“Clean, Convenient & FUN!”

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
“Clean, Convenient & FUN!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We have been staying at this HoJo every June for 30 years. They have always maintained beautiful grounds, a friendly staff, clean rooms and an easy walk to Disneyland. The addition of Pirate's Cove, the waterside area, is perfect for kids. Snack shop is well stocked. Mimi's Cafe and McDonalds are just steps away.

Nothing stuffy or fancy here....just a very well-run hotel. Oh, and the beds are GREAT!!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Sara H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Czech first
Bay Area
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This hotel was great. We literally parked the car and never drove it again the four nights we stayed here. About a 10 minute walk to Disneyland and you can walk to numerous restaurants as well. The pool, hot tub, and water park were great. The rooms were big and comfortable. We had 2 queens and a roll away and were not on top of each other. We had a balcony that overlooked the water park and you could see Disneyland's fireworks perfectly from our room or from the hot tub every night. There is an arcade downstairs for the kids to play games and a store (overpriced, but convenient). We heard hardly any freeway traffic unless our door to the balcony was open although we left the fan on at night so that probably drowned out any outside noise. The beds were comfortable. The rooms were very, very clean. Staff was kind and welcoming and quick to please. Would definitely stay here again. They DO NOT charge for parking for hotel guests like some of the other hotels do. Wish they had breakfast and a fitness center but otherwise, it was perfect!

Room Tip: Worth it to have the Disneyland view if you ask me. Or you could plot yourself down in the hot tub...
2 Thank HEYYABayArea
Cincinnati
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We were on an 11 day, 5 hotel vacation to Southern California recently and spent last weekend in this Howard Johnson for our trip to Disneyland. I usually like upscale hotels so I wasn't sure about booking a Howard Johnson but reviews on TripAdvisor sold me. I was not disappointed.

The hotel is older and in need of some TLC on the outside but the rooms are very clean and big. We arrived early with another person and the rooms weren't ready yet but we were allowed to go ahead and complete the check in process and then come back to pick up the key cards later. We upgraded to a Disney view so that we could see the fireworks from our room. We were all the way at the end of the hall on the 4th floor with a view of the Matterhorn from our window and balcony. I'm not so sure that the upgrade was really worth it. As some people said on here, the view of the firworks is somewhat blocked by trees. I think some of the other rooms would be alot worse than ours judging by the large trees on that side of the hotel. I personally didn't see the fireworks from the room during our two days there because I was in the park at the time both days. My wife made it a point to rush back to the room with our four year old so that he could see them from the room (since we paid for it and he's still a little scared if he's too close) so my report on the fireworks view is second hand. Another reason I'm not sure that it's worth it is that the firworks go off early. You'd think they would go off when the park closes but instead they set them off at 9:30pm so most likely you won't be in the room anyway. To see the Matterhorn from your window is cool though.

There are several buildings that make up the hotel. We were in the tallest one which may have been the newest one but I'm not sure about that. The two story ones look pretty old looking down on them and remind me more of motels. Our room had two queen beds which I thought were pretty comfortable, a sink in the bathroom and another one outside of the bathroom, a mini fridge, a Koureg coffee maker (which was awesome), a table with two chairs and alot of drawers and counter space. We had a small balcony that didn't have any furniture on it but the table and chairs inside is right by the door so you can take those chairs out. The TV's could use some updating. Not flat screens and not a lot of channels. You'd think that hotels next to Disney should at least have the Disney channel.

There is a convience store in the hotel which has about everything you would need. A lot of shirts, souvenirs, food, beer and wine, etc. There is a game room across from the store. One of the reasons I booked this hotel was for the outside pool/waterpark area. Unfortunately, we never got to use it. Too busy with Disneyland. It did look nice though and I'm sure that would be a blast for the kids. There was a shuttle that you could take to Disney but we walked everytime. It is a bit of a walk to the entrance gate but not bad at all...10 minutes maybe. You pass a McDonalds which is a great place to get some food on the way. And the best thing is you can take food into the park. I was surprised about that but they didn't care.

Very nice stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Actually I can't wait to stay there again! It was a great couple of days.

Room Tip: High floor in the tower.
7 Thank Vikings2010
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was our first trip to the USA and after doing some research I picked this hotel as I have 3 children 7,11,16. We needed a clean and comfortable hotel close to Disneyland and restaurants. We were in room 1201 and we stayed there for 11 nights. We were very satisfied and extremely happy. Our children loved the pool and the waterpark. All the staff were extremely lovely and I can highly recommend this place. Plenty of things to do !

Room Tip: Request building 1 you have a great view of the fireworks from Disneyland every night
5 Thank Joanne N
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Having landed at 7:15pm after a long flight; then a long wait at LA for immigration; a 45 minute wait for the Disneyland Express on a cool Sunday night; then horrendous traffic that meant it took 40 minutes just to get out of the airport, by the time we arrived it was 11:00pm and all we wanted to do was crash out.

We stayed here a couple of times over ten years ago and memories were of dark furniture and on one visit, noise from the Freeway, so we requested a quiet room and not in building 1. We were in 2-121. Fortunately, the reception staff (at all times) were welcoming, friendly and fast, so by 11:15pm we were tucked up in bed.

Since our last visit, the rather oppressive dark brown furniture has been changed for a much lighter wood and this has transformed the rooms. Having requested a quiet room, that is exactly what we got, on the ground floor near to the rear swiimming pool (not the kids play area out front).

The coffee machine/water heater has been upgraded to one of these that uses modern mess free plastic containers of coffee and we were supplied with 4 coffees plus teas etc, yet only two packs of creamer/sugar - which is why we purchased milk from the shop and I always carry extra sugar!

The bed was superb, the lighting good and we even had a small microwave in addition to the fridge.

Free WiFi was included and connection was easy.

Although not really part of HoJos, we had signed up for Mimi's cafe/restaurant's email notification system, but whilst travelling, we couldn't really print out any voucher offers, so our one meal in there was our last, as it seemed quite expensive - and not very well patronised.

On check out, we dumped our bags and they happily stored them for us and on request, gave us a swipe card so that we could lounge by the secure pool until it was time to rescue the bags and catch the Express back to the airport.

It was great to return to HoJo's after trying several other places in the area with mixed results, but we would certainly be happy to return, as quite frankly, our stay couldn't have been better. The water play area out front is great for kids and the chances of them drowning are now just about nil, as there is no swimming pool, just a baby paddling pool, yet there is a lot of water fun to be had and I think HoJo's had a staff member supervising anyway. It does mean however, that kids who want to swim, now have to go to what was the quiet pool, but this wasn't a problem, even though we were alongside as we weren't trying to sleep during the day anyway and even if we were, the sound insulation from the ranchslider/patio doors was pretty good.

A great stopover and the staff couldn't have been better, the rooms were spot on.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room away from the freeway, but others prefer building 1 so that they can see t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank socram13
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights last week and really enjoyed out time there. Easy walking to Disney with kids 9 and 11. Close enough that we could leave Dinsey in the afternoon, play in the waterpark then head back to Disney for the fireworks. Lot's of places to eat nearby. It couldn't have been better!

4 Thank Jahmail1999
Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel for the price and location. Before our trip I read the reviews and building 1 is the place to be. I requested 1401-1501 facing Disney so we could see the fireworks . We are in 1307.... But the view was fine..... It would be best to be up one more floor. The fireworks were very loud, so I am so glad we could see them well. I must say the photo of the pirate ship splash park makes it look MUCH bigger than it is, but I think my three year old son sees it as larger than life. I am so glad I am not paying for the Disney californian!!!!

• Stayed June 2012