“Nice clean rooms, freeway not so great”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Burns Lake, B.C.
“Nice clean rooms, freeway not so great”
Reviewed March 12, 2009

We heard alot about the Howard Johnson and thought we'd give it a try. We have previously stayed at the Sheraton but found the shuttle not for us. We would rather walk and leave the park at our leisure. The front desk was very professional and overall are 7 night stay was enjoyable except for the noise from the freeway. We were in Tower 1 and I do not recommend any rooms on the freeway side. We are from a small town and the noise was incredibly loud. We would stay here again but would stay in a different area. Millie's restaurant was a big plus and the walk was just perfect.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Czech first
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed March 12, 2009

This was my first stay at HOJO Anaheim, and I was not disappointed! I usually stay at the Anaheim Plaza Hotel when I visit Disneyland, but I got an unbeatable rate with the Entertainment Book. This will be my new "home base" for trips to the Park!

I arrived a few hours before the 3pm check in time, but there was a room ready for me to check in. The staff are super-helpful, and gave me a top-floor room (as I had requested in my reservation) with a view of the pool (which was an added bonus!).

I had the Standard Double (2 almost-queen-sized beds) room. It was clean and well-maintained. The bed and pillows were SOOOOO comfortable! I wanted to take the pillows home with me! Being a top-floor room, it had 2 arched skylights and a high, arched ceiling, which I just loved; they made the room feel much bigger than it was!

The hotel is right across the street from Disneyland...it took me 12 minutes to walk from my room to the security check at the gates of the Park.

Both pool areas were very nice; the hot tub was a great way to wind down after walking around the Park all day!

Overall, my stay at the HOJO Anaheim was great! I plan on booking my family holiday vacation here this year!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank thetravelingsquid
Edmonton
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We were very pleased with this hotel, the staff was very helpful and the beds were soooo comfortable. I would request Building #1 facing the park. Pirates Cove was so fun for the kids (8 & 10) . Its a very quick walk to Disneyland Park, McDonalds close by as well. Mimi's restaurant very reasonable for breakfast, lots of food. We didn't have a microwave in our room, which I thought we would get, but wasn't that big a deal. We did use the fridge which was helpful for sure. The gift shop has everything you can think of. We would definately stay here again on our next trip to Anaheim.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Saskatchewan
Reviewed March 10, 2009

We have stayed here at least 6 times in the past 3 years and we are always impressed with the service - especially the front desk. They are pleasant, helpful and professional. The rooms are clean, a good size and a good price. We stay on the side facing Disneyland.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Utah
Reviewed March 7, 2009

When I first went looking around for a hotel for our Disneyland trip, I was determined to find a hotel within walking distance so that we wouldn't have to rely on the transit. After narrowing the hotels to only those within walking distance, the HoJo became the obvious choice. The reviews on here were glowing so I figured that we couldn't go wrong. And I was right! Our room was a good size and equipped with a refrigerator and microwave. The two queen-sized beds were VERY comfortable and ranked right up there with 4 star hotels I've stayed in. Your choice of pillows and down comforters (might have been down alternative) made it easy to get much needed rest after a full day at the parks or beach.

The grounds were nicely kept. The laundry facilities and gift shop were convenient and useful. My boys (6 and 3) loved the Pirate's Cove water park. That alone is reason enough to stay again.

TIP: We booked our trip through Get Away Today and got a good price but I've heard others getting even better deals from the Entertainment coupon books.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We arrived at the hotel on Feb.17th, 2009 around 3:00pm for a 7 night stay. Travellers included myself, husband, 15 year old son and 6 year old daughter.
Check-in (according to the sign posted on the desk) said 4:00pm although my email confirmation stated it to be 3:00pm. This was no problem checking in early and eveything went smoothly. Staff was pleasant. Originally when I booked the room I requested a Disney facing room in Bldg. 1 and my request was granted. We were located on the 5th floor looking towards Disneyland. It was nice to have the small balcony to step outside on to check the temperature every morning, although we didn't use it for anything else. I'm glad we were placed on the higher floor of this building as I don't know if you would see Disneyland from lower floors (something you might want to check with the hotel on). I managed to get this room for $79 US/night with the entertainment card!

Our room had 2 queen beds, a large, long desk area and an additional counter area for a large suitcase. There was a small round table and 2 chairs located near the window (balcony) which we used daily to eat our breakfast at every morning. The bathroom was smaller than I thought and there was not alot of counter space due to the shape (banjo-style) of the countertop over the toilet. There was, however, an additional sink and countertop outside of the bathroom, which we found to be quite convenient. Room also had a microwave and decent sized fridge which we put to good use. There was also a very large closet at the entrance.

The beds were the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept in (besides mine at home)! I believe these are fairly new mattresses and the bedding was above adequate. The TV worked although the clarity was not the best. The shower always seemed to have enough hot water, however, the pressure was not as strong as we like at home.

The location of the hotel is maybe about a 5-7 minute pleasant walk to the main entrance of Disneyland (where everyone has to go to before you actually through the park to the turnstiles). I don't understand why so many people complain about the walk from their hotel to the park. Do you not plan on walking around Disneyland all day?!!! If my six year old daughter can do it for 5 days straight it can't be that far. Besides, it's a pleasant walk knowing that all that fun is just waiting for you! Perhaps the return home walk after a very full day is a lot for a very young child to do, but they'll make it! Or mom/dad can always offer a piggyback ride.

The gift shop had everything you could need, including cereal and milk which we had for most breakfasts. McDonald's is very close by and my hubby ran out a few mornings to pick up breakfast as well.

We rented a vehicle while down there and the hotel has free parking which was great.

Staff was always very friendly and pleasant.

Overall, this hotel is very comfortable, clean, and staffed with great people. The location is great with restaurants across the street. We would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank changr
Calgary, AB
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I took my son to Disneyland for a two week period ending Feb 7/09. We stayed at the Howard Johnson the entire time and had a terrific time. The pool and water park area were terrific and my son quite enjoyed his time at both. Staff were very pleasant and extremely helpful in assisting us with whatever tours/taxis we needed and fielding questions on a regular basis. Location was great - a short 10 minute walk to Disneyland, California Adventure and Downtown Disney - restaurants in the area were so, so - tired of them after a while of course. We stayed in building 2 at the back so noise was very minimal. I only rated value as a 3 as I paid more per night than another guest I was talking to - they used entertainment card - but so did I and they paid almost half less per night than me so I should have been more diligent in "getting the best deal" for us. Hotel is pleasant and modern. Internet was available for no charge in main office. Definitely a nice hotel, certainly appeared to be more comfortable than the ones we walked past on the way to the park. Room was cleaned daily - linens, bedding, towels were all comfortable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family