“Excellent Option”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Disneyland
Description: Classic children's books come to life at this inviting restaurant at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa that celebrates the age-old tradition of storytelling. Storytellers Café features a daily Character Breakfast hosted by Chip 'n Dale. The lunch menu offers a variety of salads, soups and sandwiches. For dinner, select from buffet selections or order menu specialties from fresh pastas to juicy steaks.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We really enjoyed a great early lunch here. The cheddar soup was amazing and we felt we got a great meal for the price we paid. Service was exactly what Disney service is supposed to be.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,094)

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Usually I won't eat at a buffet. But this one is a must, the Mickey waffles and made to order waffles are fabulous! It is little people friendly with Disney magic all around them. Specialty coffee too!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We were staying at the Grand Californian Hotel. Over $500 a night for standard room. The Storytellers Cafe is on site and look like a great place to continue the magical experience of Disneyland. We arrived towards the end of the lunch service.

I ordered a Turkey Club.
Chips were COLD on the plate. Toasted sandwich was COLD too.
Who serves a cold toasted sandwich in a cafe?

I ordered chicken nuggets for my son. They were like small rocks, Hard, cold and revolting.
We had to use effort to break them open and inside was dry overcooked chicken.
Who serves dry overcooked chicken to a toddler?

My wife's pasta was plain but not a disaster. What a change.

It wasted our time and detracted from our experience.
It made me angry that they could allow such an awful meal to be served at such a special place.

Let's hope they were having a bad day.
But seeing people save for years to go to Disneyland you want it to be great from start to end.
Is that too much to ask?

For the Storytellers Cafe is seems the answer is yes.

2  Thank matt_hetho
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My family did all five character meals (two premium and three regular). Food wise Storyteller’s Café, PCH Grill and Plaza Inn all have the same food. The only real difference is what characters may be there any given day.

The food was okay, but the characters are what made the meal. Do your research and pick which characters you want to see unless you plan to do all of the character meals. Plan on spending an hour to an hour and a half at each meal to meet all of the characters.

With that said Storyteller’s Café was a huge let down. There were only three characters, two of which we had no idea who they were until we asked. Also it is a buffet with one long line you have to stand in to get your food, unless you want to cut in and out of line. Plan on being in line for 10 to 15 minutes.

For Storyteller’s Café we saw:

Chip or Dale (sorry I can’t tell them apart)
Koda from Brother Bear
And Tug from Brother Bear, I think

1  Thank TheTickTockMan
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was part of a party of 26 people and this was out choice for dinner. Even though we had a scheduled dinner time we were seated about a half hour later, however, you must remember that it was Thanksgiving and people tend to sit and relax. Our waiter was amazing!! He attending to our every need and then some. Would I have another holiday meal there? Absolutely!!