“Great to be back!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We used to stay here for all of our trips but they discontinued the Entertainment Rate and we could not afford the regular room rates.
Signed up for Email list and got Super Family rate three days before our trip. We cancelled at Stovalls Inn and stayed here saving over $120.
We were here December 15 through 18th, 2013.
We had the standard rooms in building 6, 6106 and 6108, connecting rooms, downstairs.
These rooms are very spacious, have a closet that contains a safe (free), roll out bed and extra blankets and pillows. Rooms are spotless, beds are very comfortable and I loved the pillows!
Bathroom has an inside vanity and an outside one. Water got very hot which was nice for after all that walking to soak in.
Corridors are inside so this is a hotel and a very quiet one.
Parking is free and there is lots of room, no worries about parking here if you have a large vehicle, was even a bus in the parking lot.
The walk is about 8 to 10 minutes and after a long day can seem very far. I took the ART bus back 2 of our nights at $3 one way charge, $5 for all day use. All other times I walked, returning to the room during the day to take a break.
The onsite store discounts if you have an annual passport. No free breakfast.
We were so happy to return here and really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning in the future.

Room Tip: I enjoy all of the rooms/buildings, no preference. Love the standard rooms.
2  Thank Carrie C
Write a ReviewReviews (7,835)

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Wow sensational, great location, very helpful staff, rooms were large, spacious and clean, 5 minute walk to Disneyland, short stroll to restaurants, cannot fault this hotel will definitely be back and will be sure to advise all our friends to stay here.

2  Thank Thepitts4
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Hotel location was awsome, just a short walk to Disneyland. Being so close to the freeway you would expect it to be noisy. Only noise I heard was my sons snoring. Rooms were clean and well presented with good facilities. Quality restaraunts just a short stroll. Staff were friendly and very accomodating with anything we required. There is no restaurant. Would definately stay here again.

2  Thank Chris G
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at this HoJo from Dec 3-6 2013. We were in one of the two level buildings, not the tall tower. I really can't say enough good things about this gem! We've been to Disneyland 4 times in the past 6 yrs (yes, we're lucky people!). We've stayed at all 3 Disney properties, The original Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier and The Grand Californian. We've also stayed at the Fairfield Inn. I think I like point form, so here goes.
Pro's
-A 5 minute walk to the main entrance of Disneyland!
-Very quick and easy check-in
-We were able to get an early check-in, which was so helpful
-Grounds decorated very nicely for Christmas
-This hotel is far from new, but kept very, very nicely
-Our room was SO bright! Two big curved windows at each side, let in tons of natural light
-Can't put my finger on it, but we were just so comfortable in this room. Felt like home!
-Both my husband and myself are very picky about a comfortable bed, we both liked the beds! (had a room with 2 double beds, were travelling with our 9 yr old)
-I saw zero bugs, as someone else said they saw.
-Very efficient Daniel, at front desk, saved the day!! My husband had left some very personal papers by the computer in the front lobby, lots of personal info. Daniel scooped them up, and put them away safely and left us a voicemail, letting us know he had found them. Thanks for caring Daniel!
Overall, this hotel was great! For the exorbitant amount of money charged by Disneyland hotels, I would not be able to justify staying in one of those again, when this one is really strong, in all the really important areas.
Cons
-Doors to the rooms close loudly, but I find this problem in any hotel that's more than a couple of years old.
-One of the cleaners used in the hotel was a bit strong smelling, just at times. I never noticed it in our room, just in the hall on occasion. BUT I do have a very sensitive nose! My husband didn't notice it at all.
SO… a very short 'con' list. Would we stay again? Absolutely. Recommend it to family and friends? In a heartbeat!
My rule of thumb when looking at reviews on Tripadvisor, is to go with the majority. There's always going to be a few people that had a bad experience, even at the priciest, fanciest hotels on the planet. Oh! Important to keep in mind.. If you notice that a couple of the hotels near Disneyland have really high ratings, just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Some of those hotels only have a handful of reviews, making their odds of getting a high rating, quite a bit easier. Hope this helps! ( never dined at the restaurant or used child service, so can't vouch for it).

Room Tip: I would imagine the rooms right beside the pool, would be noisy, if you like to go to bed early, som...
3  Thank luvsit
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

The convenience factor is excellent. Far enough to be away from the crowd but close enough to still be in walking distance. Wish the mini fridge had freezer and wish that there was a microwave as well. It was too cold to enjoy the water park but it looked wonderful. The staff was wonderful throughout our entire stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

These are very old, outdated rooms with a bizarrely placed, crappy tv. As far as hotels on harbor blvd go, it's the farthest from Disneyland, although still walking distance in under ten minutes. It wasn't horrible, just disappointing and not worth the cost. We stayed in building 1 in a "premium" room. what that means I have no idea because the room has not been renovated and has no trimmings, and we could not see the fireworks from the room as advertised. Also note that this hotel has no restaurant on site. I did stay here once during the summer and my kids loved the water park so that made it worth the price, but if you go to in the winter and can't use that there is definitely no reason to stay here over the other hotels on Harbor Boulevard. I travel all the time for work and for pleasure and stay at a variety of hotel chains. While there was nothing hugely wrong with the room, this is the most disappointed I've ever been. Maybe try their cheapest prices rooms, they can't be any worse for value :\

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank maria12134
Hojoanaheim, HoJo Anaheim Guest Care Team at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear Maria12134,

We are so saddened to hear that your recent stay with us was disappointing. If you encounter any problems or are not happy with your room please let the Manager on Duty know and give us the opportunity to make sure when you leave us you are happy and looking forward to coming back again. We do not have a restaurant on site, but our Main Street Market, located on the ground floor of our main tower building does carry a variety of food and drink items. Also, our partner restaurant Mimi’s Café is just a few steps away from our lobby. Both the Castaway Cove water playground and Garden Pool are kept heated year round. We are sorry that you were dissatisfied with your visit and hope you give us another try during your next trip to the Anaheim Resort. Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

HoJo Anaheim Guest Care Team

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Would not stay again. Ants on our table when we returned from park. We did not have food - so where did they come from? Not clean! We called the front desk for another room. Were told no - and no offer to come and clean.

• Stayed: December 2013