“Great low cost accommodation”
Review of Hotel Menage

Hotel Menage
Ranked #63 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had 6 nights here from 15 October 2012. The hotel is a 10 min walk away from Disneyland. There is also a shuttle which comes every 20 minutes. The room was newly renovated and was spacious, clean and comfortable. We were on the 5th floor and faced the freeway so if traffic noise affects you make sure you ask for a room away from the freeway. We were all so tired after our busy days out that this wasn't an issue in order for us to sleep. Nice Pool and spa area great and pool is open 24/7 so a late night swim is ok. Restaurant was reasonably priced and served great hamburgers. Staff were fantastic. Nothing was too much to ask. Concierge were friendly and very approachable with great advice to offer on all our questions. The doormen were also very friendly and upbeat, always smiling and ready to lend a hand. My only criticism is the lighting in the lobby, restaurant area is way too low, almost dark in fact. We needed a torch to read the restaurant menu.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,073)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at Menage several times and have previously thought it was good. I even gave it a good review before. There were several problems this time and I will look for another hotel the next time I go to Anaheim. The receptionist wasn't very friendly when we checked in. I felt like we were bothering her or something. She went through things very fast and I really didn't catch what she was saying. I thought she mentioned the restaurant was available. We have always eaten there...but it was closed. She didn't mention the special pricing on the room service...I probably would have used it since it is kind of hard to find a good place to eat outside of the park without walking to it. The room had no refrigerator. The elevators were not working properly. At one point, they were both down...and we were on the 5th floor. You had to pay for the shuttle....and this was not explained beforehand. These may not seem like big things...but after driving for 10 hours to get here and spending the day in the park...these little things are kind of big.

1  Thank needavacation02
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Menage, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that your most recent experience was less than satisfactory. Your comments regarding the receptionist have been heard, and we have taken action to improve guest service at the front desk.
It's true that not all our guest rooms have a mini-fridge, however, they are available on request at no charge. We encourage our guests to let us know if they need anything to help make their stay more comfortable; most requests can easily be accommodated.
The ART shuttle is not owned or operated by our hotel (Anaheim Resort Transit - www.rideart.org), however, they maintain at stop at our front door. The cost is nominal, and includes all day on/off privileges. We are also 15 minutes walking distance to the front gates of Disneyland if you prefer to save money on transportation or parking at the Park.
Thank you again for your candid comments. We are so sorry to have lost you and your family as guests and wish you luck and happier travels in the future.
Charlotte, Guest Services
Hotel Menage

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Very trendy hotel. Staff is very nice. Rooms were always cleaned on time. Breakfast buffet was nice. Very pretty hotel grounds. Front row seats to firework show. Free wi-fi. I'd stay again. Flat screen TV and huge beds. You do need to leave a $50 deposit per night during your stay but you get it back immediately upon check out--or at least I did. Cute outdoor bar that is family friendly.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have a few complaints about our stay at Menage from Oct. 14-19. We stayed there previously and had a good experience, but this time around there were many things wrong, and when we addressed our concerns, the manager on duty was not helpful or sympathetic. We will NOT be returning.

First, when we arrived at 6:30 pm and went up to our room, there was someone in there, a maid, telling us the shower didn't work. We would expect that with a check in time that late, everything would be in order, but it was not. Second, we were disappointed the restaurant K'ya was not available. We had enjoyed this aspect of the hotel during our previous stay and it was a main reason we chose to stay there again. Nothing on the website or otherwise indicated it would be closed.

Third, our telephone did not work one evening while I called to get a wakeup call. There was no dial tone. I had to call the front desk from my cell phone to get the wakeup call and have them come the next day to fix the phone.

Fourth, the pool was incredibly cold.

Fifth, the elevators were so hot! Everyone I rode with commented on that.

Sixth, the loud music by the pool till late at night was not accommodating to families or to sleeping. One guest I met in the elevator said he was looking for a different hotel because of this.

Seventh, and the most alarming, was the manager on duty the night of Monday, October 15. We bought ART transit passes that morning, a no one told us what line to take. We got on the bus that morning, noticing two of the tickets said Route 18. We took that to mean this was the bus we should take back from the park. We waited for a long time to find bus 18, then it took us not to the hotel, but north on Harbor Blvd. We asked the driver where it goes and he said to Buena Park. We immediately got off and called the hotel for information. The manager was not helpful, she said route 18 is not correct, did not know why it said route 18 on our tickets, that we needed #10 or #11, etc. We walked over a mile down Harbor Blvd with our two tired young children after being at the park all day. The reason we bought the ART passes was so we would not have to walk.

When we got back to the hotel, my husband went to the front desk and asked for the manger. He showed her the tickets which had Route 18 printed on them, and she said we took the wrong bus, that it was 10 or 11 that we needed. She was incredibly unsympathetic and not helpful. In fact. she said she found nothing wrong with the information Menage gave us and that they were not at fault. The least she could have done was offer to refund our money or give us passes for the next day. My husband left angrily, disappointed at the lack of customer service.

Needless to say, we will not be giving Hotel Menage our business in the future. There are many other hotels to choose from--ones that offer breakfast, ones that have a free shuttle to the park, ones that care about their clients.

4  Thank Kristin H
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Menage, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Kristin H,

I am so sorry to hear what a frustrating week you had with us, especially considering you had chosen to re-book after a previously pleasant stay.

I would like to personally apologize for the miscommunication between our housekeeping and front desk staff in allowing you and your family to check into a room which was under maintenance. As you probably understand, things can occasionally break down or go wrong in any space that gets used and abused as much as a hotel room does, however, you are absolutely right; you should not have been given keys to a guest room under maintenance. This has been discussed with the appropriate departments and I assure you we will not let this happen again.

Even though our K'ya Street-fare dining room was closed for remodeling, we still offered our full menu and dining options in our lobby seating area (just outside the dining room). Our kitchen was open for business as usual. It was only the dining room which was closed for renovation, and has since been completed and re-opened as the new American Tavern.

My apologies for the chilly pool... we must occasionally empty the pool for deep cleaning and refill it. It takes a short time to get back to temperature, but I'm sure all our guests appreciate a clean and sanitary pool when they stay with us. Also, I regret that the elevators can get uncomfortable on a hot day; luckily no one has to spend a substantial amount of time in them, as they do not have air conditioning.

The music we play around the pool area is typically turned down between 9:30 and 10pm. As with most hotels, we consider it very important to maintain a "Quiet Time" between the hours of 10pm until 8am. I'm so sorry if the music was loud later than 10pm!

Regarding the misunderstanding with the city's ART Shuttle, they have been promoting their new line, #18, on the tickets they sell, and I can see how this may have been confusing. What I can't figure out is how you ended up finding the bus #18, as this line does not pick up or drop off at Disneyland. The only lines that pick up at Hotel Menage are #10 and #11, and the bus number is clearly posted on each bus. The hotel is not responsible for any guest who gets on the wrong shuttle when leaving the park. The shuttle drivers are very knowledgeable about their stops and the Anaheim area, and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have upon boarding or riding the shuttle. There are also route maps that clearly define the shuttle stops according to bus number at every major shuttle stop around the Disneyland area. I believe our Manager on Duty acted according to hotel policy. We do not refund guests for the ART shuttle when they mistakenly board the wrong bus. I do apologize if she seemed unsympathetic to your situation - I can imagine how angry you must have been to find out the bus you were on was headed in the opposite direction of Hotel Menage, and the frustration you experienced in walking over a mile with a couple of tired, young children after a day in the park! This is definitely not the way any parent wants to conclude their day at Disneyland with their children.

We appreciate your candid comments. I feel terrible that you and your family had a bad experience at Hotel Menage, and we are truly sorry to lose your future business.

Warm Regards, Charlotte - Guest Services, Hotel Menage

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. However, the biggest disappointment was no fridge and second the ICE COLD pool! It was quite warm outside, 90+ when we stayed but the furthest we could venture into the pool was up to our knees. The interesting visitors to the pool were enough that I did not want my kids to stay at the pool for very long. The gate to the parking lot is open to the pool area anyone can wander in.
As everyone has said the bed frames are evil and my entire family took out their shins at least once if not more during our trip.
We got a great deal on this hotel but would not pay above $90/night here we did not. It is enough of a distance from Disneyland that we will not stay here again even for a good deal. With young kids we like to leave the park and relax for a couple hours staying here made it difficult to do this. You can walk the 15minutes back and forth or take the ART (there are 2 that stop here) which takes about the same time. We will not be staying again we like a place closer to Disney, has a fridge, and a breakfast.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here the quieter side (still can hear some traffic) is room door facing Harbor...
1  Thank KfamUT

Dear KfamUt,
Thank you for posting your review of Hotel Menage. I'm glad to hear that you and your family found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I would like to let you know that we do offer refrigerators in our rooms on a request basis.
Our pool was unfortunately a little chilly during your stay; we had just had it emptied, deep cleaned and refilled, and it does take a short time for the water to warm back up again. I apologize that it was uncomfortable, but we want our pool to be clean and sanitary for all our guests and this was just routine maintenance.
I'm so sorry about the hurt shins from the platform beds... we are currently working on a solution to the hard edges, and they should be improved soon.
Your feedback and comments are appreciated. We wish you happy travels.

Warm Regards, Charlotte - Guest Services

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights here. She needed a refrigerator for her insulin and when had one in less than three minutes after calling the desk. Tony was a professional at the desk and Lance was a concerned and accomidating front desk person. This is why my wife and I stay year after year here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and daughter stayed at this hotel while visiting Disneyland. I stayed home with our son. I called and spoke to Jessica. I asked Jessica if she can arrange for balloons and champagne to be delivered to my wife's room for her birthday. Jessica said she would be happy to arrange and that it "is on the house". Wow! Very impressed...as was my wife when she received the nice birthday balloons and champagne the next day.

Thank you Jessica!

Ryan F.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Menage, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Thank you for choosing Hotel Menage during your wife's birthday weekend at Disneyland. It was our pleasure to assist you in helping your wife have a great time in your absence. I have forwarded your appreciation to Jessica; thank you for the call-out!
Your review on TripAdvisor is very much appreciated!

Warm Regards,