“Hotel fine, other guest kind of questionable”

Brookhurst Plaza Inn
Brookhurst Plaza Inn
Ranked #87 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 24, 2005

My 7 year old daughter and I stayed at the Brookhurst Plaza Inn while she attended a dance contest at Disney Land. Our room was clean, and the bead spreads seemed relatively new. There was an iron burn mark on the carpet. The inroom fridge and microwave were very convenient and the rooms were large enough to accomodate the two double beds and a table and chairs in a sitting area.

However, some of the other guests looked a little bit questionable to me. On Friday night, there must have been a group in several different rooms above me because all through the night, from about 12:00 to 3:00 I heard what sounded like running up and down the halls. I hardly slept. When I mentioned this to the management the next morning, they were very concerned and asked me to please call if there was any noise that night.

The hotel was nice,just fine, but hate to say it, I would have prefered to be around a better class of other guests.

• Stayed: July 2005

Somewhere USA
Reviewed July 23, 2005

We also found this hotel on Iternet and it looked good for us, but.... the reality is different. We got a dark, old room with some lights that need to be on all day. Even though the lights were on we still couldn't see a thing. May be that was with a reason- to not see the old furnitures and carpet. The worst thing was the smell, it was hard to spend the night there. That's something that you can't see on Internet, but make you run far away.
I think that the person who made the hotel website did a great job, but you always need to be honest about the reality.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Maria, CA
Reviewed June 16, 2005

We stayed at the Brookhurst Plaza Inn from June 2 until June 5 (my girlfriend, her two children, and myself). We had a room with 2 queen sized beds, non-smoking. I agree with the previous poster that the hotel itself looks a bit tired, and this had me a bit concerned. However, we couldn’t have been happier with the room we booked. It looked to have been recently remodeled and the beds were clean and very comfortable. It is as if the management decided to restore the rooms but left the exterior to the elements. As old as the hotel seemed, however, I would not put it so strongly as to call the Brookhurst Plaza Inn “dingy.” We called ahead of time to ask about the “club” that we had heard caused parking problems on the weekend, and the management assured us that the restaurant is periodically rented out to patrons for occasions such as la Quincieneras (Hispanic 15th B-day celebrations) or weddings. Unfortunately for us, there was a private party scheduled, a wedding (which I didn’t need the girlfriend to see really ) on the weekend we were planning on visiting, but the hotel management assured us that the parking problem had been solved. The restaurant is not a weekly club event (I suggest some people check their facts before posting information on a website) but is rented out to responsible patrons who lose a huge deposit if things get out of hand (according to the hotel management). Suffice it to say, we encountered no parking problems of any kind when we got to the hotel from Disneyland at 11:00PM and slept peacefully after a very long day at with the kids. All in all, I would recommend staying at this hotel for the price we paid for our room ($74.99 for a room with 2 queen sized beds). The kids had a good time, and I didn’t get any guff from the girlfriend (now my fiancée!), so I think everything turned out okay!

• Stayed: June 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 22, 2005

My husband and I just stayed at the Brookhurst on May 20-22nd with our two children. The hotel is old and the rooms are very tired looking. The staff in the hotel is very courteous and I do agree with a previous review that stated that the website is a bit misleading. The main problem with the Brookhurst is that it is very dingy. The carpet is worn in the hallways and the paint is chipped off of part of the walls. The room we had had furniture that had seen it's prime a LONG time ago. The carpet was very dirty looking (it could be just age) and so we opted to leave our shoes on in the room. The beds, however, were very comfortable. The "closed down" restaurant is actually a club which we discovered to our dismay. The club and the hotel share a parking lot and so when we returned to the hotel late on Saturday, there were no parking spots! My husband had to park down the street and then go out at 1am and re-park the car in the parking lot. Unfortunately, by then there was broken beer bottles in the lot due to some over zealous club patrons. The price was $65.00 per night for a two bed room (both queen size) that also had a microwave and a small fridge. The pool was very neat and clean. Would I stay here again? No. The cost wasn't worth the inconvenience of everything put together. It would probably be okay for a family on a tight budget if they stayed there during the week and didn't mind a motel with the bare minimum of offerings but comfortable beds.

• Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stockton, CA
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I also found this hotel online. The price was very good so I decided to try it out. Great decision! This place is not 5 miles from Disneyland, as another reviewer has stated (try going to maps.google.com, and type in the address of the hotel and the address of Disneyland). Sorry, you really don't have any sense of direction at all if you could not find the place from Disneyland. It is not, as one reviewer has stated, in a weird (not wierd BTW) part of town. Its right off the 5 freeway and the street its on has its own exit (Brookhurst), so I myself didn't have that much trouble finding the place. The pool gate was the only thing I had an issue with, as it appeared to be rusting a bit, but the pool itself was nice and warm, and boy did that Jacuzzi feel good after our day at Disneyland! The elevator is a bit old, and could use some refurbishing, but the rooms themselves are quite nice. We requested a room with two queen sized beds (as opposed to a room with two full sized) and they were very comfortable. I had a very good experience at this hotel, perhaps you must request queens? Of course, I don’t know how much you can trust anyone who mistakes a quick mile and a half ride from the park to the hotel for a 5 mile one (took the scenic route perhaps?) My family and I will stay there again. If you can handle not being walking distance to Disneyland, I would give this place a shot. Even though you have to spend about 10 bucks to park at Disneyland, you probably save more than that amount by not staying at the Radisson for about $140 bucks a night!

• Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 20, 2005

We found this "hotel" online with a discount coupon. Checked out the website and everything looked great...it boasts free shuttle service to Disneyland and Knotts and that it is a mile and a half away from Disneyland. Try about 5 miles. Took forever to find it. It was in this wierd, old part of town, off the beaten path, right on the main drag of Brookhurst street. Outside appearance was a little icky. It had an unattractive closed down restaurant as part of the hotel and an old shuttle that was sitting in the front. To our dismay, there were no longer any shuttle services offered. The rooms were old and a little bit dingy. You can hear people in the other rooms taking showers. The beds were not at all comfortable. TV got only a few stations. Definately not what we expected. We thought it was going to be a classy hotel by Disneyland. We felt slightly misled by the website. The perks? The rooms had a microwave and little refridgerator. The pool was nice and secluded, very quiet and clean. My nephew and I swam for 2 hours, all alone! We were the only ones out there, it was great! Friendly staff, willing to help. Overall, this wasn't a horrible place to stay, but I will be much more diligent in the future when I do research for hotels.

• Stayed: April 2005
Redwood Shores, CA
Reviewed January 1, 2005

We stayed two nights at Brookhurst Plaza Inn. The hotel is clean but do expect old carpet, curtain with holes, worn sofa fabric, vintage decor and furniture.... Lobby was just right below our room so we didn't need to walk outside to get our complimentary breakfast. Their staff was very corteous! We asked to change to another room since our room was right by the street and was noisy in the evening, they were very willing to show us other rooms. After all, we still decided to stay in our original room since it had one King size bed and a Queen bed. The room was pretty big. Expect to drive 5 minutes to Disneyland. There are Ralph, Walgreens, In and Out...etc nearby, pretty convenient.

• Stayed: January 2005