“Friendly & accommodating”

Best Western Plus Raffles Inn & Suites
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Hotel staff were great, all were very helpful & friendly. Free continental breakfast was delicious. Free wi-fi was an added benefit. Pool is smaller but well maintained. Shuttle using Anaheim transit is very close & easy to use. Our family thoroughly enjoyed our 8 night stay at the Best Western.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank RonB_77

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I really liked this hotel. It was clean and comfortable. The location was good. Breakfast was better than most. Staff was friendly and efficient. Room rates were very reasonable.

BUT. . .having said all the good stuff I probably won't stay there again because of the extra $13 a night they charged me for a "resort fee". It's a nice 2 star - but I kept wondering where the "resort" was that I was getting charged for.

I guess like airlines, hotels have found a new source of revenue in these add-on fees. But it seems a tad dishonest to sell me a room at one rate and then charge me a different rate after I have booked and showed up. Though Best Western got a little extra cash from me today, they've probably lost a future guest.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank RS191714128
Reviewed August 28, 2012

A really great hotel, Stayed to 15 nights had no problems, great for disney, 10 minutes and your there! Staff where frendly, room was always clean! Breakfast was ok. Could do with a better selection though.

Room Tip: Top Floor, less noise!
1  Thank Kris67016
Reviewed August 28, 2012

we stayed here several times & has always been a good experience. Bus picks up right outside of Hotel every 20 minutes drops off right at Disneyland main gate...only down side was hotel only sold 1 day passes for bus. Staff is very friendly & informative.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jenny W
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week. We went to Disneyland for 3 days.

Okay, there are a few valid gripes about the Best Western Raffles that I've read here. However, if you are doing Disney, and are on a budget, this place is affordable, and right around the corner from the park, and there is every kind of restaurant in every direction!

Sure, the hotel is old, and the rooms are a bit outdated and could use refreshing as far as the decor, furniture and carpet.
And yeah, the air conditioning units need to be replaced or at the very least, thoroughly cleaned out. The air that comes out is a tad smelly.
And I think someone mentioned a problem with cable television. Ours was spotty, but I didn't really care since the only tv we watched were the Olympic highlights after we came home at midnight when the park closed. I'm not there to watch tv, so it really wasn't an issue at all.

But let's talk for a moment about the reason I give this place 5 stars. It's because of the staff, the affordability, and it being basically everything we needed.
I've stayed in every type of hotel from luxury resorts, to old 25 room hotels right off the freeway simply to get rest before heading out on a long road trip.
I'm fairly picky about my accommodations, and would never sleep anywhere dirty or where facilities were not in working order.

The staff, from the front desk, to housekeeping, to maintenance, are so incredibly friendly and there to help you with anything.

The fact that this stay comes with a free breakfast is something any family on a budget can appreciate.
Breakfast that is included has much more to offer than most "free breakfasts".

Offerings are waffles, cereal, yogurt, fruit, toast, doughnuts, danishes, coffee, and juices. There's even everything you need to make a sausage, egg and cheese muffin.
The breakfast dining room was very clean and appeared to be fairly recently remodeled.

The rooms are comfy, and with our family of 4, we really enjoyed the "kid's suite" that includes a room pretty much all to themselves, with a sleeper sofa, bunk beds and a television.

Parking seems to be a bit of a challenge. The lot is double and triple parked via valet in the evenings. We flew in and took a taxi to the hotel. We didn't rent a car until we checked out, and headed up to the Bay Area for a few days before heading home.
No car, no problem.

The pool is very small, but it's fine for a refreshing dip after 100 degrees and a day of Disneyland! Well done on the professional photo of the pool. It was done to make the pool look quite a bit bigger than it is :-)

My only BIG GRIPE with this hotel, is where the smokers do their thing. The black chimney ash tray thing is right by the staircase that's located by the lobby.

It's impossible to avoid the stench, even when there aren't any active smokers in the area. It's hard to hold your breath while going down 3 flights of stairs. My daughter has asthma, and coughed every time she went down the stairs.
Sorry, but smokers should be shoved over in the corner by the fence of the empty parking lot next door to the property.

Overall, this is a great value, and a great location.

GETTING TO DISNEY:
While I heard the ART bus line was easy and inexpensive, we didn't use it.
You can easily walk to Disneyland. As anther reviewer mentioned, the streets are lined with trees trimmed with white lights all down Harbor Boulevard.
If you don't want to walk the whole way, simply head out on the hotel driveway, turn right, and walk almost to the next intersection. Look to your right, you'll see a ramp that leads to the Disney parking lot. Walk to the shuttle buses. They run all day and into the night. This is the Toy Story lot, and the bus route is #17. When you return, the stop you want is "Woody" (Toy Story character).

It was like a secret entrance. We went to and from the park twice each day, and never saw another soul taking this route! It was like a hidden gem that no one else knew about.
But again, to walk the whole way to the park isn't much of a trek either. We did that walk once having had dinner on the way at Cheesecake Factory, and it took maybe 15-20 minutes total from the hotel.
A couple of other reviewers mentioned that they felt "unsafe" on the walk to and from Disneyland. But we are used to the city and never felt unsafe or encountered anything or anyone unsavory.

RESTAURANTS IN THE AREA:
Ruth's Chris is right across the street. Morton's Steak, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen are all right there, too. We ate at a brew pub called Clancy's, about a block away. I didn't catch her name, but the woman who seated us appeared to be the manager or possibly the owner. She was very warm when she greeted us, and quickly grabbed a remote and turned one of the many televisions showing sports, to Nickelodeon for our kids. :-)
Although the portions were a bit on the small side, the pot roast was killer. They also offer several mac and cheese variations that my husband and daughter loved.

There are also dozens and dozens of smaller restaurants to choose from that are within walking distance as well. Everything from Mexican, Italian, and burgers and pizza, etc.

My Disney tips:
Go first thing in the morning, take a break mid-day and have a swim. Then head out for dinner and Disney until close.
Repeat :-)

The hotel gift shop has water bottles for a dollar. A couple dollars cheaper than what you'll pay at the park.

Grab an apple from the lobby on your way back out to the park. It was nice and refreshing :-)

Get those fast passes for rides as often as possible. There's nothing like not having to wait in a long line.

Ready yourself for pushy people who think they can shove past you in any kind of line. I was amazed at what I witnessed. Much of society is unfortunately behaving like spoiled, self-centered children. People who can't turn off their Iphones and Ipads for 10 minutes, that ruin the darkness of the Haunted Mansion and Pirates of The Caribbean were especially annoying.

Back to the Best Western Raffles......... If you want to stay at a comfortable, friendly hotel, where you'll save money, stay here! :-D

Room Tip: Oh, remember to ask for a 3rd floor room. You'll find it a little more peaceful since there are...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
25  Thank floomper
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Very good location,great breakfast, slow but free Wi-Fi. Breakfast was always well-stocked whether you arrived early or near the end. Had room #301 for our two family group of 7. The suite consisted of two bedrooms. The outer room was typical and the inner room had a bunk bed and sleeper couch with no window but it was a quiet room and great for the kids (one of the parents liked the bunk bed and slept quietly there!). The parking lot was tight with limited space but hotel staff allowed tandem doubled- up parking and took care of moving any vehicle if it had to come out first in the morning. Overall a 3 to 4 star rating based on European standards. There is a shuttle bus to the front gate of Disney which is good for 1 or 2 people, otherwise larger groups will find it cheaper to drive and park in the new massive Disney parking garage.

Room Tip: The more quiet rooms are usually on the top 3rd floor. There is an elevator but it is easy to walk u...
4  Thank JohnHChicagoIllinois
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We arrived on Wednesday after traveling all day. I have a son who is a diabetic--he had been running high in his blood sugars all day--my husband and I had been monitoring him after he went to bed--but by 11:30 at night he had dropped really low. we needed to get sugar into him fast. My husband went down to the lobby to see if they had an ATM so he could get a soda. The clerk said they didn't, but took out his wallet and gave my husband $2 to get a soda. He had no idea we needed it for our diabetic son--my husband just told him he wanted a soda. Also, we had our room right above the designated smoking area. Smoke was coming in through the air conditioning vent most of the night. We asked the next morning if we could be moved. They moved us to a new room while we were out playing that day--we didn't have to stay and do it. I also liked that there was plenty of room for all of my kids to sleep.

2  Thank Tracy W