“Nice place to stay for a break from Disney”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed August 16, 2013

After our 5 days at the Disneyland Resort (staying at the Disneyland Hotel), we decided to take a two-night break at the HoJo rather than drive down to San Diego. We were traveling with our just turned 7 boy/girl twins and they needed some rest before our next adventure to Legoland.

The HoJo was a great choice for us. The twins LOVED the water play area and spent all day Friday playing in the water. The location was 10 minutes to Downtown Disney and actually a much closer walk to the Disney gates than from the Disneyland Hotel. It was also close to a nearby mall that had many more dinner choices with none of the waits you find in Downtown.

The price per night was less than half of what we paid for the Disney hotel.

The rooms were fairly clean but dated. We were in building 5 on the second floor and so had the huge skylights, which woke us up early. I know most people don't go to the Disney area to sleep so this may not be an issue for some, but for us on our rest day it was a bummer, especially for our kids, who could have used some extra sleep.

The room was also very noisy because we weren't blocked by Building one and could see and hear the highway. I did have ear plugs, which helped.

Again, I wasn't expecting the Taj Mahal for the price. The hotel is a very affordable option and it was great for our short stay. I didn't love the rooms but my children were just as happy in this room as they were at the Disney hotel. This room was also larger than the Disney room.

If you are looking for an affordable, simple hotel to stay near Disney with a fun pool for your kids, this is your hotel. Just ask for a room without the skylights.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with skylights if you don't want to get up early.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (7,832)

2  Thank Chris H

2  Thank Michelle K
Reviewed August 15, 2013

we recently stayed at the Hojo for 4 nights, the location to Disney and surrounding restaurants is fab, you can easily walk to and fro .... the room was lovely and clean and you have your own coffee machine which is brilliant in the mornings!
I went back to the room one day to fetch something and the lady was in cleaning, she asked for my key card to check I was who I said I was rather than just letting me wander in ... she apologised profusely for asking me but I thought this security was great!
The front staff could not do enough - every little question we had they answered with great information.
We will definitely be returning here, and have would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alsden1
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were actually a bit skeptical of Howard Johnson. We never stayed in one before until we booked one in San Diego. I walked in and walked out. It was that discusting. This Howard Johnson was the ABSOLUTE OPPOSITE!! As worried as I was I booked the hotel. The staff was incredible. They were helpful, pleasant, and informative. The hotel was clean and current and the kids playground (water park) was a favorite of my two granddaughters. I love this hotel, the layout, the rooms, all of it.
The staff told us we could just walk over to Disneyland as we were there for the birthdays of my two granddaughters. They told how to get the birthday buttons for them. I think I found a new place to stay when we're at Disneyland.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hotel is located within walking distance to Disneyland. I feel it had a good location because you didn't have to fight traffic to get in and out. It was an excellent location for fireworks. The front desk were also nice when we checked in. The rooms were clean but outdated. We did have a good location, we were near the elevator on the 6th floor and we could walk off and out the door of the hotel. It would have been nice to have complimentary breakfast. I also felt the hotel itself was very cramped. The water park area was cute, we never got there though. Overall it is a nice hotel, but it had no "WOW" factor to it.