“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #26 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

This hotel was very good. It had recently been renovated the owners could not do enough for the guests. Excellent standard of accomodatiod. It was inexpensive to stay here and after traveling along the west coast, was one of the best hotels we stayed in.

• Liked — The mexican decor was very nice.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank holidaylover64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Northern California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

I booked Hotel Pepper Tree due to its overwhelmingly positive TripAdvisor reviews and its proximity to Disneyland (about 15 minutes driving distance). I was not disappointed, but I wasn't impressed either!

My first indication of its mediocrity was its service. When my parents arrived at the hotel, they found out our refrigerator was broken. We took our issue to the front desk and two employees came to our room to check it out. One of the men, whose name I think is Rick, implied that my folks were the ones who had broken it! Considering the fact that we had only been there for a few hours, and had not adjusted the temperature knobs at all, I think that accusation was a little unfair. He also implied that our refigerator was in good working condition and that we were only imagining the problem...so, why after a few hours in the fridge, was our perishable food still lukewarm?

Eugene, however, was helpful. He explained the problem to my parents in Chinese and offered us options. A full day later, the refrigerator was formally inspected and swapped for another. I'm not normally picky about service, but after staying at a fabulous low-budget San Diego hotel with awesome service and reading reviews on Pepper Tree, I had high expectations!

Other negatives: The shower temperature takes FOREVER to get right. It goes from hot to cold and vice versa in a matter of seconds and requires a bit of work to stay at a particular temperature. The futon bed is very difficult to set up. The room furniture looks and feels a little old. We continually spotted flies throughout our suite. The continental breakfast is VERY light...mainly donuts and toast.

Positives: The morning staff was much more helpful. They gave us directions all over L.A. Special thanks to the smart, perky blonde with glasses at the front desk! Thanks for making our trip that much easier.

The suite was INCREDIBLY spacious. We had two huge rooms, a kitchen, and a patio...plenty of space to relax. The hotel is a good place for travelers to regain their strength after a full day of activities and sights. On the other hand, if you're not planning on spending too much time in your room, why spend money on space you're not going to use?

Also, conveniently located near a shopping center with a laundromat and grocery store. ALSO, its executive suites are pretty freakin' cheap considering that they can sleep up to six people.

Hope this helps.

• Liked — Spaciousness
2 Thank petalsbloom
Bellingham, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

Upon entering Hotel Pepper Tree we were appaled at the location. The area of the town was low class and I would not go out after 8 pm. We were welcomed and put in a room that had a strong smell of gas. We called front desk and after a little bit of arguing we recieved another room. They later called back and apologized for the inconvinience and said that they were lucky we found the smell because the oven had been left on! As we tryed going to sleep we were appaled that they left the hallway music blaring all throughout the night. The next morning I complained and it was shut off for only one of the 5 nights we stayed there. The next day after a long trip to disneyland we came home to an uncleaned room. After I called, they told me "to keep our rates low we only clean our rooms once a week." This was simply absurd and I went on to tell them no one had mentioned this when we had reserved the room. The concierge lady told me to keep my voice low and that I seemed upset ...this came to me as a shock because instead of apologizing for the inconvience she was critizing my temperment! At aproximately 3 o clock in the morning a letter was slippe under our door apologizing for not cleaning our room. Not to mention we had been left without toilet tissue or towels for the next day! The only plus to this hotel was that the beds were comfy and there was a fridge. Also the morning concierge person was quite nice unlike the lady at night!

• Liked — Kitchen was helpfull
  • Disliked — Rude night staff and unclean rooms
Crawley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

We have just return from a 14 night stay in California and we stayed at the Pepper Tree. The hotel and rooms all have a mexican feel and it makes a great atmosphere. The rooms were very large, we had two queen size beds, nice balcony over looking the pool, kitchen with a large fridge which can come in handy if you are travelling with kids, microwave,toaster,oven etc, plenty of wardrobe space and tv.
The staff there are lovely,( Manny especially), they were always very helpful printing us off maps/directions of where we wanted to go, giving us local info and always smiling.
Room service was amazing, and as per some other reviews which we read before visiting the Pepper Tree there were no quirks and we are quite capable of doing our own washing up!!!
This hotel is close to Disney- about 10 mins in the car. We used this hotel as a base to travel all over and it worked for us.
We travelled as a family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 6 and I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Big rooms, kitchen, the most helpful staff
  • Disliked — we had no dislikes
2 Thank PKC2006
Havasu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

We needed a hotel for our trip to Disneyland. I wanted to have some spending money for souvenirs, ect.
We decided to stay at Hotel Pepper Tree because of the room price and not too bad reviews. My husband and I were impressed with the ample room and nice decor. The rooms were clean and the service we recieved was above average. The free continental breakfast served at the Azteca restaurant was very good. Fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, muffins, toast, donuts, danishes, coffee, tea, milk, apple and orange juice. (A nice variety of free foods) My husband and I had the breakfast special which was offered for $3.99. (pancakes, 2eggs, 2sausage and 2 bacon strips). The Ralphs supermarket across the street is very convienent to stock the fridge.
Finding our way to Disneyland was very easy and quick. Good luck in finding a better deal! We will stay at Hotel Pepper Tree again.

4 Thank Applebit
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed here 2 nights while visiting Disney. We really wished we had arrived a night sooner ! I think the website shows the hotel very fairly.....infact, I expected a smaller space for the 2 room suite. We were thrilled with the size !!! The kids could have the room with the kitchen....we just took the coffee pot to our side for the morning ! Lovely balcony with flowering vines. Very short, easy drive to Disneyland. We were in Californina for 10 days, our last 2 nights were spent here, The PepperTree was our best value and most comfortable stay !
Thank you !

3 Thank vindemure
Springfield, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2007

This is a great place to stay for families with children. It's not the fanciest, nor the most luxurious, but it is clean and it sure has a lot of room.

I have a family of 5, and my wife demanded that we stay in a suite where the children could have their own room for our CA vacation. That cuts down dramatically on selection and good deals available. That said, I really felt like this one was worth the effort of my searching.

When we first arrived, we were so amazed at how much room there was that we thought they had made a mistake by giving us two rooms. Actually, the suite is made up of two adjoining hotel rooms, each with their own bathroom, kitchen, tv, etc. Our room had a comfortable king bed, and the kid's room had a twin with a futon (kid's room sleeps 3 total if you fold out the futon).

The hotel has a Mexican theme, as do many in this area. The neighborhood is nice enough (we hate staying in scary neighborhoods) with a Ralph's grocery story across the road. It is located within 10 minutes of Disney, and we were able to get there pretty efficiently even during rush hour (use the carpool lane!!!).

The rooms were clean, though not fancy, and as I mentioned earlier, very large. You almost feel like you are staying in an apartment.

The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast at the property restaurant, and it is a nice one. We ate there each morning. They offer a nice variety of fruit, cereal, yogurt, big muffins, donuts, toast, and the like. It's nice because you can actually go sit down in the restaurant to eat it as opposed to most complimentary breakfasts being held in a lobby area. If you want, you can order a discounted breakfast from the complimentary breakfast side as well. We also ate at the restaurant the first night of our arrival, and we had good service and food (Mexican theme).

There were a few cons to the hotel, so I thought to list them:
1. Quirky Stuff. Showers go hot and cold (I hate that).
2. No clocks, but who needs them with our modern age of cell phones, laptops, etc.
3. Futon was quirky and difficult to unfold. I had to ask the front desk for help. He and I worked on it together, and after a call to his manager, we were able to figure it out.
4. There are two showers (one for each room), and the kid's shower was spitting water out the side. We arrived late, so we just couldn't use it the first night. Maintenance came up and fixed it the next day.
5. Internet WiFi is consistent (you have to get a username and password from the front desk), but often slow because of poor reception. Sometimes I got great reception, then sometimes very low, and I never did figure out why.
6. Housekeeping did a great job each day, but they don't do your dishes for you. It took us a few days to figure out there was dish washing soap under the kid's kitchen sink, but no sponge or other obvious washing rag. What's with that?

The good news about all the cons was that the hotel staff were great, friendly, and always went to bat for me with any problems. They even printed out my Southwest Airline boarding passes for me using their front desk computer (they have a public computer in the lobby, but you can't print from it.)

All in all, would we stay here again if we came to Anaheim??? The wife says yes.

• Liked — Space, space, space and lots of it. 2 full kitchens in 2 full rooms with 2 tvs. Good service.
  • Disliked — Quirkiness of some stuff.
4 Thank bcdavis