“Very Disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Bayou

Blue Bayou
Ranked #8 of 860 Restaurants in Anaheim
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Disneyland
The Woodlands, Texas
“Very Disappointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

My husband, six year old daughter and I visited here in March of 2005.

I gave this restaurant 2 stars just for the ambience of the place. Everything else about this restaurant was awful.
I called ahead a week before to make reservations for a table by the water. Got there, only waited thirty minutes. Saw people getting turned away constantly because they didn't have any reservations.
Thought to myself "wow this place must be AWESOME if so many people want to eat here" Boy was I wrong!

Once we got seated and closed our mouths (the scenery is amazing) we waited 15 minutes to get greeted by a guy who was sweating profusly. He walked up to us and asked "What can I get you to drink?". No hi how are you, my name is so and so. Nope just wanted to rush us out of there.
We gave him our drink order and he left. Another 15 minutes later we get our sodas and try to order. He ran off again. We tried flagging him down after another 10 minutes but he looked like he was in the weeds...bad. (Server talk for very busy, swamped). Soo..after another 15 minutes we give him our order. I had to call him back because he forgot to take my six year old's order.

Ok for the food: When we finally got our bread (which we had to ask for) it was so tough that I thought I was going to break my teeth on it!! The bread was cold and didn't taste good at all. When we got our food that was also cold. If I could have caught my server I would have asked him to go heat it up in the microwave or something. My husband had ordered the 32 dollar steak (yea I was going to strangle him after it came) and it was probably the worst steak we have ever had at a restaurant. It was cold, not cooked to his asking, and tasted like it could have been horse meat!
My food wasn't bad, but I only ate a few bites (and paid 22.50 for it) It was a chicken and pasta dish.
My daughter's food was ok, until she tried the applesauce. It had a very metallic taste to it. Reminded me of eating cafeteria applesauce when I was in grade school.

So...go for lunch, everybody should try this place out at least once, but don't expect anything special at all. Not with the service, or the food.
The pictures I took are from our table by the water, a little blurry, but you can get the idea.

3 Thank TxGrrl

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Crestline, California
“Classic Disney Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2005

My husband and I went to Disneyland for our anniversary and had dinner at the Blue Bayou. We often have lunch there, but it was the first time for dinner. As a child, I remember riding on the Pirates of the Carribean and seeing the people eating at the beautiful lantern-lit restaurant and thinking "how can I eat there?" Lunch fare ranges from $12-20 an entree, dinner is $22-36 an entree.

Pros:
1. Beautiful location, great for couples. Ambience is fantastic, and passengers on ride are not disruptive.
2. Great food, price is reasonable for lunch menu, especially considering that it is Disneyland.
3. Sodas have free refills (price $2.75), likely the only place in the park where that occurs! Servers very good about getting refills
4. Discount with Premium Annual Pass is 15%
5. Memorable Disneyland experience

Cons:
1. Dinner menu is nearly identical to lunch menu, but includes soup or salad and is nearly twice the price for the same meal. Only a few special items are different.
2. Even with reservation may wait 20-30 minutes for a table
3. Servers are not always friendly. Don't expect to be checked on right after being seated, or after food is brought.
4. Seating by the main doors during the day lessens the experience with outside light and noise from waiting room

Reservations are a must. Many nights the restaurant is completely booked except for reservations, turning many people without reservations away. Calling Disney Dining is easy way to make reservation. Sitting by the water is definitely the best experience, but at night may be an extra 45 minute wait after reservation time. The food really is great and worth the price, refills are added bonus, and I feel that every Disney lover must experience the Blue Bayou at least once.

10 Thank CrestlineMD
Oak Park, CA
“Nice atmosphere, but don't expect the royal treament”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2005

I've eaten at Blue Bayou many times, most recently this past March. A couple of things to be aware of. Don't let the hostess seat you near the kitchen or in the back of the restaurant near the entry or the bathrooms. Too much foot traffic in those locations. This is a theme restaurant, and you definitely want a good location on or near the water in the center of the dining room. If you have to wait to get one, so be it. It's worth the wait. Make it clear to the hostess up front exactly where you want to be though. Otherwise you may well be shown to a couple of unacceptable tables first.

Second, go toward the end of lunchtime when its less crowded and the prices are still lower. Dinner is way overpriced. The crab cakes or monte cristo sandwich on the lunch menu are good, and while not exactly cheap, you won't feel like you are being totally ripped off. The mint julip is tasty, too.

Don't let the servers rush you. Sometimes I get the feeling there's a clock running on the table. Resist all efforts to be hurried.

It's best to call ahead to get a preferred seating time. Even so, you may have to wait, and the restaurant for some inexplicable reason has removed most of the seats in the waiting area forcing people to stand or be crammed together on the small bench seat that's still in place. It really is shameful that they don't treat their customers better by providing a comfortable place to wait.

Still, it is a unique Disneyland dining experience, and better than most places to eat in the park.

6 Thank tkttoride
Nevada
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2005

My mom and I ate dinner at the Blue Bayou on December 19, 2004. It was expensive, but SO WORTH IT!!! If you love seafood, have the grilled salmon steak. The service was excellent and the staff was really nice. I'm going to Disneyland again this July for the 50th and plan on eating again at that restaurant.

2 Thank Teresa H
A TripAdvisor Member
“Food average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2004

Visited Blue Bayou on 19th July because my daughter loves the 'Pirates of the Carribean' film. Had made proirity reservation in advance for lunchtime. I would recommend going at lunchtime instead of evening as it is considerably cheaper. We were seated at the back of the restuarant which was not so good as sitting by the water, but to change tables we would have had to wait for 30 minutes. However, in hindsight, I think we would have enjoyed it more if we had waited for a table by the water. The ambiance is very good, but the food was average and expensive for a family of 4. The waitress service was very good.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member