“Just Ok Hotel!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Just Ok Hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2005

We just returned from staying at the Hojo for 4 nights and I was also dissapointed based on the reviews I had read.

The hotel seemed more like a motel to me than a hotel and while the location was very good, there were other hotels closer to the entrance of Disneyland.

We were in building 2 so the freeway traffic did not bother us; however, the room was noisy due to its proximity to the office and bus loading area. We did not get a chance to use the pool so can't comment on that.

The room we were given was average and did not include a microwave, but it did have a mini fridge which was very convenient. The pillows were horrible and our request for extra pillows went unanswered.

I do have to say that the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the hotel and the rooms were very clean.

All in all, if you are looking for a budget hotel that is clean and accesible, then the Hojo is it.....but if you are looking for a little more from a hotel, then go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Czech first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2005

I'm just now getting around to write this report so I don't really remember which building I was in, it was toward the back overlooking the quiet pool. We had an extremely large room equipped with a microwave and refrigerator, a large bathroom, nice sized closet and a desk as well as two queen sized beds. I for one actually liked the color scheme, I didn't think it looked out dated at all. To the contrary I thought it looked quite modern and the furnishings were obviously new so I'm not sure how others got the impression that they were not.

All in all we had a wonderful stay, the pool is excellent and we used it every day with our kids. The children's pool/sprayground are just great. Mimi's is excellent, not exactly as close as the website makes it seem, but still accessible. The only complaint I have, and it wasn't even enough to warrant me saying anything at the time, is that we lacked a balcony. I think though that we had an extra large room (corner) so I imagine that makes up for it somewhat. Like I said, not very important to me but something I had hoped for, a disney view off of a balcony. Can't win them all!

I would definitely recommend this hotel, just don't expect something super modern looking on the outside, it definitely is a "mid-century" hotel. More than wonderful interiors though.

• Stayed August 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

I love this hotel. The employees are extremely friendly and they take very good care of the hotel and guests. The pool is a great for the kids.
It is within walking distance to Disneyland and on the way you can stop at Mickey D's for breakfast.
I would always recommend this hotel and I can't believe it's as affordable as it is.
Highly recommend!!!

• Stayed September 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

Excellent staff - very friendly and helpful. Room was clean and tastefully remodeled. The balcony faced the second pool which was very pretty with all the greenery. The walk to Disneyland was exactly as said: 7 minutes. I made reservations by phone; again staff was very friendly and helpful with all my questions. It is a convenient location, easy to find and restaurants within walking distance. We had a great time. Thank you Howard Johnson!

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank smallUtahfamily
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2005

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Hojo Anaheim and it did not meet my expectations that I had based on the popularity rating. We stayed in building 2 facing the pool on ground floor, so we didn't have any noise from the freeway which was good but I found it noisy from the balcony doors opening & closing in other rooms above and beside us and also noisy pipes. The toilet was also very loud when flushed, so loud that it scared my 3 yr old son and we had to warn him to cover his ears after any of us used the toilet. Overall it was pretty clean but the shower had many black spots around the tiles and on the shower curtain (not sure if that is mold or mildew) and I did notice some stains on the carpet but that is to be expected from an older hotel. The front desk staff seemed quite helpful and unfortunetly we didn't have a chance to try out the pool or spray area. I found it to be just an average hotel.

6 Thank Sacchin888
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, June 20, 2005
Dear TripAdvisor Member, Vancouver, BC:

Thank you for your recent review of the Anaheim Howard Johnson Hotel. We are dedicated to providing great service, clean rooms, and value for our guests. TripAdvisor reviews as well as our Howard Johnson electronic guest surveys help us to focus on our successes as well as our failures. I sincerely apologize that we did not meet your expectations.

Due to frequent water droughts in southern California we have converted our toilets from conventional toilets to pressure assist reduced water toilets. These toilets are a bit louder than conventional toilets but save about 39% on water, which helps our utility bills, which helps us maintain lower rates as well as helps the ecology. I apologize that your son was startled by the flushing noise.

We have also recently switched our cleaning chemicals to 100% natural non-toxic products as we move towards a more eco-friendly way to run our hotel. We will use guest reviews and our inspections to quickly adjust to our new cleaning products and methods. Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and help us improve.

Best regards,

Bill Cleaver

san antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2005

Our two queen bed room was oversized and the sink outside the bathroom was an added plus with more than two in a room. The hotel has two pools, a hot tub you can see the Disney fireworks from and very friendly staff.
The refrigerator in the room helps with cost of feeding kids. You can get cereal, milk, etc. in the on- property store.
I had read reviews about the noise from the highway, and although you can hear it, we stayed on Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills and the noise was worse!! We walked to Disney each morning and dinner at Mimi's outside the hotel had great reasonably priced food. I would suggest the hotel to anyone on a budget!!

6 Thank mmskeans
Boise, ID
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2005

We had a very nice time staying at the Howard Johnson. We booked our stay through a popular on-line travel agency - and just as an FYI - you get the basic room with (no microwave or desk). We had packed some food to save money, and were hoping that we could request a microwave be added to our room. Unfortunately microwaves are only available in certain rooms and cannot be added to the basic rooms. The staff at Howard Johnson’s were very helpful to accommodate our request for the home office room, so that we could have the microwave, and other features. (The microwave in that room was broken, but quickly replaced). We were very glad we switched because we now had a balcony view of the park, and were treated to an amazing fireworks display every night (in preparation of the 50th anniversary celebration??) The room was very clean, and the staff was helpful and courteous. The two pools were nice but VERY crowded, on more than one occasion; we had to request more towels be brought out. Our 2 year old loved the little splash area next to the pool. The walking distance to DL was awesome; it was great to be so close. HoJo, was a great place to stay, but had a few shortcomings. We came to see Disneyland, not the hotel, and would definitely stay at Hojo's again.

• Stayed April 2005