“Ok, issues with the booking”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed February 6, 2006

We stayed at HoJo's as part of our world trip for our Honeymoon.
Location is good to Disneyland. The rooms are a good size but road noise is quite bad. We were in Building one. We originally booked in building four, but they nicely upgraded us to a Disneyland view. We had an issue with our booking, that the rate was $50 higher per night than what we had booked. I was lucky I had email correspondance from HOJO's central reservations, but their systems dont seem to be well linked. Make sure you take confirmation of your booking price. I enjoyed the hotel. I enjoyed the convineince of buying our disneyland tickets there and the shop was handy. We tended to eat at the restaurants down the road, and we orded in one night. Overall I enjoyed my stay.
There are a lot of hotels around here, and next time, I would probably stay at another hotel, as they all seem much of a muchness. My main complaint would be over the booking, and having to produce proof our our rate.

12  Thank bobdobalina

Reviewed February 4, 2006

My wife and 2 young children (7 and 9)recently stayed at this hotel in Jan 2006 for 3 nights. The booking was made direct with the hotel. We drove from Hollywood and found it easily just off the freeway. We arrived early around lunch and were allocated a room immediately.The room was spacious with 2 queens as requested. The room and bathroom were spacious clean and quiet. Once we worked out how the heating worked it was warm as well. Being a 10 minute stroll to the front gate of Disneyland meant the location was excellent. The pool was great as well. No porterage is offered but car parking is complementary not far from the entrance with lift access. The only critisism I have is that the rate of $134 is well above some close by establishments. The rate as mentioned was direct and was in excess of rates offered by other internet hotel providers for this hotel. The upside of this was that no deposit was required and cancellation was possible before arrival. Would definitely stay again but would try for a lower rate first. Friends of ours stayed closer to the main gate for $69 almost half our rate the same week and had a continental breakfast included. I didn't see their room. I would recommend the Howard Johnson to anyone who is looking for an upmarket establishment for a premium with children.

17  Thank munjarra
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2006

Within a 5 minute walk to Disneyland's main gate. Our room had a balcony and overlooked Disneyland so that we were able to watch the fireworks from the balcony. The room type was NQQ1 and we were in room 1607 which was very comfortable for the four of us. The only downside to this hotel is the proximity to the I5 freeway which is unrelenting even through the night. This hotel is currently undergoing foyer renovations. Staff were friendly and helpful. Probably wouldn't stay here again due to the freeway noise although probably every other hotel on South Harbour Blde would suffer the same noise.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2006

Our family of 4 (children 9 and 6) stayed from 12 Dec to 16 Dec 2005. The hotel check in was easy and room was roomy and comfortable. Building 1 level 6 facing Disneyland (bonus seeing the fireworks everynight we were there). This hotel (like other reviews state) is 5 minutes walk to Disneyland. The gift shop staff are excellent and have everything you need and also helpful if you need some information. Having a guest laundry (at reasonable cost) was a bonus when staying away for long periods. Anaheim is easy to Navigate by bus. We caught it to shopping malls and Knotts Berry Farm. The hotel met our expectations and we were pleased we stayed there. We would definately stay again. The Graham Family

• Stayed: December 2005
14  Thank alwysluv2travel
grand blanc, MI
Reviewed January 22, 2006

We stayed at the Howard Johnson's in Anaheim while visiting Disneyland. It is so easy to walk to the park. We were able to watch the Disney fireworks at night from the hot tub at the hotel! Room was large and the serivce was good. Great place for families.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Salem, OR
Reviewed January 20, 2006

We had a great Disneyland vacation. Unfortunately 3 of the 5 nights our key cards wouldn't let us in the room. Here it was nearly midnight each night, exhausted, and one of us had to get help from the front desk to let us in the room by security. UNFORTUNATELY, 2 of those 3 nights security didn't even attempt to ID us in any way - they just let us in, no questions asked. The front desk didn't try to identify us 3 of the 3 times.

All of our belongs and lap-top computer were in there!

The stay was great otherwise. Beware that security seems breached, however; don't let yourself get too comfortable when you see a guy in a suit with a badge.

• Stayed: April 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded February 14, 2006

Dear TripAdvisor Salem, OR

I sincerely apologize for the problems, which you encountered while staying as my guest. We are committed to providing a high level of security for our guests and have an exceptionally good safety record. I sincerely regret that our security personnel failed to follow our standard operating procedures.

We are very active with the Anaheim Police Department and their T.O.P. program (Tourist Oriented Policing). We attend their monthly meetings and regularly review our practices with the police and other security professionals to ensure that we operate safely.

I believe TripAdvisor is a great forum for hotel guests and managers and this is another great example of how we can partner with each other through this great site. I reviewed your concerns with my security guards and we had a very positive discussion with them regarding our security procedures. As a result, one gentleman decided that it would be best for him to resign and find a line of work that would suite him better. So your comments resulted in a win/win outcome for my guests as well as this particular employee. And no, this is not a manager’s way of saying I fired him :)

Again, thank you for sharing your experience. Please contact me if you would like to discuss it in great detail or if you have any remaining concerns.

Best regards,

William Cleaver

Reviewed January 18, 2006

My family of 3 stayed at HOJO's the second week of January 2006 for 3 nights. We splurged and requested a suite in bldg 1, which was on the top floor with a view of the Matterhorn. The suite was HUGE, the bathroom was HUGE, there were two balconies and the room itself was very nicely appointed. The decor did not seem dated at all - perhaps this particular room has had more of a facelift than other rooms have had. The countertops were slab granite, the king size bed had a down comforter and feather pillows - what a treat. I highly recommend this room for parents wanting a little privacy after a long day at the park - it's worth the extra money (which was still cheap compared to any of the Disney properties).

We were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The room was impeccably cleaned every day and if we needed anything (like another blanket for the QS sleeper sofa) we received it right away. Bottled water was delivered daily as well, which was a nice touch.

Mimi's has the best food at the most reasonable prices - definitely eat there. They also prepare food for take-out which we took advantage of. Yum!

The only knock I have is that they began a major remodeling project in the reception area/main parking lot the day we arrived, which was pretty noisy fairly early in the morning, but hey, that just means it will be even nicer when we visit again.

Our vacation was a success because of our stay at HOJO's - we would defintely stay there again.

20  Thank VerySatisfied