“Decent option at a reasonable price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Calgary, Canada
“Decent option at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

Our family of four stayed in building six on the first floor, for five nights in November 2013. Very clean rooms, liked the second sink outside the washroom which makes it easier for the family to get ready in the morning. Decor is dated, do not expect high end furnishings. Two double beds in room with a pull out cot stored in the closet at the end of the room if necessary. Some traffic noise from freeway, but not enough to wake you up, I would just hear if the kids went to the washroom and they woke me up. Water park is great for preteens, heated pool in the rear of the property (80 F) also. I would recommend for those looking for a location close to Disney at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: If you are tall or larger in stature, recommend getting rooms with queen beds, as the doubles are a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Czech first
Cammeray
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

great hotel, only a 10 minute walk to Disneyland. Really comfy king size bed and the hotel has helpful and friendly staff

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights on our way home from Europe to NZ, and having stayed here twice previously in the past thirty years knew what to expect and didn't consider staying anywhere else. The main reason for our stopover was to visit Disneyland with our youngest daughter which is all we did during our two days in LA. Hojos is perfectly positioned, being only a five-ten minute easy, flat walk to Disneyland. We were in a room with two double (queen) beds which was very clean, pleasantly decorated, a good size and exactly as we had expected it to look. It is a bit on the expensive side however. While there is motorway/freeway noise outside the rooms, it was quiet inside. There was an amazing view of the Disneyland fireworks one night from the hotel (we had to run downstairs and outside). The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and we had perfectly adequate breakfasts and one dinner at Mimi's Cafe just across the road. We didn't have time to check out the pool areas at the hotel but I imagine they would be a cool, calm oasis after the crowds and heat of Disneyland. The gardens at Hojo are very attractive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Su V
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The overall experience was good. Our main reason to stay was disneyland. The room provided a comfortable sleep near the park. The rooms were quiet and plenty big enough for 4 teenagers. We ordered an extra cot ($15/night) which easily fit into a little alcove. The balcony was a nice place to get fresh air and quiet at the end of a day. A light and a chair on the balcony would be helpful for people who like to read and relax. The rooms have a bar fridge, microwave, and coffee/tea station; great for bringing in breakfast. The front desk staff were fantastic. They helped us with taxi rides, extra coffee, and answered a ton of little questions.
The water park is fun. The times it is open, 10am to 10pm, required us to leave Disney during the day. After a swim, we returned to Disney. The walk is about 10 minutes. The gift shop is convenient if you need something quickly, but it is very expensive. If you can walk 15 minutes up the road, there are better places to pick up cereal and milk etc. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I would strongly suggest not staying here....especially if you are ethnic. For my birthday (October 4th) I took my daughter to Disneyland to celebrate. We checked in the day before...October 3rd 2013 and had a fairly uneventful evening. The next morning we loaded up the stroller and began the walk to Disney. There were many other non ethnic families also making the sojourn from the hotel to Disney...my daughter and I are African American. After we crossed the street a man dressed in business attire ran up to us and said "Excuse me are you staying at the hotel?" Ignoring the other families who also were walking from the hotel. I replied "yes and asked why?" He told me that I had been reported by an employee as someone who was parking at the hotel to take advantage of free parking. When I asked who the employee was he told me it was the owner of the hotel who reported me. Right away I was offended that the "owner" would single my daughter and I out. So I decided to return to the hotel to speak with the owner. Turns out that the manager lied...the owner wasn't even there. The manager simply saw a black girl pushing a stroller and made the judgement that we were cheating the hotel out of free parking. When I tried to file a complaint with the actual owner and higher management...my phone call wasn't even returned and instead I was told they have problems with locals stealing parking and I shouldn't be offended. However, I have never experienced such blatant racism in my life. I won't stay at the Howard Johnson again and would recommend you choose elsewhere. Choose a hotel that hires employees who are evolved enough not judge people based on the color of their skin but by the content of their character and also by the fact that they are paying customers who deserve to be treated fairly.

Shame on Howard Johnson.

Dana

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank DaneDaneDavis
Hojoanaheim, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Ms. Davis:

I am truly sorry that you found my inquiry as to whether you were a Guest at our hotel so offensive that you would project me to be a racist person. I did not question you because of the color of your skin but rather because of your observed actions.

You were observed by the owner of the hotel in our parking lot, exiting your auto along with your daughter, placing her in her stroller, then proceeding to walk to Disneyland. Your observed actions were consistent with non-guests who often try to park in our lot for free then walk to Disneyland. We are one of the few remaining hotels along Harbor Blvd to still offer free parking to our guests. We are diligent about discouraging locals from using our Guest parking spaces. I was asked to determine whether you were a Guest or a “local.” My staff and I have done this same thing many times before to people of all races and have never had a negative reaction. We often get a slightly embarrassed apology from a local who then returns to our lot and drives away or a pleasant "thank you for your diligence” if the person happens to be a guest.

I am saddened by your interpretation of the events and hope that my explanation has comforted you; we have a zero tolerance for discrimination of any type. I invite you to call me if you have any further questions and certainly would welcome you back to the hotel.

Regards,