Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Bellevue
“I-5 noise...”
Reviewed April 2, 2005

I-5 is one of the busiest freeways in LA, and this hotel is right on it. We had one of the best rooms in the hotel, away from the freeway and with Disneyland view, but still the noise was unsettling.

Otherwise, a great hotel considering the price and location.

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank archippus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (822)
  • Czech first
Berkeley, California
Reviewed April 1, 2005

We just returned a few hours ago from a 3-night stay (3/29 - 3/31). We decided to stay here based on the reviews on tripadvisor and disney-related web sites. Overall (with one notable exception) we were extremely happy with the hotel. It's very convenient - one (very) long block from Disneyland, close to the I5 ramps, and all by itself (not wedged between any other hotels). It's very easy to get in and out of - I would say alot easier than the hotels closer to Disneyland. A left turn signal off of Harbor onto a takes you right into a large free parking lot at the hotel. One little perk of this hotel is that you can cross Harbor at this light and walk to the park on the side of the street opposite from all of the other hotels. This side of the street is practically deserted, which makes you feel less stressed out in the morning (you're not part of the mob scene at the light closer to the park) and less stressed out later in the day (you're not one of the walking dead).

All of the staff was without exception excellent - professional and friendly. We worked with the night, morning, and afternoon desk staff, and do not have a single negative commment. Everytime I stepped into the front I was immediately approached by a staffperson and never had to wait more than 1-2 minutes to be helped.

The store is open from 7 A.M. to 11 P.M. and is completely packed with food, fruit, snacks, drinks, sundries, and gifts. The women who run the store are incredibly friendly - one of them mentioned that HoJo's wants them to change their inventory and this makes no sense to me - it's like a Target packed into 150 square feet.

My kids loved the main pool (the one near the front office), which is open until midnight. there were typically 15 kids in the pool and they had lots of room around them. Lots of kids were running through the part that squirts water into the air - this was my son's favorite part. One day I was walking to the self-serve laundry in Building 2 (which has 3 new-looking front-load washers and 3 dryers for $1 a load), and saw the back pool. Expecting to find a llittle bath tub, I was impressed by its size - as there are no kiddie pools, this is more of the adult/couples pool).

We had one dinner at Mimi's, which is right next to the hotel. We went in at 6:15 on a busy night and were seated in 20 minutes. The food was very good, interesting, and plentiful.

We didn't use the arcade, but I was impressed that it was much more than a closet-sized room with 3 or 4 old and/or broken machines. It's about 175 square feet, is very clean, open and airy, and has an air hockey table and 10 video games. It's located right next to the store and a short walk to the pool so it's easy to get to and maintain contact with your kids.

So what was my beef? Our first night they put us in a room on the second floor of Building 5 facing the highway and the noise was constant and loud. You could hear a motorcycle coming and going a 1/2 mile away. I thought when I woke up the legendary LA traffic would lower the noise but no dice. Again, they were nice enough to move us to a 2nd floor room in Building 4 (which is next to the pool). Great room - especially because our room faced away from the pool and towards Building 6. The difference in noise level was amazing. Here I actually forgot we were so close to the highway.

The bottom line? I would stay here again in a heartbeat as long as I could be assured my room didn't face the highway (the best way to achieve this is to pay extra to get one of the rooms that face Disneyland). Great staff, nice clean large rooms, walking distance from Disneyland.

27 Thank psychcal
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2005

Just returned from our trip to Disneyland and stay at HoJo Anaheim. Hotel grounds, location to Disneyland and staff were great. Room was clean and bed was very comfortable. First night room was in Bldg. 1, 4th floor and traffic noise was horrendous as room was facing freeway (even with a/c fan on). Staff was very accommodating in changing room to Bldg. 3, ground floor for last three nights. I would recommend this hotel, but only for rooms NOT facing freeway.

10 Thank Windygnf
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 24, 2005

We stayed at this HoJo for two nights, March 15 - 16, 2005. Our room was in Building One and our balcony was practically on I-5. As a result, we did not get very much sleep the first night, as we could hear the traffic zooming by at all hours of the night. The second night we slept with our heads at the foot of the bed because the way the room was set up we could hear the traffic a lot more with our heads by the headboard, and that helped a little.

Aside from the lack of sleep, it was a good place to stay, especially for the price through Priceline. The lady who checked us in was very accommodating when I had not requested a non-smoking room originally and asked to move after we were placed in a smoking one. And being so close to Disneyland was also a great plus.

6 Thank LoveNatParks
Stockton, CA
Reviewed March 23, 2005

We stayed here from 3/13/05 - 3/16/05, building one, 5th floor Disney view.
We were promised connecting rooms and got them. The thing that struck me most about the rooms were the huge windows looking out to the balcony. As the evening wore on & Disneyland came alive with lights, it added so much to the kid's anticipation of the next day's fun.
Also, you can leave your curtains open all day & night if you wish without compromising your privacy, I loved that. I decided right then & there to never book a room at a hotel with exterior corridors again.

Housekeeping was excellent, check in people were excellent & the woman running the gift shop the evening of 3/15 was so charming, helpful & friendly - a real asset to the hotel.

The kids took advantage of the heated pool on our last night there - it was truly bath water warm! Large towels are provided for drying off & it was definitely a family atmosphere.

Overall - this is a wonderful hotel for your Disney experience. It's close enough to walk if you choose to do so. Read the Hojo website & look at the pictures of the room types - everything is accurately portrayed. Also, you won't find a more helpful staff & manager (Bill Cleaver) to answer your questions. You really come away feeling that they aim to please. This hotel definitely added to our Disney vacation experience.

The only cons that I experienced were low water pressure in the shower & the water was a bit too soft for my taste. I think that's the norm in S. California hotels, though.

14 Thank StocktonMom
Nanaimo, B.C.
Reviewed March 22, 2005

We just arrived back from our stay at The Howard Johnson. We stayed in building one, fifth floor and had a great view of the pool, Matterhorn, the Monorail zipping past and the nightly fireworks. The great thing about this was this was the EXACT room that I had requested via email a month before. The staff and management were wonderful. I loved the personalized touch of the note from William Simpson (Sales and Marketing Director) THANKS!!!
We travelled with our 2 children (3 & 5) and found the location excellent. Sure a shorter communte to the park would have been great but it was only a 10 min. walk. Our kids loved the pool and the games room.
The room was great. Very spacious, extremely clean and had great ammenities. The gift shop was used for the occassional snack and "beverage".
Make sure when you go to the park that you take a backpack full of bottled water, fruit and snacks. We felt that this saved us a lot of money on buying food within the park. When we needed a bigger meal, we went into Downtown Disney and grabbed a pizza and shared it amongst the 4 of us. Only $22 for a medium pizza.
Nightly our main meal was at Mimi's. We ate in once and the rest we had take out. I wish there was a Mimi's in my area. It is AWESOME! Fantastic food, huge portions (our kids shared one meal), excellent prices and great attentive staff!
All in all it was a great trip. It rained one day, but with the purchase of rain ponchos, NO PROBLEM! The rain thins out the crowds a bit.

Thank you Howard Johnson, we will return!!!

25 Thank JohnsonFamily
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 18, 2005

Stayed four nights (14-18 March 2005) with two adults and two children in a double queen room in building #2. Room was nice, clean and fairly large. Our room faced the smaller of the two pools and we didn't experience any noise problems from either the pool or Interstate 5 which borders the hotel property. Small mini-fridge was a plus. We ate breakfast in the room each morning having shopped at a nearby Von's Supermarket the night of our arrival. Took plenty of snacks to Disney each day, they check backpacks at entry but don't seem to care if you bring in food and drinks. Ended up making the day much easier as we didn't need to stop for lunch or pay high park prices for food. Free USA Today can be picked up in the hotel's mini-mart each day. Very short walk to Disney, less than 10 minutes. Property seemed well kept and clean. Only dealt with the staff on check-in and check-out. Both went quickly. Would definitely stay here again as the price was good ($74.00 per night) and location very convenient.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member