“I've had better service (& meals) at McDonalds!”
Review of Blue Bayou

Blue Bayou
Ranked #30 of 902 Restaurants in Anaheim
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Disneyland
Reviewed December 28, 2005

Ate at the Blue Bayou Nov. 30, 2005 for lunch for the first and final time. I'd made priority seating reservations several weeks ahead of our trip with the hopes of getting a waterside table. Told over the phone to show up early to request waterside that day. We arrived at 11:00 (our seating was for 11:40) and the restaurant opened at 11:30. The hostess advised it would be an additional hour for waterside, so we opted not to wait. We were just in the next row from the water's edge, although as it's extremely dark inside you can't really enjoy much of the ambiance anyway. Two in our party have sensitive eyes and normally appreciate low lighting, but even they thought it was too dark. They really need to implement a better system for seating. The hostess advised we could wait in the lobby (filled with others waiting) or courtyard and they'd call us when they were ready. Evidently they called our name and we got bypassed. Finally when I checked to see when we'd be seated, she treated my like it was my fault for not hearing our name. I pointed out I was standing where I was advised. She said, "we don't have an intercom, we just call out the name." Funny we never heard one name while we were waiting. For a restaurant as busy as the Blue Bayou one would think they'd implement a paging system similar to Outback, Cheesecake Factory, ESPN zone, it's way more efficient. There was also some confusion on their part regarding the number in our party (we were missing a chair and a place setting), not sure if she was confused as we'd requested a high chair, but I didn't really think it was my problem to figure out. The server (I think his name was Rich) asked me if the hostess had left something on the table (maybe a card with the number in the party or something, I can't remember exactly what he was looking for) and I replied I didn't know. I'm thinking is that my responsibility? How hard is it to add an extra chair and place setting? It took about 5 minutes to get that straight and I felt like he thought we were trying to pull a fast one on them by adding to our party?!? Maybe Rich is the same server the previous poster had as he was sweating profusely, very unappetizing to have him lean over our table, food, drinks, etc. Since the restaurant had just opened, I'd hate to see him two hours into his shift. We had chicken ceasar salads, Monte Cristo, kids chicken nuggets, etc. the phone was just very average, as was the whole experience. I was very glad we'd opted to do lunch as I would have been furious if our bill would have been priced at the dinner rates. All I can say is, we've eaten here once, we'll never do it again, I'd eat at Redd Rockets any day over the Blue Bayou! Save your money, the ambiance isn't worth it, go on Pirates and the glimpse of the restaurant is more than enough. Very disappointing experience!

5  Thank TCLS Mom
Write a ReviewReviews (2,951)

Reviewed October 5, 2005

My husband, six year old daughter and I visited here in March of 2005.

I gave this restaurant 2 stars just for the ambience of the place. Everything else about this restaurant was awful.
I called ahead a week before to make reservations for a table by the water. Got there, only waited thirty minutes. Saw people getting turned away constantly because they didn't have any reservations.
Thought to myself "wow this place must be AWESOME if so many people want to eat here" Boy was I wrong!

Once we got seated and closed our mouths (the scenery is amazing) we waited 15 minutes to get greeted by a guy who was sweating profusly. He walked up to us and asked "What can I get you to drink?". No hi how are you, my name is so and so. Nope just wanted to rush us out of there.
We gave him our drink order and he left. Another 15 minutes later we get our sodas and try to order. He ran off again. We tried flagging him down after another 10 minutes but he looked like he was in the weeds...bad. (Server talk for very busy, swamped). Soo..after another 15 minutes we give him our order. I had to call him back because he forgot to take my six year old's order.

Ok for the food: When we finally got our bread (which we had to ask for) it was so tough that I thought I was going to break my teeth on it!! The bread was cold and didn't taste good at all. When we got our food that was also cold. If I could have caught my server I would have asked him to go heat it up in the microwave or something. My husband had ordered the 32 dollar steak (yea I was going to strangle him after it came) and it was probably the worst steak we have ever had at a restaurant. It was cold, not cooked to his asking, and tasted like it could have been horse meat!
My food wasn't bad, but I only ate a few bites (and paid 22.50 for it) It was a chicken and pasta dish.
My daughter's food was ok, until she tried the applesauce. It had a very metallic taste to it. Reminded me of eating cafeteria applesauce when I was in grade school.

So...go for lunch, everybody should try this place out at least once, but don't expect anything special at all. Not with the service, or the food.
The pictures I took are from our table by the water, a little blurry, but you can get the idea.

3  Thank TxGrrl
Reviewed August 31, 2005

My husband and I went to Disneyland for our anniversary and had dinner at the Blue Bayou. We often have lunch there, but it was the first time for dinner. As a child, I remember riding on the Pirates of the Carribean and seeing the people eating at the beautiful lantern-lit restaurant and thinking "how can I eat there?" Lunch fare ranges from $12-20 an entree, dinner is $22-36 an entree.

1. Beautiful location, great for couples. Ambience is fantastic, and passengers on ride are not disruptive.
2. Great food, price is reasonable for lunch menu, especially considering that it is Disneyland.
3. Sodas have free refills (price $2.75), likely the only place in the park where that occurs! Servers very good about getting refills
4. Discount with Premium Annual Pass is 15%
5. Memorable Disneyland experience

1. Dinner menu is nearly identical to lunch menu, but includes soup or salad and is nearly twice the price for the same meal. Only a few special items are different.
2. Even with reservation may wait 20-30 minutes for a table
3. Servers are not always friendly. Don't expect to be checked on right after being seated, or after food is brought.
4. Seating by the main doors during the day lessens the experience with outside light and noise from waiting room

Reservations are a must. Many nights the restaurant is completely booked except for reservations, turning many people without reservations away. Calling Disney Dining is easy way to make reservation. Sitting by the water is definitely the best experience, but at night may be an extra 45 minute wait after reservation time. The food really is great and worth the price, refills are added bonus, and I feel that every Disney lover must experience the Blue Bayou at least once.

10  Thank CrestlineMD
Reviewed May 29, 2005

I've eaten at Blue Bayou many times, most recently this past March. A couple of things to be aware of. Don't let the hostess seat you near the kitchen or in the back of the restaurant near the entry or the bathrooms. Too much foot traffic in those locations. This is a theme restaurant, and you definitely want a good location on or near the water in the center of the dining room. If you have to wait to get one, so be it. It's worth the wait. Make it clear to the hostess up front exactly where you want to be though. Otherwise you may well be shown to a couple of unacceptable tables first.

Second, go toward the end of lunchtime when its less crowded and the prices are still lower. Dinner is way overpriced. The crab cakes or monte cristo sandwich on the lunch menu are good, and while not exactly cheap, you won't feel like you are being totally ripped off. The mint julip is tasty, too.

Don't let the servers rush you. Sometimes I get the feeling there's a clock running on the table. Resist all efforts to be hurried.

It's best to call ahead to get a preferred seating time. Even so, you may have to wait, and the restaurant for some inexplicable reason has removed most of the seats in the waiting area forcing people to stand or be crammed together on the small bench seat that's still in place. It really is shameful that they don't treat their customers better by providing a comfortable place to wait.

Still, it is a unique Disneyland dining experience, and better than most places to eat in the park.

6  Thank tkttoride
Reviewed April 2, 2005

My mom and I ate dinner at the Blue Bayou on December 19, 2004. It was expensive, but SO WORTH IT!!! If you love seafood, have the grilled salmon steak. The service was excellent and the staff was really nice. I'm going to Disneyland again this July for the 50th and plan on eating again at that restaurant.

2  Thank Teresa H