“Good week at Disneyland”

Desert Palms Hotel & Suites
Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Victoria, Canada
“Good week at Disneyland”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

Just spent a week at the Desert Palms hotel and suites in Anaheim. Was there with my daughter and 2 granddaughters for a promised visit to Disney. Had found the hotel on line through Trip Advisor and booked it early getting a great rate. When we checked in they had upgraded us to a suite which was even better.
We were so happy to find out how close we were to the Disney Park, just around the corner and approximately 2 city blocks from the entrance without having to cross a busy street.
Breakfast in the morning was a bonus too as there weren't any decent restaurants in the area for breakfast. Granted donuts were a hit with the girls, but then they were on holidays!
The pool was ok, although a bit shaded and cool some days. The girls enjoyed it after a long day of walking.
The staff at the hotel were very helpful and responded quickly to fix minor problems.
I would recommend the Desert Palm to families wanting to be close to Disneyland.

5 Thank Judy W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have stayed at a number of hotels in the Disneyland area over the past 2-3 years and recently tried this hotel for the first time. Here is my unbiased and honest review (Keep in mind I have worked in the hotel industry for many years so I am very detailed):

Location: One of the closest hotels to Disney (walking distance). We could see in to the park from our room and we had an amazing view of the fireworks at night. Hotel is next door to a 7-11 which is convenient for snack runs without having to drive.

Rooms: Hotel offers standard guest rooms as well as suites catering to families. We reserved the "Borrego Suite" which slept 6. This was a large room with a sunken living room area that had a full size sofa sleeper. The room was separated by a railing and a thick curtain which could be closed for added privacy or noise reduction (awesome when you have both TVs going at once). Room has 2 queen beds, a table with 4 chairs and a large sitting chair. Rooms were clean and well kept. Hotel staff does a great job at cleaning ( I thoroughly inspected the sheets, mattresses, and box springs on both beds and sofa sleeper). Room was well dusted and bathroom was thoroughly cleaned (checked under toilet seat, behind toilet, inside rim of toilet, sink and bath/shower)

Amenities: Rooms have your standard mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker (small 2-4 cups), security safe, iron/ironing board, Hair dryer, and shampoo + hand soaps lotion. Hotel has a pool, and Jacuzzi which is open from 9am-10pm, and a small fitness room. Hotel has a small arcade area with games,and vending machines.

Food: Hotel has an eatery called the Sand Box onsite so you dont have to leave property to get food if you dont want to. Also some room rates include free breakfast buffet. Buffet (if included in your room rate) is free for all guests staying in your room and I think it started at 6:30am to 10am. Breakfast was plentiful, and included items to suite most peoples tastes and dietary needs. The food was very fresh and was prepared well, and there were several staff member replenishing food, cleaning, and assisting guests during breakfast. Hotel does not mind if you take food to the room which I was really happy about because I have a disabled son and its easier to feed him in the room. Many other hotels in the area do not let you take items from the breakfast buffet to the room no matter the circumstances and I appreciated the fact that I didn't have to worry about making arrangements for my son to eat. Depending on your travel dates it can get pretty busy in there especially from 8am-10am.

Parking: Hotel has its own onsite parking garage with two levels of parking. We traveled during the memorial day weekend and didnt have any issues finding a spot. Parking is safe and secure and is FREE

Gift Shop: Hotel has onsite gift shop with lots of Disney and California souvenirs, over the counter meds, and toiletries that are moderately priced.

Staff and Service: When it comes to staff and service this hotel really shines. Again I have worked in the hotel industry for many years so I am very particular when it comes to staff and service. Every member of staff that we encountered was friendly and said hello or smiled when they encountered you or saw you on the property. Guest services was EXCEPTIONAL. Made several requests (in room requests, check in/out requests, information requests, etc)all of which were dealt with quickly,and completely. Staff went out of their way to accommodate our requests (hotel was not aware that I worked in the industry), and was friendly and courteous the entire time. I was extremely impressed by the level of service that was provided and would rate this property number 1 in this area. Staff was appropriately attired, well presented, and maintained appropriate etiquette at all times even when on break/off property (saw some staff in the parking garage and at 7-11 on break talking and staff were very well mannered at all times). Staff was well spoken, attentive, and welcoming at all levels including housekeeping and maintenance.

Miscellaneous: The hotel hosts lots of families which at other hotels can be quite noisy (including my own) and sometimes obtrusive, but I did not hear any other families while in the room at all during our stay. The room was very quiet and I didn't even hear anyone when they were in the hallway (super sound proofing maybe???) I was really surprised because most of the hotels near Disney tend to be really loud at all hours of the day and night due to the high traffic but we were able to enjoy a quiet nights rest which was nice.

Notes: Our stay was unlike any other hotel stay we have had in the area and we have stayed at several hotels near Disney (we go to Disney usually 2-3 a year). Despite this hotel hosting lots of families going to Disneyland you do not feel like the place is over run by wild kids and loud families. Even during the breakfast rush the hotel was very calm and easy going. This hotel is phenomenal and its staff is stellar. Management is easy to contact and prompt in their responses to guests. I would recommend this hotel not only to families, but anyone staying in the area looking for a quality 5 star experience at a very reasonable price. My family cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Try one of the family suites if you are traveling with kids! They rooms with bunk beds that the kids...
8 Thank Natasha R
Malaga, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We chose this hotel for our trip to Disney because of good comments on Tripadvisor. 3 nights with 2 kids. Clean room, and spacious enough only for overnight (what we were looking for). Not bad beds. Breakfast (included in price) is average.
Negative things:
There were no curtains and the blinds let the light into the room. I hate being woken by light. Our room in ground floor had the view of the parking. In this parking there was a car with a very sensitive alarm. Every night we "listened to the music" of the alarm sounds. Really annoying. I hoped to not to hear the car alarm every night, but I heard it every night. Perhaps I should have requested other room, but we reached the hotel really tired and not fancy to change the room. There were no good free wifi network coverage in the room (only in the bathroom). Very early in the morning the maid cleaning with vaccum cleaner woke up everyday. I think we had bad luck with the room because the hotel is not bad in general.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 4th floor. Avoid rooms in ground floor with view to the parking.
1 Thank fersolsan
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed here for 10 days for our California trip. Check-in and out was very fast. The lobby has a Disney feeling so kids loved it. Parking is free (actually you can park underground which was very convenient). It is super close to Disneyland (with 2 little kids it took us 10 minutes walk to Disney gates). Hot Breakfast is included but the menu does not change so you get tired of eating the same thing every day. The rooms are clean and cleaned everyday. Also, it comes with free-wireless which was very convenient. My only concern was the water/shower/bath sound that comes from other rooms. They truly need a good upgrade on their water pipes because it is too noisy. Overall, it was a great stay.

1 Thank DennisTurco
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Unlike a few previous reviews, We had a great stay! We were there for 5 nights and found everything to be just fine for our first time to Disney. This is not a "resort" hotel, do not expect it to be, it is by no means Motel 6 either though. With all the choices to be made, I highly suggest staying at the Desert Palms. The breakfast is hot and there are enough choices to last you thru the week. Besides, we are home now and does it really matter what you ate last week if it got you thru? We could have spent more for less at any other hotel. It is a bit of a walk to the parks, but for us it was part of the adventure. If you are planning your first trip and am unsure with all the choices. I believe that you will find this hotel just fine and the breakfast will save you at least $40.00 or more per day (we spent $45.00 on breakfast one day inside the park for far less food). The hotel staff were awesome for us and very freindly. The Sandbox Cafe was also good. It is a "cafe" though, not a cloth napkin restaurant, they offered enough selections for all of us to be fed and happy. We were on a budget and this hotel fit the bill both in cost and value. We will definately stay there again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor. No view, but very quiet.
5 Thank Ray P
Anaheim, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel is an OK distance from Disneyland BUT Rooms are dingy and the hotel is "cut up" its like walking through a maze. rooms are small and stuffy, NO comforters on the beds AND I called for blankets and was told we don't have any more UGH! The front desk staff could care less about any issues, kind of rude. I was supposed to have a view and balcony, THAT WAS A JOKE! It was a small step out with a view of the cars and a large brick wall. Over yonder was the back of one of the rides.. OH I am STILL mad about this! The restaurant down stairs has like 6 tables and is like a bar with tables. Breakfast that everyone brags about but the coffee cups are like kids tea cups and NO real cream, only powder creamer stuff YUCK! I could go on bu this place gives me a headache! Maybe I will write more later?? If you have kids and need the rooms with bunk beds I guess it's OK but for 4 adults just get 2 suites so your not clostrophobic! Dont try to put 4 people in one suite.. Awful Awful waste of money.. ruined my vacation!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, they LIE when they say balcony with view, I got a small brick step out wit...
Green Features: Who knows.. I had sanitary napkin bags on my toilet , not very attractive to walk into
Somerset, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

This hotel was awesome. We booked it for our trip to Disney land and i was a little hesitant but it was great! The lobby is beautiful and clean and the staff are very welcoming. The room was great nice and quiet even though it was on the first floor you couldn't hear a thing. They provided a crib for our toddler which was great! Room def. looked better in person then online and bathroom was nice and clean and great working shower. The pool is small but good enough for a quick swim with the kids and it gets warm from the heat but keeps you out of the sun. The breakfast that is included is great. Nice variety of food and the staff keeps the tables clear and clean. Although it gets packed there is always a seat available. The hotel also has a bar/grill attached which is nice and you can order from your room from the grill and the prices are completely reasonable no crazy room service pricing. You can pick it up or have brought to the room for a small charge. My only complaint would be the wifi in our room was very weak so we couldn't use it but we weren't there to be on the internet so i didn't care too much. The hotel is in a great location near lots of places to eat outside of disney and about a 10 min walk to the park which is nice. You can see cars land from the pool it's that close to the park but yet you don't hear any noise. I highly recommend this hotel and i would def go back!

5 Thank Nadya F