“What can I say, great place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Stanford Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Fresno, CA
“What can I say, great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

Let me start by saying that I was not sure about staying here. I thought it was too far to walk to the park and I was unsure about this hotel because of a stay at another hotel from this same chain. Boy, I could not have been more WRONG!

I went online and booked the room. I was able to use an additional discount card, and got a kid's suite for the price of a single room. I also requested extra towels, which were already there, waiting for us. The room came with a refridgerator and a microwave, something I am not used to getting from many hotels in Anaheim.

We arrived a bit late but checked in with no problems. The room was on the second floor, which is what I prefer. The room was very clean and quiet. I think we made the most noise. (My apologies to the guests next to us) The towels were there, as requested. The kids loved the bunk beds, which were in there own room. They even had a table, dresser, and tv in their room. All in all, more than what I expected but very comfortable. There was also a room safe, which the kids loved. They set up the combination and took care of that for me.

The next morning, the kids went down for breakfast. They love making their own waffles. I even asked them to bring food up to me. I was given a choice of eggs, fruit, danish, toast, waffles, and juice. It was plenty, as I am not a big breakfast eater anyways. We even went down late a couple of times but there was still plenty of food to go around.

The staff did an excellent job making up the room each day. They even told us what drinks were not available in the vending machines. Who knows that? They did!!! The front desk staff was well informed about shuttles too. I ended up driving but my friend used the shuttle. Very convenient, is how she put it. The price was okay too. My daughter forgot her toothbrush. Instead of going out to buy one, the front desk provided her with one. Excellent planning, on the hotel's part!

When it came time to check out, again, no issues. She was very friendly, and wished us a safe trip. This was during the storm that hit.

Parking was not a problem. I was able to park right outside the room most of the time. I think I had one night where I was an aisle away. The wireless internet access was great. It was free, and the front desk provided me with the access code. I did not take advantage of the pool though. We forgot suits plus I thought it was a bit cold outside, though I did see quite a few other guests enjoying themselves.

I just have to say that this was a very nice place to stay. I would definitely recommend this location, and use it again myself. By the way, the walk to Disneyland is about a mile away. Not very far but my kids are older. I may not recommend the walk for toddlers. I actually like staying a little bit away from the park. It is not as noisy or congested.

A tip for drivers, I-5 and the 405 are very close to the hotel. Gettng on and off the freeways was never a problem. Plenty of places to eat, Starbucks is there, Big 5 and Target. What more can anyone ask for?.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 14, 2009
It is glad to learn that our staffs did do a good job. Our goal is to ensure our guests, like you and your family, to have a wonderful memory for their Disneyland vacation trip and an enjoyable experience staying with us.

We will continuously work hard to serve our guests like we always did. We are looking forward to seeing you visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Korean first
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

We booked our trip through a travel agent and understood this was a decent hotel without tons of amenities...we knew it wasn't 5-star. And, we were so surprised when we got there!!! We had just received 3 foster children prior to our trip so we headed there with 6 kids and knew we wouldn't have enough room. The receptionist got us into a suite and she was so sweet, we offered to pay the difference but she said no; there wasn't anyone booked! It was an answer to prayer! We had a great time, the cleaning staff was friendly and cleaned our room around "nap-time" and we were able to get those little extras we forgot...6 kids you're bound to forget something!!!

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 10, 2009
It is glad to learn that you and your family love our place and services and willing to come back staying with us when you visit Disneyland next time.

Your repeated business is the best reward for our hard working. We are looking forward to serving you and your family again.

Wayne
Owner - Comfort Inn Maingate - Anaheim
SF Bay Area
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

Hello All,
First I want to say I love tripadvisor.com. This site has been such a great research tool for me and my family as we embark on trips around the world.

Now for the review of Comfort Inn Maingate. We decided to meet my brother and sister-in-law and their kids at the hotel and go to Disneyland for President's Day weekend to celebrate my neices birthday. Since we were coming from the Bay Area my son and I decided to come the night before on Friday so we could spend the night and get up and go to the parks. Based on the reviews from this site, we selected the Comfort Inn Maingate because we were looking for a place with complimentary parking, internet, breakfast and a pool and this hotel was suppose to have it all. Upon arrival, the lady at the front desk was nice and got us all checked in. The room was basic but "looked" clean and it was late when we arrived so we went to the room, threw our suitcases down and hit the sack.

We had double beds but my son wanted to sleep with me (he is 5) so we slept in one bed. The next morning, I woke up automatically at 6am all prepared to get us dressed and hit DL but my son was sleeping so soundly, I hated to wake him up so I got out of the bed and pulled back the cover on the other bed so I could rest and watch TV from that bed. When I pulled back the cover, ot my super surprise, there was a dead baby roach in the bed! I was so mad, shocked, etc. I immediately, pulled the cover off my son and did not see anything but he was still sleep. I had to go to the bathroom and when I came out the bathroom I looked around the room (to see if there were more little friends lurking around). I then went to grab the remote and one of the little friends (roaches) greeted me. I immediately screamed in horror because we do not live like that. I woke up my son from sleeping so good (darnit) and when I turned around, there were more roaches on the ceiling, tables, etc. I was in such a frenzy, we had not even brushed out teeth, bathed, combed hair or nothing and I was forced to leave the room running with my suitcases in one hand (mind you we had 3) and son in the other. I ran to the fronk desk and tears were everywhere because I felt our entire day was ruined - it was bright Saturday morning, I had no where to get me or my son dressed and my brother adn sister-in-law were in route from Las Vegas to check into this roach motel I reserved for us. :-0. I told the front desk lady what happened as the other people behind the desk looked on and she said she would refund the 1st night but not the second night until she talked to the manager. We had to use the bathroom in the lobby to get dressed for the day. They did cancel my brother's reservation without any problems and the lady at the fron desk did call me later the next day to say they manager would not charge my card at all. He did not apologize for our inconvenience and did not call me personally as I did leave my number (he had the lady at the front desk leave a message on my phone).

I said to the lady at the front desk that I could not possibly be the only one having these issues because it was so many and they did not come with us and she looked at me like a deer in headlights! Mind you this was a very cold weekend, not a lot of rain but me being the happy go lucky person I am, cleaned up and made it to DL/CA to have a great rest of the morning/afternoon and instead of checking into another hotel in Anaheim for Sat night, we decided to drive to Las Vegas baby!

In conclusion, I have been to DL several times and have not experienced any roaches at any of the hotels I have stayed at in the past (but then again, I have spent a lot more money in the past and stayed at much higher class hotels) but since we were doing a quick weekend and the weather was not up to par for the hotel pools, we wanted to just get a basic room this time to save money. I will never do that again. You get what you pay for. We are going back in April for my son's 6th b-day but we will be staying at one of the DL hotels this time as I am pretty sure the weather will be much better and we don't want to see any of those little "visitors" again.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
I am sincerely apologizing that you and your family had such a bad experience staying with us. In additions, my manager did not contact you in person is our fault as well since we have an internal communication problem for this issue. He though I already called you and I though he already did.

My manager reported to me right away once he learned this pest control problem happened in the room you stayed. We closed that room immediately. We called our contracted pest control technician, Isotech Pest Control Services which is one of the leading companies in the pest control industry, to check out the problem. We moved out every single furniture and carefully checked it throughout. We could not find any roaches in the first beginning. Then we started to open the electrical outlets and removed the wall-mounted lamps trying to find out where those roaches live. End up, we found the roaches actually live in the inside of alarm clock. There are warm and the space is concealed which is perfect for them to hide.

We then opened all our alarm clocks in all of our rooms and checked whether there is any roach hiding inside. We even sprayed the medicine to keep the roaches away from our alarm clocks.

I believe that the efforts we took should be able to prevent this type of problem happen again.

Wayne Jiang
Owner, Comfort Inn Maingate - Anaheim
Tracy, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

This was the worst hotel I've been to! After reading the reviews I thought that this was the perfect hotel. Our main purpose was to just find a decent place to have a good night sleep and enjoy most of our time at Disneyland. We weren't looking for anything fancy, but certainly not what we ended up in. We arrived late and we got a room in the far back of the hotel. The initial problem was the smell of urine right outside the hotel hall. As we entered the room all we were hit with was a stuffy and warm moldy odor. It was horrible! They did not have the AC on because according to the front desk, they do not run the AC while the room is empty to cut cost on energy. That is understandable if the room was vacant for a few days or so, but if your expecting a guest atleast have the room cooled off before their arrival. It took a while to get the room to cool off and mind you this is already after midnight and we were so tired after a 5 hour drive. We got the kid's suite and the room with the bunkbed did not have it's own AC. It had a hole in the wall with a fan that was suppose to share the cool air of the main room and that barely worked so the kid's room actually stayed warm & stuffy with the moldy odor.
The fan in the 2nd bathroom was broken and made a LOUD noise that the kids were actually afraid to use that bathroom. It sounded light there was something loose and the fan was going to just come down any minute. The grout in bathroom as first enter was broken and falling apart. There were small pieces of the grout that kept breaking off every time you walk into the bathroom. We had our son that just turned one and at that age they put everything in their mouth so that was another thing we kept having to look out for just in case there were more pieces of grout laying around. Now the worse part of the stay was when one of the kids got into the bottom bunk and as he pulled the comforter down we were in absolute shock to find pubic hair in the bed! For one, if it's a kids bed there should be that kind of hair there and two, was the bed even washed?
At that point I started calling other hotels, but unfortunately everyone was booked for that night so we had no choice but to stay there. I was able to find another hotel for the remainder of our stay so we immediately packed our things and checked out early in the morning. I spoke to the manager and all they did was give us a discount of the room. They said that they would not be able to comp the room because we did not give them a chance to fix the problem. Now tell me, from the hot & bad smelling odor and pubic hair in the bed, how do they expect to have been able to fix that problem. I know it's been a few months sice we have stayed at the hotel and I'm not a person to complain, but just reading about the current reviews, the hotel obviously hasn't changed for the better so I thought why not share my experience as well. Another thing I found that was funny was when I looked at there website at http://www.comfortinnmaingate.com/kids-suites.shtml, it actually states by the hotel themselves, "Once you go "Kid's Suites," you'll never go back!" LITERALLY! =)

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
First of all, I regret that you have a bad experience with our property. We are the new Owner starting on 10/10/2008. I noticed that there are several complain regarding the housekeeping and guest service during the time from July to the date we took over this property. I believed that the previous Owner realized that they were going to sell this property and decided to care no more about this property. That’s why they did not comp or give you any discount. That’s also why the qualities for the housekeeping and guest service are dropping severely.

After we took over this property, we watch the staff’s performance real close and they all know we are seriously. Their performance immediately being improved to the level we expected. Matter of fact, we just have a Franchise Quality Assurance Review inspection done by 2/27/2009. This inspection is taking place without a notice in advance. Inspector pretended as a guest and stayed in our property the night before and showed up in front desk to request an inspection in the next morning. The scores for our guestroom cleanliness is 96.5% and for guestroom condition is 91.6%. Both scores are substantially improved from the last year’s performance and much better that the Comfort Inn’s standard – 85%.

I did realize that the air condition issue for the kid suite room with two baths. This is a building design problem. I am working with an Architect now and try to find the right solution to resolve this concern. This building was built on 1980. I don’t understand why the previous Owners (I know there are at least 4 different owners owned this property before us) did not take care this. Since we are the current Owner, it leaves us no other choice and have to deal with this issue.

Thanks again your comments for our property. Your honest comments will help us to emphasis the areas we need to improve most. We are also appreciating that you pointed out the verbiage in our website does need to be modified.

Wayne Jiang
Owner, Comfort Inn Maingate - Anaheim
Colton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2009

My family and I just love this hotel. It's the only hotel in Anaheim that offers kids rooms with 2 bathrooms which is a life saver when traveling with 3 kids. This was our second visit to this hotel and it was every bit as great as our first trip. My husband and I and 2 of our 3 kids (ages 14 and 3) planned a 2 day trip to Disneyland for my husband's birthday and instantly we knew what hotel we would be staying at because our first experience was so wonderful. The staff at this hotel is extremely nice. The comfort and spaciousness of the hotel is just to our liking and the kids love to stay in their own separate space. The love the bunkbeds and the fact that they have their own TV so that they don't have to watch what mom and dad was watching. The kids room area is so large that they could play on the floor with plenty of room. The location of this hotel to Disneyland is excellent. The price we paid for a room like the one we had was unbelieveable! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling with families and recommend the kids suite with 2 bathrooms! My family and I will be sure to return as it's the only hotel we consider when staying in Anaheim!

• Liked — The friendly hotel staff and spacious comfy room.
  • Disliked — Nothing
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2009
It is glad to know that you and your family like our place and our services then come back staying with us on a second time. Be honestly, the only purpose for all of our staffs' hard working is make guests happy and willing to come back when they visit this area next time. Your repeated visit is our biggest reward.

I will pass your compliment to all the staffs and have them continuously do the way they are doing.
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2008

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, we thought that we had found the perfect solution to our search for a hotel during our recent trip to Disneyland. Boy, were we ever mistaken!! I have to wonder if the people who wrote positive reviews for this hotel stayed at the same hotel that we did.
Here is our story:
We arrived around 6:30 PM on a Sunday night. I walked into the lobby and waited at least a half an hour before the one person who was working there finally was able to check us in. My husband who was waiting in the car with the kids finally had to come in and check to see if I was okay because it took so long. Once I finally got to check in, the process was reasonably smooth, but the person checking us in was most definitely not friendly or helpful like other reviews stated. She was curt, and seemed annoyed by the questions that I asked her.
After checking in, we found our room easily. As soon as we walked into the room, we were overwhelmed by a horrible mildew/moldy smell that was also mixed with the smell of a potent cleanser. It turned my stomach immediately and started a long episode of asthma issues that my son is still dealing with. We looked around the room and it was the same as what we saw on the hotel's web site, but much dingier and dirtier. The walls seemed to have some sort of grime on them, especially in the areas above the bunk beds (we were staying in one of the kid suites). The floors in the bathroom were also very dirty. There was even half of a sunflower seed left on our bathroom floor from the previous guests as well as some other type of dirt- I don't know what it was. We also noticed things that are unimportant, but not fun to look at, like holes in the wall where pictures once existed. There was also very little light in the room adding to the feeling of the room being dirty and dingy. Needless to say, we were very unhappy and this definitely put a damper on our excitement at being at Disneyland. We serioulsy considered amending our reservation from 7 nights to just the one night and finding another hotel, but it was a little too late to really do this.
The next day, our impression of the hotel definitely didn't get any better. When getting in the shower, I found that the shower head was too short for me and I'm only 5'5". After taking a shower, we discovered that our feet were black from walking around on the carpet. My daughter was wearing little white socks which also became black from the carpet. Our guess is that this dirt in the carpet is what was causing the mildew/moldy odor in the room, but it is hard to say for sure. My husband went and got us breakfast and it was a typical continental breakfast. Not too bad, but definitely couldn't eat it for 7 days straight, still was one of the few nice parts of the stay. Then, we went to Disneyland. We opted to drive because it was too far to walk and after looking at the ART schedule we discovered that it was cheaper for our family to drive rather than buy the bus tickets. We were very surprised at how far it was from the "Maingate" of Disneyland since that is part of the hotel's name. We were definitely happy that we had chosen to drive.
The next day, my mom came and joined us and got her own room. She was incredibly disappointed, too, so it wasn't just us. She was absolutely disgusted by the dirt in the carpet, so I know that the carpets are dirty in other rooms, not just ours. I do remember reading a review that mentioned that they had dirty carpets and the response was that it was isolated to that room. Don't believe that it is just an isolated incident, the management desperately needs to have all of the carpets cleaned in all of the rooms!!! My mom and step-father also decided to use the hot tub, which was ice cold! They were very disapointed, but after a long drive decided to sit there for a few minutes anyway. They noticed that there was a film of dirt in the bubbles in the hot tub which was concerning to them. When my mom got back to her room and changed she discovered that she had a layer of dirt and grime left on her skin from the hot tub. Once again, she was disgusted.
That night when we got back from the park and going out to dinner, we were exhausted. So, we were looking forward to getting into our room and to bed. Yet, when we went to open our door, our key wouldn't work. My husband went to the office and was given a new key. Guess what, they only programmed that key for one night, and we still had four more to stay. So, we had to repeat that again the next night. Trust me, when it is late and cold, the last thing that you want to do is stand outside waiting to get a new key just because they couldn't bother to program your key for the correct number of nights.
Our last night there, we drove past the lobby and saw someone standing outside in a hooded sweatshirt smoking a cigarette. It was about 11:30 at night and we both felt a little uncomfortable. Then, we went to our door, and of course, our key didn't work yet again. I went to get a new key and walked into the lobby to discover that the person that had been out there smoking was in fact the person working there. I tried to explain my problem with the key, but had to yell over the loud music that was blaring throughout the entire lobby. Very unprofessional!! She eventually got me a new key after treating me like I was inconveniencing her and I was able to get us into our room. Boy, was I ever thankful that it was our last night!!!
In summary, I will never ever stay at this hotel again. I realize that it is a two star hotel and I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton. But, I was expecting a clean, comfortable room, with courteuos staff. I most definitely did not get any of that. Instead, we got a room that was dirty and inconvenient and has even caused health issues for my son. I did a lot of research before choosing this hotel and I defintely could have picked one that was closer to Disneyland ,and I'm sure would have been a lot nicer, for about the same price. The only reason that I chose thise one was due to the positive ratings on this web site and because I was able to get a larger room for my money. That was a huge mistake!!!!

• Liked — Breakfast, Beds were decent
  • Disliked — Everything else!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 30, 2008
I am regret that our room conditions and services did not meet your expectation. Please remember that we do provide a 100% satisfaction guarantee program. If you are not pleased with your room or service, please contact with the front desk staff. In case that we can not correct the situation in a timely manner to your satisfaction, we will not charge your room. Unfortunely, you did not bring our attention during your stay, we lost such opportunity to correct it and make you and your family feel better.

Based on the information that you checked in on a Sunday 6:30PM, you stayed 7 days, and you are from Washington, I have checked all our guests' profiles and successfully identify that you are the family checked in our room #121 on Dec. 7. The following lists are some responses for your comments:

1. We have totally 23 guests checked in on Dec. 7. Which is normal for us since we usally have lots of guests check out before 2:00PM and don't have too many guests check in. That's why that we only have one front desk staff on duty around 6:30PM. I reviewed the security camara tape with the front desk staff who checked you in, we found that there are two customers before you waiting to checked in. It is totally unexpected for us. 3 of 23 guests showed up in the same time to check in. I can see my front desk staff tried her best to expedite the processes. it took her totally 18 minutes to check in the two guests before you and youself. On my own opinion, she did not do a bad job.

2.) Our maintenance log shows that Room #121 was deep cleaned on Oct. 31. We have a maintenance program to clean every room's carpet on every three months. The carpet should not be a such dirty condition. after my maintainance staff and I checked the Room #121 again, we believe that the rain recently make the carpet more dirtier. We are on the process to clean the carpet on the entire first floor, since the first floor condition is worse.

3.) We are on the process to replace all shower head with an extension.

4.) I am the new owner over this property. I am not sure how to get the "Maingate" name on our property. One thing I know for sure that this name have been with our property during several different ownerships already. There are several different franchise hotels using "Maingate" name but none is really close to Disneyland.

5.) I don't know why the hot tub is "ice cold". We did have the problem on our hot tub heater on the late November. During that time we have no choice and have to close our hot tub. However, we did replace a brand new spa heater for hot tub on December 2. After that date, the hot tub is running great and I do not aware any more problem. I wish we have an opportunity to check this problem. I can call the pool guy back to check this a few days old heater.

Anyway, I am sincerely appreciate your comments. It help me to point out some defects I did not recognize and help us to become a better place to have a better service.
Wailuku, Maui, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2008

My son and I go to Disney every year, and usually stay at one of the walking distance hotels (Ramada, HoJo, Park Vue) - This year, with the economy being what it is, we went a little more budget (ie, further from Disney) and ended up with the Comfort Inn Maingate.

First off, I think it is fair to say that the "Maingate" portion of the name is a bit of a stretch. It's about a mile walk to the main Disney entrance (20 minutes-ish), but at least it is on the same side of Harbor (no busy streets to cross) After walking there and back the first day, we decided to pick up bus passes, conveniently available at the front desk (about 20 bucks for 5 days usage) The ART bus was super convenient, with the stop being right next door to the hotel, and the buses run about every 20 minutes, so we never had to wait long. Definitely take the bus !

The room itself was a lot of space for the money (we got a kid's suite, which had a separate room with bunk beds for under $100 a night) You could tell it was recently remodeled, the carpet was clean, the furniture was modern, the sinks and tub were clean and new-looking. The one complaint i have about the room is the height of the shower head - at 6'3", I found myself kneeling down in the tub to really get wet, and even my son, at about 5'2" was saying it was too low.

The service - as everyone else has mentioned, the staff here at the hotel is excellent - room service was quick and efficient, the front desk had our room check in processed before we even arrived, and check out was fast and easy - the deluxe breakfast (make your own belgian waffles!) was a great way to start out the day and save some money, but the room was always super crowded, and only once did we wait in the long line for the waffles (management - consider a second waffle iron!!) We took our breakfast back to the room each day, since there was nowhere to sit.

One problem we did have was the pool/hot tub. after spending hours walking around at Disney, we were really looking forward to getting in the hot tub to ease the aches, but unfortunately, it was more of a 'cold tub' the pool, while not especially warm, was actually warmer than the jacuzzi!! The last day we were there, we did see some maintenance staff working in the pool area, so maybe they were taking care of it, but during our stay, this was a disappointment.

Overall, a pleasant experience, and when factoring in the staff, room size, the better than most breakfast, and access to transportation, I can definitely say we got more than we paid for!

• Liked — room size for the money and great staff
  • Disliked — Broken jacuzzi, distance to Disney
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
WayneJiang, Owner at Stanford Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 29, 2008
First all, it is great to know that you like our place and our service. I will pass your comment to mur staffs and have them continuously perform the way they did.

Secondly, thanks for your suggestions. We already furnished and installed the second waffle machine at our breakfast room to serve our guests better.

In additions, after I tried the shower head myself, I have to agree that the shower head can be higher. I already placed a order to purchase the shower head extension and going to replace it throughout this property.

My goal is let all the guests feel that they got a great value deal to stay with us, even our property is a little farther than other hotels. We will continuously work on to earn our reputation.