“Great place to stay”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed April 3, 2004

I was pleased with the Howard Johnson, it was clean the staff was helpful and polite. We stayed in buildling #2 with a view of the Garden Pool. It was a short walk (in my opinion) to Disneyland with resturants within walking distance. The room was great and had a nice sized bathroom. Noise was not a problem where we stayed, but I do understand if you get a room facing I-5 it is. In my opinion if you are not wanting to spend a fortune and are looking for a family oriented property close to Disneyland this is a great place to stay.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
  • Czech first
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 3, 2004

My Daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights March 30th and March 31st 2004. I did my research ahead of time and I had cancelled other reservations to stay here. I was very pleased with how clean my room and bath was and believe me I checked. The Customer Service was excellent and trust me I asked alot of questions. The pool was clean and I liked the mini cabana's, I stayed by the pool and there really wasnt that many people in it. I would stay there again if I could get a good deal again on the room. The only improvement I can suggest is to provide some type of breakfast with your stay. I suggest staying in building 4 on their second floor facing the courtyard, very pretty view at night. I will be more than happy to answer any questions regarding the service if the hotel wants to email me

3 Thank TIALAURA
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 2, 2004

We stayed five nights. It's quite a long walk if you have small children (about 15 minutes)to Disney Maingate. Used only flat sheets on bed, so halfway through the night you are laying on bare mattress along with everyone else who has visited. We had a room next to the pool area which is open until midnight, hard to get kids to sleep if others are playing right outside your window. They add 40% surcharge on top of each long distance phone call, so don't call home to check on things.
On the plus side-the rooms are large, and the grounds are lit up at night.

2 Thank adventuresome4777
Reviewed March 31, 2004

Having read the reviews we stayed here when visiting Disneyland. The hotel is in within walking distance of Disney but is too close to the freeway. Our room was in the first block next to the reception area at the end near I-5. At 5am it seemed to have been moved to the middle lane of it. Unfortunately the hotel was full so we couldn't be moved to another room. Having said that, I would stay here again, only if I was in a quieter room away from the traffic noise.

Reviewed March 26, 2004

Overall a good hotel choice based on service, facilites and economy.

It can be a little noisy with all the kids there (and the freeway), but thats to be expected.

The only negative I can comment on is the "upgraded" room I was offered by the reservation staff.

I didn't notice any difference between it and a standard room. Either I wasn't actually given an upgraded room or I don't know upgraded decor !

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
sydney
Reviewed March 22, 2004

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor prior to my visit i decided to stay at HOJO but perhaps had too higher expectations. I hoped for impressive customer service,which was average.The rooms were pretty good for the price paid and the small gift shop within the hotel was really convenient.Local dining is fairly appropriate to families-mcdonalds etc. Pool area was really good-even 2 pools!major problem really was how packed the larger pool was with littluns!even up to midnight! all in all I was somewhat dissapointed with the stay at HOJO,but im unable to pinpoint it to a paticular reason.If possible try and get a room as far away from the reception are as possible!this was all hours noise hell! The one thing can say I loved was the gardens-which exceeded any of the gardens in far more expensive hotels I had been previously staying in!The seemingly endless and well manicured flowers accompanied delicate little fountains which were all framed by beautifull garden lights in the trees.That was a very memorable part of my experience. I would stay here again,with many of these considerations in mind.

3 Thank fgc12
Reviewed March 21, 2004

We spent a night here recently and were not impressed, especially after the wonderful reviews we had read on this site. Our room was spacious but the decor was outdated. It was clean, however, and relatively close to Disneyland. I guess I just had higher expectatations because of the rave reviews. Next time I think we'll look for a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2004