“Nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2004

We spent a night here recently and were not impressed, especially after the wonderful reviews we had read on this site. Our room was spacious but the decor was outdated. It was clean, however, and relatively close to Disneyland. I guess I just had higher expectatations because of the rave reviews. Next time I think we'll look for a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (791)
  • Czech first
yelm, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2004

We were happy with the hotel. We have stayed at several Harbour motel/hotels that did not have nice pool areas so that is why we choose this one. The pool area is nicer then most, however with a longer walk and no continental breakfast I feel that this may not be the best place to stay. We also requested a non smoking room and did not get one so I would wake up every morning with a terrible sore throat. I know the hotel said they could not make any promises that we would get a non smoking room but this is the only Disney area hotel that has not meet are request. If you are not going to swim you can do better elsewhere.
If you want to have a nice swim area keep in mind this is a very average old hotel with the only plus being the pool area.

4 Thank yngsj
Mesa, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2004

I love this hotel. We have been staying at the Howard Johnson for the past 5 years. I love the view. The freeway is no bother to me or my family. We would watch the fireworks everynoght from the hotel to avoid the crowds at Disneyland. The staff is excellent. I love that you can checkout right from your television also. Last summer we got one of the rooms in the two story building, it didn't feel right being in one of those rooms after I have stayed in the main building for the past four years before that and we asked to change rooms and they did it right away. That's what I call excellent service. My son loves the game room and pool! The gift shop really helps out when you forget the small things. I overall love this hotel. We actually thought about changing hotels to try and see if there was anything better, but we chose not to because you can't beat the price or service or home-like feeling that we get from staying there. I always get jealous when we check put and see people checking in because I want to stay so bad and my trip has ended and their's has just started. I recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone who will listen to me.

6 Thank jazalx
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2004

We stayed here between Feb 23th - 28th, and our stay could not have been more pleasant. We have three young children (5 yrs, 2 yrs, and newborn), and had very high expectations after all of the positive reviews that we have read here. Upon our arrival, we were able to check in early, and the hotel had met every one of our requests (park view, top floor, adjoining rooms). During the second night of our stay, it began to rain, and both of our rooms began to leak (a steady drip in each corner of the rooms). As our children were sleeping, we decided to wait until morning inform the front desk. The next morning, I spoke with the front desk manager and we were given several options (move to new rooms, see if the leak could be fixed), and we had a service manager up to our room within 15 minutes. The service manager gave us his honest assessment (that the leak could be fixed), found out when we would be gone to Disneyland so as not to disturb our stay, and had the problem fixed by days end (at least no more noticeable leaks). The service was absolutely professional in every way. The front desk manager even gave us a night's stay for free for the "leaky" night, which really was appreciated and made me feel as though they truly cared about us as a guest and about our return business. Problems always occur, and the key is how a hotel handles those problems. The HoJo's service is truly superb and made our stay there one of the best we've had on ANY vacation. The pool, hot tub, game room and grounds were exceptional, the reviews on this site were 100% correct. The location to Disneyland was a short walk, and even with our children we had absolutely no problem. We were able to walk to our hotel quicker than those from our hotel that had to wait for the tram to take them to the hotel. Thanks again, HoJo, we will definitely be back to stay with you for our next visit to Disneyland!

5 Thank Golfguy2112
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2004

I recently spent two nights here and was very pleased with the room and the service. We had a top floor room with an arched ceiling that allowed the sun to shine in. It was large, clean, and the bathroom had a few cute flowered tiles which surprisingly was enough to give it some character. I was very impressed by the service. The first night, my daughter threw up in the hall, just outside the elevators. Within five minutes of my call to the front desk, it was cleaned up. My only complaint (which I was fully informed by this website before taking the room as well as by the front desk) was the noise of the expressway just outside our window. It became a sort of white noise and did not wake any of us so we weren't very disturbed by it. Back to the positives, the restaraunt across the street (Mimi's) was EXCELLENT for breakfast and lunch, far superior to the IHOP which charged the same price for a dirty room with poor service and half as much food.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Revelstoke, B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2004

Do yourself a favour, just stay here. You wont be dissapointed. We had a suite, which was incredible. Spacious, clean, great view of the Matterhorn, and the staff were all great. I will stay here again.

2 Thank Chrispmoto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2004

We recently stayed one night in order to spend 2 days at Disneyland. It was a pleasant surprise to have such a clean and spacious room. It was quiet and the staff was very professional. The walk to Disneyland was quite easy for us, even with a four-year-old; much easier than driving and parking at Disneyland. Having a MacDonald's so close was helpful.
We wouldn't hesitate to stay again on our next trip. I might add that I was worried about noise from the freeway, but it was actually very minimal and did not disturb our sleep at all.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member