“Great comfortable hotel- highly recommended for Disney bound holidaymakers!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great comfortable hotel- highly recommended for Disney bound holidaymakers!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2004

We stayed here for 2 nights in early Septemeber and found it to be a very comfortable hotel. The room was large and shower had great pressure! The hotel had great amenities and it was a 10 min walk to Disneyland!! The only thing I would say is, if possible, ask for a room NOT facing the freeway. The noise was quite bad, but we slept regardless due to Disneyland exhaustion!! Recommended.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (795)
  • Czech first
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2004

We recently stayed at the Howard Johnson Hotel in Anaheim. We had a great experience and great service. We have allergies to feather pillows and advised the desk. They had extra pillows delivered right away. The staff was very friendly and thorough. As for the location, it was perfect. We had no trouble walking back and forth from Disneyland to the hotel many times throughout the day. It was right across the street from Disneyland and very accessible to the Interstate we needed to get to other areas. We would highly recommend this hotel.

Pittsburg, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2004

We stayed at the Howard Johnson from 9/8-9/12. The hotel is great and the staff was more than helpful at all times. I think the best part of the hotel was its swimming pools with the Sprayground. While in Anaheim, it was always in the high 90's and being able to cool off along with my wife and 3 year old son was great! The Sprayground isn't huge, but no other hotel has it... I think my son liked Sprayground more than Disney at times? The freeway roar was a bit intrusive and we couldn't take advantage of the cool night air as you can hear all the 18 wheelers pass by. The noise isn't bad as long as the balcony doors are closed though. The walk to Disney is a mere 10 minutes and Mimi's Cafe, Mcdonald's and IHOP are on your way to Disney which made it perfect for us! Mimi's Cafe is great! Service could not be better! Cheers to Amy(manager) who made our dining experience "A#1". If we come back during the warm season, we'll be back for Sprayground!

• Stayed September 2004
1 Thank joel1316
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2004

We found an excellent rate and decided to try this hotel. We were not disappointed in our stay. Our room was in building 2 on the 3rd floor about the furthest from the entrance of the hotel and the start of the walk to Disneyland. We probably could have asked for another room, but we figured with our great discounted rate who could complain. While you could see the freeway and hear the noise from the hallway it was very quiet in the room.

Fridge and free highspeed internet access was great.

Room was clean and comfortable. Beds were also comfortable. Air conditioner worked well in keeping the room cool.

We did use both the quiet pool (right outside building 2) and the family pool (near the entrance).
Only complaint with the hotel would be that in the family pool they used pavers instead of a cooler surface, so on a hot day, the little kids were burning their feet on the pavers going from the kid pool to the playarea. (So were the adults for that matter). Hotel staff was quick to replinish pool towels.

The hotel maps states it is a 7 minute walk to Disneyland. We always forgot to time it. It is 1 parking lot (mimi's) and cross a street walking distance then from the Fairfield inn.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North of UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2004

Thought I had posted a review from our stay in mid-July but must have not followed it through.
We had a great 3 day stay here in mid-July which started with very friendly e-mails from Willie Simpson who met us when we checked in and made us very welcome. We didn't see Willie again or any of the front desk staff apart from checking out such was the quality of our stay.
We had a lovely quiet room overlooking the second pool and found the walk to Disney a quick 10 minutes or so just enough to walk off the breakfasts we enjoyed at Millies.
We stayed at many other hotels during our 3 weeks touring holiday and for value for money and friendliness the HOJO could not be beaten.

1 Thank UStraveller
Genoa, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2004

We stayed here two nights in August while we visited Disneyland. Everyone was friendly, the facilities were good, free internet, laundry room, pool (never used it) and the price was good too. The only thing I would say is that remember that behind the hotel there is the 101 freeway. So, make sure you get as far away as possible as traffic runs 24/7. For us it wasn't too much of a problem, we were so tired after being at Disneyland all day we went straight to sleep.

• Stayed August 2004
1 Thank nickdring
Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

My 6 years-old daughter and I stayed Aug. 21 - Aug. 28, 2004. We arrived early and was able to check in right away. This was great. I was a little dissapointed to find out that Bldg #2 was way in the back of the property. The walk to and from Disneyland was not bad at all. When I am on a vacation such as this, there are only two reasons for a hotel room: to sleep and to bathe. We had no problem with sleeping. The bedding was fairly clean and the noise level was not a problem at all. However, the towels that were left in our room were horrible. The face towels and bath towels were very dingy. The floor mat was alot whiter and so was our tennis shoes. In one night, I sent them back to housekeeping three times. They seem to get worse with each return. I was told that the housekeeping manager had hand picked the ones that I received and I was promised new towels twice. They were still not acceptable. Finally, I went to Target and to bought my own face towels. Then each night I went to the pool to pick out white bath towels on my own. I did get "new" towels that next night but after that it just seemed to get worse. This hotel was deceit and if I stay here again, I will bring my own towels.

1 Thank Cheri K
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, October 4, 2004
Dear TripAdvisor User, St. Paul, MN:

Thank you for your business and for your comments about our towels. We are proud of our laundry department and assure you that our towels and bed linen are always clean and sanitary. My Housekeeper did sort through towels to find you our best and even unpacked some brand new towels to accommodate your request but we were unable to meet your expectations. Although I have never received a complaint of this nature before I know that according to the White House Office of Consumer Affairs 96% of customers do not complain out loud. So I take your comment seriously, not only because we did not meet your expectations but also as a possible harbinger of other unvoiced complaints.

I appreciate your high standards and share your same values. We work with Ecolab Company (the nation’s leading hotel chemical supply company) to fulfill the hotel’s chemical needs. Our Laundry Department’s main goal is to balance two primary objectives: clean, sanitary, bright white terry/linen and minimal negative impact on the environment. Your comments suggest that we still have some work to do regarding the first objective. We are meeting with Ecolab and challenging them to help us produce even better results.

One of our main challenges in keeping our laundry bright white is the City of Anaheim’s high mineral content in the water. Hard water is measured in grains of hardness and Anaheim’s is quite high at 24 grains. If the water chemistry is not just right any mineral residue can burn in the hotel’s dryers causing the terry fibers to gray which can make the towels look dingy (but they are not dirty).

Thank you for keeping us on our toes!