“Would not recommend”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Springfield, Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Stayed with my family for 3 nights. Told we would see fireworks from disney {my main reason to stay], could not through the trees. The only thing I did enjoy was the laundry room. That was nice. Hotel was just not what I pictured as on the internet. Front desk didn't care to ask any questions requarding stay. They seemed more into getting you in and out. Also our room was not ready when we checked in after driving 14 hours, they ask if we could come back in 1 hour. Well of course what else were we to do. We have one hotel we have always stayed in, in Anaheim. We thought we would give another a try. Not again. We will go to our normal place.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded July 24, 2005

Dear TripAdvisor Member, Springfield, Oregon

Thank you for your review of my hotel; I apologize that we did not live up to your expectations.

Whenever possible, we accommodate requests for early check-in. However, during peak demand periods we are often unable to accommodate all early check-in requests. Additionally, since a specific room type was requested our pool of available rooms was further limited.

Our check-out time is 12:00 noon and our check-in time is 3PM; you arrived at 1:28 PM on July 3, 2005. Early check-in requests are prioritized based on whether a member of the party is very young, very old, ill, or has special needs. We do our best but sometimes make mistakes and of course there is always room for improvement.

We do store luggage, provide parking permits, and make our pools available to our early arrivals when an early check-in request cannot be granted.

Best regards,

Bill Cleaver

Write a ReviewReviews (7,829)

Reviewed July 10, 2005

I've traveled the world over and have stayed in many different hotels of all types. When I give five stars to the HoJo Anaheim, I don't mean to imply that it's as luxurious or world-class as the Peninsula Beverly Hills or the St. Regis in New York. But for what it sets out to do, which is to provide a clean, comfortable atmosphere and solicitous, caring service, the HoJo Anaheim excels in every way. From our flawless check-in to the friendly early-morning check-out, each and every aspect of our stay was superlative. The rooms are spotlessly clean (and trust me, we looked), pleasantly decorated, the beds very comfortable (with real feather pillows!), and the property was easy walking-distance to Disneyland Resort, just across the street and a block or two down Harbor Blvd. Our trip was too short for us to be able to enjoy any of the pools, but they looked as inviting and pleasant as the rooms. An admitted hotel snob, I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2005
19  Thank gmi3804
Reviewed July 5, 2005

I have stayed at lots of hotels in the Disneyland area. We just came last year and because of a granddaughter getting a chance to dance with her dance studio in Disneyland, we had to make a trip one year later.

As we all do, we spent a lot of money last year so this time we were looking to curb the cost a little and stay at a less expensive hotel.

We stayed at the HoJo June 25 - July 2, 2005. We had a room on the 6th floor, Building One facing the park booked through Mousesavers. We were looking for a place best suited to take young grandchildren. The reviews convinced us that this was a well-priced clean hotel with good staff.

What did we find? All of the above but more. The room had two queen beds and plenty of room, this works well for a family. This property is very clean, beautifully landscaped, two nice pools, 1' kiddie pool and a speedy spray area for the children. The staff was the best I've ever encountered. The grocery store staff were lots of fun.

We are in our early 50's and walked everyday back and forth from the park in 6-8 minutes one way. If you can't walk it, you'll never make it in Disneyland where walking is essential. Don't bother with the tram passes.

Everyone mentions Mimi's across the street but it's a wonderful place to eat. Get orders to go and split them, portions are large. Next to Mimi's is a McDonalds with an ATM. We also had Papa John's deliver pizza to the poolside, very good.

The fireworks for the 50th are fabulous and even if you don't have a fireworks view like our room, you have a fantastic view from the pool or parking lot.

Some quick tips: Take bottled water into the park, its $2.75 per bottle. You can get a locker for $5 per day. Pay the extra and go to a character meal, we like the Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Reservations are accepted 30 days in advance. Do not miss seeing the fireworks one night in the park, fabulous! The parades are wonderful too. They did a soft opening of Space Mountain, the grandparents survived and loved it, it opens officially July 20th.

Don't forget California Adventure, small kids shouldn't miss Bug's Land, adults - Soarin' Over California. Engine Ear Toys has a great
disney-themed Potato Head package that you stuff for $18 box, stuff the empty potato inside first before putting in the box. Also, go see how they make tortillas and sourdough bread.

I will no longer spend the extra for hotels, I'm a HoJo fan and will be back. Believe the reviews, it's an excellent value.

24  Thank GrammyBecky
Reviewed July 5, 2005

We just returned from a 6 night stay at the Howard Johnson hotel in Anaheim 6/26-7/2. Our room was in building one, sixth floor with a Disney view. We watched the fireworks from our balcony our first night there, we also overlooked their beautiful pool, which the kids absolutely loved. Check-in was great; the nice lady who checked us in was very helpful and informative! The room was very large, we had plenty of space for the 4 of us, and the fridge got a lot of use! The hotel is very clean; we didn't have any problems with noise. We parked our car on Sunday and didn't touch it again until we had to leave on Saturday - we were able to park it so we could see it from our room. It was a very easy walk to the parks, when we returned in the afternoon and evenings we would take the ART shuttle and the Howard Johnson is the first stop on the return which is great for those tired feet! To sum it all up the staff was very friendly and helpful, the rooms were spacious and clean and the grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We have a new preferred hotel when we come to Disneyland and will happily recommend it to anyone

20  Thank Dannielle A
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2005

Location is good; room is spacious; pools are fun. I could even see the firework from the room. Well worth the price. Will definitely stay there again.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Based on the reviews at tripadvisor, I changed my hotel reservations in order to stay here. It was a smart choice. I wanted a clean hotel within walking distance of Disneyland. We were in a deluxe room in building one with a microwave, fridge and coffee maker. Our balcony faced the Matterhorn. There was absolutely nothing to complain about in the room. Best of all, my 5-, 6- and 9-yr-olds never complained that it was too far to get to the park. We were even able to leave Disneyland for an early dinner at a restaurant near the gates and quickly drop any leftovers back in the room before heading back to the park. Mimi's Restaurant is next to the motel. It has good food, good service and cute decor. I would definitely stay at the Howard Johnson again.

Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank halfcrazymom
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Me and my fiance stayed in this hotel in February and it was awesome. We had a great time. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to vist Disneyland. We walked everyday to Disneyland which was very close, the staff was amazing always helpful, there was a great restaurant called Mimi's right across the street and the two pools were always clean and the right temperature.
I had read a review that the highway noise was awful but we had a room that was on the highway side and we could hardly tell unless we had the door or window open.
We had a great trip and enjoyed every minute of it. The only problem we had while we were there is that we went on a tour of L.A. and it was awful. Number one our driver told us an elaborate story of how she was rich and famous and that she was driving for Cancer so in order to donate she sold her book (which we bought). At the end of the story after putting all the pieces together we realized it must be a scam. So I would not recommend the tour of L.A. because we didn't really see anything that amazing except the farmers market which was only neat.
I have to say that I did not have one problem with this hotel. The location is perfect. I would definetly stay there again if I ever visit Anaheim again.

• Stayed: February 2005