“Best Italian Food Ever!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Luigi's D'Italia
Ranked #151 of 858 Restaurants in Anaheim
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Orange County, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Italian Food Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I LOVE Luigi's! I have been going there since 1985 and it has come to be "home cooking" to me and my family. I am so sad to see that there are any bad reviews about Luigi's, but I'm sure any restaurant can have an "off night" or a dish that they could scrap. Having gone there for so many years, I have tried many of their amazing dishes, but definitely have a few favorites that I tend to lean towards when I am there.
1. Pizza- seriously, the best thin crust pizza I've ever had. You can't go wrong with any of their pizzas. My personal favorite toppings: salami and black olives- mmmm!
2. Insalata Alla Caprese- better than the usual Caprese because of the delicious marinated eggplant that accompanies the tomatoes, Mozzarella, basil and oil/vinegar .
2. D'Angelo- anything D'Angelo is my favorite. I usually order the Vermicelli D'Angelo with chicken, but the tortellini D'Angelo is AMAZING, so good in fact, it was the main dish served at my wedding and after almost 5 years of being married, I STILL have people tell me how yummy the food was that day. I'm sure anything would be great with the D'Angelo sauce.
3. Pollo Marconi- Mmmm mmmm mmm mm m! Just try it, you won't be disappointed you did. Forget ordering your usual Chicken Parmigiano- you can get that anywhere, but Pollo Marconi is a Luigi's classic! Breaded chicken is layered with slices of ham, Provolone cheese, eggplant, and tomatoes and then smothered in a tomato cream demiglaze sauce and baked to perfection. You will love it!
4. Cannoli- I NEVER order cannoli ANYWHERE else. Cannoli has been my favorite dessert since I was a kid BECAUSE of the Luigi's cannoli. Instead of a birthday cake for my 13th birthday, I asked for a cannoli. All my friends were confused when the ricotta cheese filled shell came with a birthday candle instead of the usual frosting cake But, my love for cannoli is monogamous for the Luigi's cannoli only. I used to try them everywhere. But over and over i was disappointed. I was even disappointed in NYC's Little Italy and have since vowed to only order cannoli when I am at Luigi's. It's pure, it's simple, and it's delicious!
5. Rum Cake- if cannoli isn't your thing, than rum cake should be! As I got a little older, I learned of the wonderfully delicious rum cake, and you should too. Yellow cake layered with a creamy ricotta filling, a chocolate ricotta filling, and then lightly soaked in rum and topped with whipped cream. Yes!
If you try any of the above, I'm sure you will be be more than happy and writing your own excellent review for Luigi's soon thereafter. Enjoy, and say hi to Luigi for me!

• Visited July 2013

Anaheim, California
“Better than expected.... Sort of...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Let me say first of all that the food was good.
Now for the 3 stars instead of 4.. My wife and I decided to try Luigi's again after a couple of years (and Gordon Ramsey's visit on Restaurant Impossible) to see if the food was better than it was the last time. It HAD to be, because the last time it would have rated a 2 or maybe even a single star.
The pluses: The food was MUCH better than last time. The service was prompt and friendly. Maybe TOO prompt (more on that later) The pre-meal bread was very tasty indeed. The salad was basic, but the creamy Italian that came with was very good.
My wife had the Veal Marsala which was very good... except... that the Veal was very rubbery and required quite an effort to cut through. The good thing that happened next was a pleasant surprise. The owner saw my wife struggling a bit with her meal and intervened. He said that it hadn't been made right and immediately offered to "make it myself" and bring her a new plate, which he did. The second plate was just as tasty, but the veal, although not as tough, was still a bit on the chewy side. Yummy but chewy. Not quite sure if that is what we were looking in veal.
Now to my meal and the a bit too enthusiastic service. I had the Fettuccini de la Casa. Well, that's what I had ordered anyway. When my meal came I was surprised to see that Fettuccini apparently meant lasagna. My meal had been brought by the owner's wife (with not a word said) and not our original server. When our server did appear, I mentioned that I had ordered Fettuccini. With an "I'll be right back" he promptly had my correct order for me. My meal was very good indeed. Piping hot (even with the delay) and perfectly al dente pasta.
Overall, I would not call this a disappointing experience, I just feel that they need to tighten up the ship a bit to be back the Luigi's I remember when I was younger.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ben C
Salt Lake City
“Love this restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been going to Luigi's for at least the last 20 years. We live out of state and visit it on every trip to Anaheim. The food is delicious and reasonably priced. I am very glad that they brought back the original menu. It is a great place to go if you are visiting Disneyland and are looking for great Italian food just about 10 minute drive from the park.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

This restaurant made the best Italian food I've had in ages. Delicious *real* Italian food. My mom had the cannelloni, which was good. I had shells stuffed with spinach, artichokes and ricotta in marinara sauce. SOOOO GOOD! My uncle ordered off-menu, asking for a Carbonara, which they obliged without problem, and he said it was the best he'd had in years. Kids had spaghetti and meatballs, which they enjoy from anywhere, so can't really ask for much of review from them ;)

Visited April 2013
2 Thank KristinaMumof3
The O.C.
“The linguini imperiali and the deep fried calimari are great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

The bread-wonderful.
Linguini imperiali with shrimp-wonderful.
Deep fried calamari-best I've ever tasted.
Some of the other linguini-seafood dishes didn't have quite enough seafood, but the 3 things I picked, if you stay with them, you'll do ok. Very casual, very friendly, family-owned & we've been coming there since 1979.

Visited August 2012