“Pleased with our experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Raffles Inn & Suites

BEST WESTERN PLUS Raffles Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Southern Oregon
“Pleased with our experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

We stayed at Raffles from May 14 through May 18, 2007 during our trip
to Disneyland. We booked a kid's suite, through Get Away Today Vacations, for two adults, a 17-year-old, a 10-year-old, a 5-year-old
and an infant.

We arrived around 6 p.m. on Monday and were upgraded to room 301, a deluxe kid's suite with two bathrooms and two queen beds, as well as the separate bunk-bed room. The room is in the back building, away from the main road, and is close to the pool.

The main room is nice, and it has a decent sized mini-fridge with a small freezer and a little produce drawer. The microwave is tiny, with a turn-knob that counts in 2-minute increments. I overcooked our oatmeal everyday, but maybe that's just me! One annoyance is that there is only a small table with two chairs, and a desk with a chair. Fortunately, I only had two kids that needed to sit at the table, but for a room that sleeps 8, there should be at least another
chair for the table. The beds are average quality, so we slept okay but if you have back problems you may not sleep well. It was cool at night during our stay, but my husband used the a/c anyway, and the room felt stuffy in the late evenings. By morning it was fine, but it seemed to have a hard time when the room was full of people.

The bunk-bed room is actually the back half of another room that was split to create two suites. There is no window in that room, but there is a full bathroom, a pull-out couch, and a second television. The bunk beds each have a little light, which was handy for bedtime. They are too bright to leave on during the night, though, so we ended
up leaving on the vanity lights. I would recommend bringing a night-light or small light for scared kids, because even the vanity lights were pretty bright. There is no a/c unit in there, and the fan that pulls air was so loud my kids didn't want it on, so it got stuffy in the evenings.

The bathrooms each have two sinks, with the tub/toilet in a separate room. The tub in one bathroom was slow to drain, but nothing to complain about. The closets are tiny, but there are enough drawers for storage. We put our suitcases behind the curtains under the sinks, so they were out of the way without fighting with the closets.

The hotel was maybe half-full during the week we were there, so we didn't have a problem with parking or noise. On Thursday night it was
probably about two-thirds full, and people were standing outside their rooms talking to each other across the parking lot, but we didn't notice anything once inside our room. We also didn't have any problems with housekeeping. We kept the Do Not Disturb sign up until Thursday morning, and we weren't bothered. On Thursday they cleaned the room and none of our stuff was bothered.

The pool is pretty small, but it is heated and has a hot tub. I didn't get to go down to the pool, but everyone else enjoyed relaxing
after walking in the park all day. The pool is open til 10 p.m., but my husband and older kids were down there til almost 11 one night and no one said anything. The workout room is a treadmill, a recumbent bike and a broken tv. Good thing we were doing a lot of walking! We only did the continental breakfast one morning (Tuesday),
so I can't comment much except to say it was more than muffins and we left feeling satisfied.

We drove to the park each day, but I used the shuttle service to come
back during the day. It's $3 a day, or you can get a 3-day pass for $8. Kids are free, but I don't know to what age as I only took my baby and 5-year-old with me. You are on the 'N' bus, which is the route that goes furthest away from the park and takes the longest to get to and from the park. It felt like we watched every other bus return before our bus came, and then it was about 20 minutes to get to the hotel. The drivers were very nice and helpful, one even taking my stroller off the bus for me. Oh, and the stop is actually between Raffles and the neighboring hotel, so after getting off we had to walk to the other end of the building to get into the hotel parking lot. Not a big deal, but a bit of a hassle with a car seat, a stroller, a big diaper bag, and two tired kids who want to be carried.

We were able to extend check-out until 12:30 on Friday afternoon. When I went down I had to wait for two other guests also checking out. Michael was the employee who checked me out, and he immediately apologized for the wait (although it wasn't a long wait at all). Both he and the other employee there that morning were friendly and efficient.

Overall, I am very pleased with our decision to stay at Raffles. The few things I consider cons were minor annoyances at best, and I feel like we paid a reasonable rate for very pleasant accommodations.

Stayed May 2007
7 Thank Erikslady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

Unfortunately I did not read the review before I booked (2) rooms at this hotel (their pictures are Very Deceiving) this is an old Hotel that has had a face lift!

Our room had fleas, bugs in the Ice Bucket, and even though we had a ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on the door the maid knock on our door at 8:00 am - my daughter’s Suite was dirty and the toilet didn’t flush properly. When we told the front desk staff they just looked at each other and said, is that all that was wrong?*`! Not so much as we're sorry about the conditions or any talk of compensation!

Additionally when we arrived late that night after going to Disneyland there was no place to park our car. A hotel employee said, they were full and asked for our keys so he could double park our car and move it in case someone else could get out. "Not Kidding"

Be Fair Warned !!

• Liked — Close to Disneyland
  • Disliked — Not willing to do anything about the conditions we encountered.
  • Stayed May 2007
2 Thank NellieCalifornia
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

Housekeeoing stole my favorite shoes, when I went to the front desk they simply stated they were not liable and sent me on my way. I realize they cannot control their employees but even a coupon would have made me happy!
It wasn't all that clean... not a great experience.

• Stayed April 2003, traveled with family
4 Thank ladybug707
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2007

This hotel had a great proximity to Disneyland. Our room was okay...older style decor...but clean and two bathrooms. Our eldest son was able to sleep in the second room and have his own bathroom. Both of them had two sinks outside the main bathroom.
However what spoiled our visit was the guy at the front desk when we checked in...questions were answered very curtly and when we asked him what time Disneyland opened he pointed his finger at the Disneyland timetable on the counter and said " I dont know"....
The next day we had a better guy....the continental breakfast room was very basic, we actually had to find the butter ourselves in the storeroom.
all in all, no-one is there to stay in the room...reasonable rates for a large roomed hotel....good location to Disneyland....

• Liked — two bathrooms
  • Disliked — the guy at the front desk
  • Tips/Secrets — it really is the best place on earth
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank sydneytraveller63
West Hollywood, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2007

I had planned to spend a week in Disneyland in November, and I decided to book a hotel to stay in instead of the 1.5 hour drive from my house each day. I would usually have stayed somewhere with a bit more class, but my friend gave me a giftcard to Best Western for $500 so I decided, "Why not use it?"
I am used to higher standards. The room was a good size for myself, but nothing exceptional. The beds were comfortable but the sheets were rather scratchy. The shower heads didnt look that clean, and the water pressure was rather iffy. I did like the Best Western lotion and shampoo. I was hoping to take a morning swim one day, but I was dismayed to find the tiniest hotel pool I have ever seen. At least there was a nice continental breakfast in the morning, nicer than Ive seen at other Best Westerns. The breakfast room was roomy and had a TV set up so I could watch the morning news while drinking my tea. I noticed while I was in the front lobby that the Raffles Inn was a good neighbourhood hotel, which made me feel at ease with my choice to stay there. Although this hotel is a solid choice for some travellers, I am a conessiuer and next time I visit Disneyland I will be sure to stay at a different hotel.

• Liked — The continental breakfast.
  • Disliked — The rooms were not up to par with my usual accomidations.
  • Tips/Secrets — No need to bring your bathing suits here!
  • Stayed November 2006
3 Thank Little_Travel77
Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2006

This was the entire families first trip to Disneyland. We booked this hotel b/c of the price & location off of the Disneyland.com website. We got the kids suite which was cool since it had bunk beds & an additional tv set but there were gnats in the bathroom sink area. We would kill one & 5 more would appear. We called room service for additional pillows never received them. We also called the front desk to get the time the park opened...no one knew the answer! Getting off of the elevators there were HUGE waterbugs to great you....just disgusting! Stay some place else!!!!

• Liked — Location from Disneyland
  • Disliked — the BUGS!!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stick with the reliable brand name hotels like the Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank xzmommy
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

My family of 5 stayed in a kids suite for 8 nights in mid November. It was exactly as we expected. This is not a luxury hotel, but it was nice for the price. The pool and whirlpool were small but nicely heated and looked after. The place was quite clean although the carpets are stained. We never heard anything from another room although the walkways could get quite noisy early with excited children (a problem I am sure in every disney area hotel). The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very simple and there were long lineups for the toasters on the weekend. The meal consisted of toast, waffles, a pastery item, oatmeal, cereal and sometimes hard boiled eggs. It was plain but did the trick and was in a nice room (which was small when the hotel was full). The kids suite consisted of a queen bed, desk and TV in the outer room which was seperated by a french door from the rest of the suite. On the inside of this door was a very small washroom, sink and vanity, bunk beds a pull out sofa, TV and a sitting area under the window (at least on the 3rd floor). It was inconvienent to have no sink in the washroom as that meant disturbing the kids in the morning. The ART shuttle to Disney worked very well, although we were told by hotel staff to take the shuttle for the hotel across the street home, otherwise we would have a long detour to Angels Stadium. Overall, we quite liked this hotel and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Liked — Hotel staff
  • Disliked — bathroom layout
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy disney fireworks right from the hotel