“Ok but could be better”

Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
The Great State of TEXAS
“Ok but could be better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

We booked our stay at the Best Western Raffles thru Disneyland travel. I LOVE staying at Best Westerns as they have always had this clean, awesome smell to them. . .well, I was disappointed on this one. The room (suite) was somewhat musty smelling.

The rooms are of ok size (we had 5 adults). . .there is a seperate bedroom in the suite that my husband and I stayed in. The dresser stands in front of the closet so you had to work your way around the dresser to hang clothes.

The breakfast. . .it was boring. There were hard boiled eggs, bisc/gravy, donuts, toast, orange/apple juice and coffee/tea and some fruit. It was the SAME everyday. A little hard to swallow so we went out every other day. It was also not diabetic friendly. . .everything was carbs making things difficult to control blood sugars.

The main problem we had was we had to constantly ask for bathroom tissue and towels. . .the maid would leave 4 bath towels and one washcloth. . .now we're a family that shares but the line has to be drawn somewhere. . .when we got back to the room in the evening, I would every night have to go to the front desk and ask for toilet paper and towels. . .the guy that was the desk clerk at night wasn't the friendliest one around. . .one night he saw me coming, looked up and without me saying anything said. . .I'll send maintainence with towels/tissue. I wondered why if they knew this was going on why didn't they let the maid know what to take care of.

Those who mention the ART are totally correct. It is a waste of money. One would do better with buying a month pass for the city bus as it ran every 12 minutes (instead of 30-40). If the park closes at 8:00 p.m., the last ART bus runs at 8:30 p.m. We were at the stop at 8:32 p.m. (according to my cell phone) and we were denied boarding. I was NOT happy about that one. We took the city bus back to the motel and it worked out much better.

Overall, the stay was ok. . .I wouldn't stay at the Raffles again. . .would choose to stay across the street or even a Disney hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Nampa, Idaho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

My son and I stayed at this hotel May 5th-11th. Like everyone, I read alot of reviews on hotels before booking my vacation. Of course, reviews aren't based on our own perception or expectations so shouldn't always be what makes or breaks the decision. That being said, we had a great stay at this location.
We arrived at the hotel at 9am with check-in not until 3pm so I was hoping that the hotel would let us just leave our bags at the front desk so we could go to Downtown Disney. Bettter than that, since our room was ready they just let us check in - what a relief that was!!! Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful during the entire stay.
Our rooms were just right for us - we had two queen beds, table and 2 chairs, small microwave/fridge combo and dual sink vanity. We were really comfortable for our 6 night stay and always came back from Disneyland to a clean room.
The breakfast was pastries, fruit,cereals, biscuits/gravy, eggs, juices,milks,coffee. There was plenty of room when we were there in the mornings (around 7 seemed to be the best time).
The pool was pretty warm and wasn't too crowded when we went and the hottub was nice and hot! Sometimes not enough towels in the pool area but the front desk always got us some more when we asked.
There is the ART that comes out front of the hotel - which seemed to be the only problem we had. This is the last hotel for stops and was sometimes full by the time they got to us and we would have to wait for another bus. One time we did the walk to Disneyland and it took 20 minutes which wasn't bad for my 8 year old and myself but the shuttle was worth the wait :) The front desk has some tricks on getting back from Disneyland so it doesn't talk as long so make sure you ask abou that.

• Liked — Friendly staff, clean rooms, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Shuttle sometimes had a long wait
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank ckoliver1299
Ogden, UT
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Raffles Inn for our honeymoon 05/2008 and it was by far the worst hotel experience either of us have ever experienced and we have stayed in many hotels throughout our lifetimes. I don't believe our bathroom floor had ever been vaccumed mopped. We felt like we had to have our shoes on at all times. There was mold and mildew not only growing in the tub surround but traveling throughout every wall in the bathroom area. When we first arrived at our room at 11:30 pm the door was wide open for anyone to come in and use our restroom or bed. There are no DO NOT DISTURB signs that you can put on the outside of the door and we were woken up every morning by them trying to open the door. The breakfast was not even a morning snack. There is hardly any food and if there is, none of it is prepared food just toast. There was sausage gravy and biscuits and if you would like to go to the park with a happy tummy I would suggest staying away from this choice as well. They say the distance to Disneyland is walking distance but my husband and I who are in fairly good shape dreaded the walk at the end of a long day, if you have kids I would definately find something closer. We did choose to get shuttle passes and like others have said the shuttle comes about every 40 minutes and it does not drop off in front of the hotel but rather across the street at the Double Tree Inn which then you have to cross the street and walk up the other side to avoid getting hit by a car.
I would never ever recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2008

Was travelling with a family of 9, so had 2 rooms...the room that I was in,was a suite with a king bed, and then a separate room with 1 queen bed, and a sofa bed...the bathroom was good, considering that we had 3 gals in my room, the 2 sinks came in handy, and the shower being in a separate room was good...liked the great internet connection that was there....kids liked the pool and hot tub...

The down side:

The beds were extremely hard, we spent 3 nights there, and I was ready to scream...if you like hard beds, then this will be your delight, otherwise, you might be in trouble...on the forth day I spent the day at the beach, and fell asleep on the beach, and it tells you something about the beds, when I fall sleep on the beach in the sand, because of the beds...

The distance to Disneyland:

If you don't mind walking, then this is your place to stay, in the morning when you are fresh and raring to go, it would be maybe a 20 minute walk, but after a long day at Disney, and California Adventure, it will be a LONG 45-60 minute walk, more if you have tired kids...so it would be worth it to just pay the $11 parking daily fee, and come and go as you please...

The free breakfast was just ok, the same thing everyday though, no different daily choices...and the seating wasn't great especially with a big family..

Overall, for the price, just ok...would have spent a few bucks more for better beds, and closer to the park....next time, next time...

• Disliked — HARD BEDS--Distance to Disneyland
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2008

Stayed here for (of course) weekend at Disney with friends. First off, the building is somewhat dated but the front desk staff was very helpful and gave us a nice corner unit that had generous floorspace and the price was right. The downside was that since this was a suite pretty much everyone staying at the inn has a family and is visiting Disney with some pretty psyched up kids. The result was that it always sounded like a herd of elephants was moving in the room above us at all hours. The moral of this story is that if you want to stay here and actually would like to sleep be sure you get a room on the 3rd floor as the insulation in this building is pretty much non-existent and people can hear every step you take as well as what you are watching on TV.
The price includes a free continental breakfast which, while a good idea in theory, proved to be a feeding frenzy in reality. If you aren't the first one down there in the morning there will be no food left by 8:00 a.m. and the seating area is quite small.
The location in relation to Disney is decent if you don't mind a walk (about a mile to the gate.) There is a shuttle service that will take you down for $3 for a day pass but the bus runs about every 20 - 30 min and is sometimes full if you are attempting to board during peak a.m. and p.m. hours. If you walk you can get there faster. Overall, the experience was par for the course for the price and the staff really was very helpful. Just be sure to bring your earplugs.

• Liked — staff was very helpful, decent location in relation to restaurants and Disneyland
  • Disliked — very noisy building, breakfast was non-existent
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bihagirl
The Dalles, OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2008

This hotel was decent considering the price I paid. We stayed for 6 nights on a visit to Disneyland in January. The room was small, but nicely decorated. In the bathroom, you could either have the door open, or closed, but if it were open you couldn't use the toilet. The water pressure was good in the bathroom, but the water was hard so you couldn't really wash. The hotel overall was OK, but the parking lot flooded, and was small. Breakfast was a joke. Not many choices, food quality mediocre. Now, to the worst part. This hotel is WAY too far away from Disneyland to walk, so you have to rely on the ART. The stop was right outside the hotel, but we waited a minimum of 30 minutes between buses. To hurry and get up, get ready and eat breakfast and then wait at a bus stop for 30 minutes was really annoying. I won't say here again because of it. I suggest staying closer to the park, across the street if at all possible. It's not worth the wait for the bus!

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — location, size of rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank kadensmommy51902
Newcastle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

I was initially disappointed when I arrived at this hotel as it does not compare to it's website.

However, I did have an enjoyable stay here and the rooms offer everything you could need.

I was here for a conference but the hotel is close to Disneyland and the room I had was perfect for families.

The breakfast was basic but there was plenty choice from cereals, to toast and cakes. The only downfall was everything was served on polystyrene crockery so it wasn't enivronmentally friendly. I'd like to see the management review this policy.

I would recommend this hotel for those looking to visit Disneyland but do not want to pay over the odds to stay at the Hilton or Sheraton.

• Liked — Good Wifi service
  • Disliked — Lack of Environmental policy
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business