“Good location, good hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground

Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground
Ranked #13 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Lake Oswego, Oregon
“Good location, good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

The Howard Johnson is a nice place in a good location. I don't think I'd want to be much further away from Disneyland and still call it
"easy walking distance," but I would certainly consider it close to Disneyland. We were there during/shortly after the California fires and the staff were very helpful on the days leading up to our trip when we would call to check the status of the smoke and wind.

I mainly wanted to address the comments by guests regarding highway noise. Our room was in a less than stellar location overlooking the parking lot and I-5. There are little balconies off of each room, and
I give props to Howard Johnson for the noise canceling doors that led
to our balcony. In fact, I was quite amazed at the LACK of highway noise in our room. We had the fan on at night when we slept, so between that and the soundproofing, noise was never a problem.

I wouldn't say I loved the location or the view out our room, but obviously some of the guests have to fall on the sword and take those
rooms and since we were hardly ever at the hotel, we were fine with it.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — Location
6 Thank LOKris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (790)
  • Czech first
Oakville ON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2007

We stayed at the hotel for two nights (October 19 and 20, 2007) and had previously stayed there in 2005. The room was large with 2 queen beds. We were in building 1 and our balcony was overlooking the pool and we could see Disneyland. On check-in we were asked if we wanted a room higher up so we could see the fireworks. We did however we were never back in the room to see them as we were always at the parks. It is about a 10 minute walk to the main gate. We didn't use the pool but it looked lovely. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The balcony was a nice size the only thing that would have made it a little nicer would be chairs. It's nice to have a balcony but if you can't sit on it, it's not really worth having. I would definitely stay there again. I like it because it is at the end of the hotel row so you don't have the noise of all the pedestrians walking to the park. We had no issues with noice from the I-5.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank Logan25
Upper Left Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2007

Our visit coincided with the Santa Ana winds and the ensuing fires. The hotel did a great job trying to keep ahead of blowing debris and ash even though they had to close the Garden Pool. Under adverse circumstances, the staff did a great job.

The rooms are large and clean. Building 1 is the only one with rooms facing I-5. We were in Building 2 with all rooms facing away from the freeway with balconies to boot.

The main pool is large, although a little cold while we were there. It has a wading pool and splash fountains for the kids to run around in. It's well stocked with towels and lounge chairs.

Although the hotel doesn't have a breakfast, there's a store in Building 1 which has healthy essentials for breakfast in the room including fresh fruit, milk and cereal. Prices are reasonable (compared to alternatives in and out of the park) and there is a great supply of sundries you may have forgotten to bring with you (such as swim goggles for the kids).

It's very close to the main entrance to the park - about a ten minute walk down Harbor Boulevard and across the street into the first security checkpoints. It would be hard to get there faster by shuttle. Along the way are a couple of restaurants, a McDonalds and a Quiznos to pick up some food along the way. There's no question the property is pinched between I-5 and Harbor Boulevard so choose your room location carefully. The hotel website is pretty clear about whether or not a room is on the freeway.

The front desk staff were attentive and helpful. During the high winds there was some banging noise reverberating through our building and the staff were serious about trying to track the cause down. It turned out to be trees hitting the side of the building which, of course, nothing could be done about. They offered to move us immediately, but we stayed where we were and the winds slowed by morning.

It would be hard to beat the location, price and quality of the hotel.

• Liked — Close to Disneyland entrance
  • Disliked — Nothing
10 Thank umbrellaman
West Lafayette, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2007

I stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza Anaheim from October 23-27, 2007. I was attending a conference at the Hyatt Regency Orange County (about 1.5 miles down Harbor Blvd), and didn't really feel like paying $150/night + parking + internet. After a lot of research, planning, and use of TripAdvisor, I booked this hotel through Hotwire for $69/night.

Let me start out by saying, if you are going to Disneyland, this is a great hotel for you. There is free parking if you decide to rent a car. It has two nice pools and a shooting water area. It is also across the street from Disney, though there is probably about a 5-10 (depending on lights) minute walk to the main pedestrian gate. I used the Disney angle to get to my conference by going to the park and then catching the Hyatt's complimentary shuttle back and forth. This saved me the 30-40 minute walk that would otherwise ensue.

I arrived at the hotel a little after noon on my check-in day and my room was ready and waiting for me. I had made sure to book for 4 people using Hotwire (though there would only be 2) in order to ensure that we would have 2 beds in the room. We ended up with a room with two queen beds and, I suspect because I booked at a discount site, and lovely view of the I-5 that I could almost spit on from the room's small balcony. The room was very large, though, had a sink both inside and outside of the bathroom, and the beds had fairly firm mattresses. The pillows were of the cheap motel variety, however, and were very flat. The room was kept very clean each day by housekeeping, and all amenities such as coffee and shampoo were refilled. A free ethernet connection was provided, though the router was located by the phone in between the beds and the cord was only about 5 feet long, meaning that if you wanted to get online with your laptop, you were going to have to do it in bed. There was a small refrigerator that kep things very cold, as well as a coffeemaker.

In my opinion, there were only two major drawbacks about the room. First of all, the A/C didn't seem to work all that well. The room was definitely kept cooler than the outside, but when I came back sweating after a long walk, I really wanted cold air blowing in to my face and what I got was mild air that would feel cool only if I sat down stopped moving for a while. The other drawback was the proximity of the I-5. Traffic noise was definitely audible in the room at all hours of the day or night. Luckily it didn't bother me too much, but if you have a finicky sleeper, it might be a problem.

In the end, if I wanted/needed to go to Anaheim/Disneyland and found this price again, I would not hesitate to book this hotel. It seemed to offer quite a bang for the buck, with the only noticeable exclusion being any sort of complimentary breakfast. There are some very "nice" looking hotels around Disney that have exteremely shabby interiors or service (just check other reviews), so I was very glad that the Howard Johnson offered both.

• Liked — Very close to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Closer to I-5
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank silentbob007
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

Wow what can i say except for location, location, location, why would you stay at the really expensive places when this place is so well priced and is about a 5 minute walk to the entry of Disneyland, it has great pool facilities with two pools, very clean rooms and if you get a room with a view of Disneyland which i would highly recommend you can not go wrong. The staff are very helpful with anything you need, they even printed out maps for us on how to get to places we wanted to see they are just fantastic. It also has a little shop on the premises that sells just about anything, as they do not have any dining facilities at the HOJO which is not a concern as there are heaps of eating options within walking distance.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Washy10
Kansas City, KS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2007

We stayed at the Howard Johnson for our recent trip to Disneyland. The hotel was fine. It was clean. When we checked in the staff was quite courteous but didn't honor our request for connecting rooms. I booked Disney view rooms which were more expensive. I don't recommend these. You can barely see Disneyland and it wasn't worth the extra money. The pillows weren't very fluffy but when we called down for extra they came promptly with more.
The hotel store is small but has lots of things available from souvenirs to food. I purchased a cheap rain poncho there for $5 to take to the park with me. They had lots of breakfast cereal, snack bars, candy, soda, chips, snack food, medicine (my daughter's Tylenol cost $8!) There were refrigerators in the room to store things.
We didn't use the pools but they looked nice and people were enjoying them.
We had a strange thing happen on check-out. I went at 11:30 p.m. to advise them that part of the party was leaving the hotel at 4:30 a.m. So I needed all the room charges to make sure there wasn't anything added unncecessarily. She said there wasn't and printed the receipts for the two rooms. She said this would be the final bill and to just let them know when we leave in the morning. When I left at 4:30 a.m. the office was closed. So when the other party left the room at 6:30 a.m., they told them we had vacated both rooms, and the lady at the desk said we needed to settle a $17 (and some cents) extra room tax that applied to the bill after 3 a.m. None of the other nights had this mysterious charge added to both rooms. We fought this charge and hopefully they took it off our bill. But they never properly could explain what the mysterious charge was after the final bill. Please just be aware of this on check out . The lady at the desk was not pleasant to deal with.
Will I return again? Probably not. It is a fine hotel, but it left a bad feeling with the ending. I would pick a hotel a bit further from I-5 traffic noise, and one that is more aware of their charging system. I would stay a bit closer to the Disneyland entrance.

• Liked — Cheaper price than Disney hotels
  • Disliked — Front desk and traffic noise.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank bananasue37
Hojoanaheim, General Manager at Howard Johnson Anaheim Hotel and Water Playground, responded to this review, October 25, 2007
I think I can provide an explanation regarding the extra charges on your account at check-out. On the night before your departure, the desk clerk manually charged the room and tax amount to your account so that all charges and your payment would appear on your account with a $0 balance due. Unfortunately, they forgot to change your account so that the regular nightly charge would not also automatically post to your account. This is why at check-out an additional $79.35 appeared on your bill. It took some time for the morning clerk to figure out what had occurred. I have reviewed your account and the extra charges were removed from your bill. I’m very sorry we were not as efficient and thorough as we should have been.
Canberra Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2007

The Howard Johnson Plaza Anaheim is a great Hotel for families or anyone wanting to be in a great hotel close to the Disneyland parks, restuarants and transport.

We arrived at 9.30 in the morning and were delighted to be able to access our room immediately! After a 14 hour hour this was most welcome.

The staff in the hotel are very helpful and friendly. The gardens and pool areas are lovely and so well looked after - a pleasure to be around.

Our Room was in building 2 and was light and airy and quite roomy. We overlooked the main pool and towards Disneyland. I was concerned about the noise from the I5 but the room was very very quiet - no problems sleeping at all. The shop in Building one is very handy for all the little things - and they sell beer!! Very convenient.

Mimi's is great for food and service - good prices and an unbeliveable large serves!

HoJo is also close to other eateries and very convenient for Disneyland - a very easy walk. I cannot recomend this hotel highly enough - excellent value for money, great service and location. We'll be back....

• Liked — Huge room, Closeness to the parks, restuarants and the tourist strip.
  • Disliked — nothing!
11 Thank DebfromCanberraAust