“Poorly Managed”

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 893 Restaurants in Anaheim
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had a reservation for my husband's birthday this past Saturday evening. The reservation was made several weeks in advance with a request to be inside and upstairs. When checked in 5 minutes early, the hostess said that it would be about 20 minutes before she could honor our request. Again, she mentioned inside and upstairs.She gave us a pager and we waited, willing to do so to have our request honored, so we thought. Within 10 minutes our pager went off and we were taken inside, downstairs, right next to the stage. I told the hostess that this is not what I wanted, she gave some a lame excuse and still tried to seat us there. My husband, knowing I had been planning this for quite some time and saw the disappointment in my face, went and spoke to a manager. He told him that the seating arrangement wouldn't do. We had several us in our party and I had told everyone how much they would love the Jazz Kitchen and at this point I was a little frustrated. We were ushered out to wait 10 minutes more for the table we wanted. Again frustrating, but I thought things would get better. I was hoping the Jazz Kitchen would redeem itself. We had a nice waitress. She worked hard getting out drinks/waters on the table. She took our orders and the night went completely down hill from there. Our food took quite a while to get to us. When it did, it was not warm. She took it back and had it replated. Now usually in finer dining establishments, managers will come by when there is a problem. I saw no managers that night and if they were there, they did a poor job. Not only did our food come to our table cold, when we asked for sugar from our very overworked waitress and she forgot, she had no help that night I guess, so I got up to ask for some myself. Some young kid went into the kitchen and brought me back a small bowl of sugar. I wanted a few packets for our coffee, not make a cake. Anyway, while I waited outside the kitchen for the sugar I could see in the kitchen and saw a man with longer black hair with no hair net or hat. He could at least have it pulled back, yuck! Our food was not that good. If you are going to charge fine dining prices you need to have fine dining quality food. Our bill came to over $350. I don't think I can blame our server. I think she was overworked, she needed help. Nobody was supervising the needs of the staff or patrons. Ultimately this is a management issue or a lack of there of. I was embarrassed that our family member forked out so much money for this utter disappointment. We will not be back. This use to be a favorite place of ours, not anymore.

3  Thank JMNap
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We visited on a very cold day for lunch and so waited for an indoor table, to the side of the open square courtyard at the heart of the restaurant. The decoration and themeing of the restaurant is N'Orleans and mardi-gras with beads, balloons, lanterns and joker faces. The food was really tasty, the service was friendly and fast. I enjoyed the steak Po'boy and my husband had the jambalaya. Both were hearty, well spiced and generous. Would happily return here when next in LA.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We ate here on a whim and were not disappointed. The service was good and the food was excellent. Save room for dessert for sure. You may even want to share an entree because the portions are huge. The music was good and our 4 year old had a great time.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We ate here after reading wonderful things about this restaurant online. First off, service wasn't the best. The hostesses seemed confused. We asked to sit indoors as it was a hot day outside. After we were seated, we watched the hostess bring several other parties into the restaurant, all sitting nearby us. We sat and watched as servers greeted each of these tables but no one came to greet us. Eventually, the hostess seated a 10-person party just adjacent to us. The server was over immediately. The server took all of their drink orders, went and got their beverages, delivered their beverages and then made the 1/4 pivot turn required to greet us and get our drink orders. By this time, we'd been here about 25 minutes just waiting and being ignored. Make no mistake, we had our heads up, smiling faces and attempting to make eye contact with servers as they walked by, because we were hungry and hoping someone would finally notice us. This is what leads me to believe someone intentionally ignored us or felt we should wait. I have worked in restaurants and understand these things happen, but there really was no excuse, and there was no way our server didn't notice us sitting right next to her other table of 10. Even if she didn't know exactly how long we had been there, she should have at least taken our drink order at the same time she took the drink order for the large group. Anyway, by the time she finally arrived, I was pretty offended and annoyed, so we opted to move out to the patio (simply to get a new server without directly offending her). Our server on the patio was very prompt and much better, but at this point, it wasn't enough. The food was just okay. The fried dishes are really deep fried and very heavy. The shrimp salad I ordered was plain and uninspired. After the poor service experience, and based on the menu at this restaurant (which is maybe more geared towards people who eat lots of meat and fried food), we won't be back. There are plenty of places in downtown Disney where servers always attend to you with a smile and where the food is fresh and nutritious.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have had beignets in New Orleans several times and these are the closest you will find outside of Louisiana. Open early so can stop here before going into the parks. Decent value, especially for downtown disney. Eat them immediately while warm and shake the bag to mix up the powdered sugar.