam devastated as I have been telling my kids for a month we would be in one of these rooms. I call reservations again , the story has changed , I ask to speak to a reservations supervisor who asks me to hold on long distance and never comes back to the phone. I call back 4 more times long distance and get answering machines for Reservations and the SUPERVISOR, NO ONE RETURNS MY CALLS TO DATE.I understand there can be MISUNDERSTANDINGS but this is NOT RIGHT ! Reservations were less than forthcomming the first time I called or I would have made sure we had the right room or , BOOKED ELSE WHERE. This is one ugly way to start a holiday and tints the whole experience.This is the first time I have ever expressed negative views about a buisness but I do alot OF buisness travel and have never experienced such SAD CUSTOMER SERVICE.If they want to sell rooms to the highest bidder be up front and let your custmers know because I WOULD HAVE PAID MORE TO SECURE OUR ROOM.

Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded March 10, 2006

Dear TripAdvisor Member, Gibsons, BC:

Yikes! What a bunch of malarkey. Shame on this reviewer for abusing TripAdvisor.

I contacted the guest’s travel agent as well as wholesale travel company to investigate this complaint prior to the guest’s arrival. If we had done something wrong, I was certainly going to make sure we corrected it before the guest arrived. I will not go into all the details but after a full review; both the travel agent and wholesale operator apologized to me on behalf of the guest.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

Reviewed February 20, 2006

We travelled to the HOJO Anaheim on Feb. 10 for a nine night stay. I must say that the room was great, a view of the Matterhorn and a great view of the fireworks.
We were in building one which had a few problems when we were there as only one elevator was working and there was no A/c working in the building at that time.
It wasn't a problem as it didn't get to hot only the first three days did it get over 80 but we were busy so it didn't matter.
As stated in previous reviews the walk to Disneyland was only 7 miniutes at a good pace.
There is a bit of construction going on starting about 8:00 but you don't notice it
to much.
The staff was very friendly and helpful they were trying very hard to please.
We got a good rate by checking out the internet. So check around for rates as there are good rates for this hotel out there.

8  Thank merrit girl
Reviewed February 20, 2006

We were excited to get a room at the Howard Johnson's for our trip to Disneyland. According to the decription the hotel is: "located inside The Anaheim Resort across from the Disneyland Resort main entrance." In reality, it is across the street and 4 hotels, 2 restaurants and a McDonald's down the road from the main entrance. Wanting to be as close as possible to the main entrance, we were a bit disappointed by the extra distance; especially after a long day at the parks.

The room was clean but not exceptional. The bedspreads were a tad on the worn side with the stitching coming loose. The lampshades showed the most wear with some noticeable dirt marks and worn spots.

The fact that our room had a microwave and fridge was much appreciated and used during our stay.

Our room was not in the buildings with the skylights so we experienced none of the issues of dealing with the sunlight while trying to sleep late or nap. However, the walls seem to be pretty thin as we were "treated" to the sounds of excited children (in the AM hours) and tired, cranky, crying children (in the late evening hours) as they traveled down our hallway.

The hotel is undergoing a planned renovation of their common areas so check with them before you book or ask for a room located away from those zones. Unfortunately, the air conditioning system was not functional but was in the process of being replaced when we visited. Hotel management provided two complimentary bottles of water to compensate for the inconvenience. As it was very cold during our visit we didn't need the A/C but the water came in handy.

In short, the HoJo is an acceptable property but next time, we will probably choose lodging closer to the main gate of the theme parks.

14  Thank SandraG23
Wellington New Zealand
Reviewed February 19, 2006

We had our first ever trip to the USA with our teenage children. We did not quite know as to what to expect.
The hotel was under going renovations but that did not stop us from having a great time and enjoying amazing service.

We were looked after from the time we stepped in the door. The staff were so helpful and housekeeping took care of us with such service that made our 12 days there simply perfect.

Would reccomended this hotel to all of our freinds and would stay there again

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 10, 2006

This was our second stay at this hotel, we stayed for 10 nights during a trip to LA.

Location is superb, although we did not actually venture to Disney Land during our stay, we mostly travelled into LA and surrounding areas every day, but the hotel is very close to the Santa Ana.

Our room while not as good as our previous visit (as we were in the main building previously) was clean, very large & comfortable.

Staff were very friendly & helpful, my husband even had a laptop he had bought delivered to the hotels address before we arrived there which was waiting for him in reception when we checked in.

There was free internet access in the room and a good selection of brochures on LA's attractions.

Anaheim is excellent for evening dining, we tried Joe's Crabshack, Pizza places, Panda Chinese Takeaway and Mimmies which was excellent.

We had breakfast at IHOP on our first morning which was very dissapointing as the food was very dry. We then ventured outside of Anaheim for breakfast's (Pofolks KBF & Bob's Bigboy Burbank) Both were great.

The rest of the time we bought cereal and milk which we could keep in our room as there was a fridge. This saved us alot of money on food.

I used the Laundry facilities and they were excellent and quite new & clean.

Rates were very reasonable, booked on Hotelpronto.com which were much cheaper than any other hotel sites we checked.

We will definately be staying there again upon returning to LA.

• Stayed: November 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 9, 2006

We stayed for 4 nights at the HOJO Anaheim last November with our two boys (aged 5 & 7) and loved it. We had a large, clean comfortable room with 2 queen beds, tea/coffee making facilities & balcony overlooking the pool & spa. At night we could see the Disneyland fireworks from our balcony. Across the road is a great family cafe - Mimis, which does a good breakfast, has a great kids menu & provides free kids activity books.The pool and spa were good to soothe our weary legs particularly after a tiring day in Disneyland & both were open until late in the evening. The service was excellent from the front desk. We asked them for directions to several attractions and they were able to print off google maps for us with detailed instructions. The front office staff rang around several places and booked a great restaurant for us for Thanksgiving (Orange Hill restaurant)whilst we were at Disneyland for the afternoon. The location is perfect for visiting Disneyland with young children. Only 5 -10 mins walk to the main gate. We were able to start early in the morning, come back in the afternoon for lunch and a rest and then head back to Disneyland late afternoon & evening. A plus for families,it had a coin operated laundry in the basement - perfect for doing your family laundry when you have been travelling for a week or more. It also has a games arcade and a gift shop (that sold reasonably priced beers & softdrinks). We used this hotel as a base to do a daytrip in the car to San Diego Seaworld - well worth the visit and Universal Studios (also great for the kids).Parking can be a bit of a hassle during busy times, but just a minor setback. Have fun!

• Stayed: November 2005
16  Thank familyfromoz
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We stayed at HoJo's as part of our world trip for our Honeymoon.
Location is good to Disneyland. The rooms are a good size but road noise is quite bad. We were in Building one. We originally booked in building four, but they nicely upgraded us to a Disneyland view. We had an issue with our booking, that the rate was $50 higher per night than what we had booked. I was lucky I had email correspondance from HOJO's central reservations, but their systems dont seem to be well linked. Make sure you take confirmation of your booking price. I enjoyed the hotel. I enjoyed the convineince of buying our disneyland tickets there and the shop was handy. We tended to eat at the restaurants down the road, and we orded in one night. Overall I enjoyed my stay.
There are a lot of hotels around here, and next time, I would probably stay at another hotel, as they all seem much of a muchness. My main complaint would be over the booking, and having to produce proof our our rate.

• Stayed: January 2006