“Surprisingly good!”

Ranked #27 of 882 Restaurants in Anaheim
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Had the good fortune of eating at the Carthay Circle restaurant recently and came away very impressed! First of all, the atmosphere is wonderful, perfectly mimicking the early century charm of Southern California and the famed Carthay Theater in particular. A warm lounge awaits guest on the ground floor, where small plates and cocktails can be had. We did have to wait 15+ minutes beyond the time of our reservation for our table, but it's such a nice atmosphere downstairs, we didn't think much of it.

Once seated, service was prompt and friendly. The menu offered excellent variety, and the wine/drink menu was surprisingly extensive. We began with a glass of wine (the Mrs.) and a martini (myself), which were both enjoyed thoroughly. We shared an appetizer, and it was actually the star of the evening - the firecracker duck wings. Duck is always a tad fattier than other meats, and this worked perfectly for the wings, which are lightly breaded and coated in a just-the-right-amount-of-heat sriracha-based sauce. My wife enjoyed the braised pork pot roast, and its sour cream mashed potatoes in particular. I ordered the Sierra golden trout, and it was a solid choice, though I would've enjoyed a bit more of the lemon chimichurri sauce they very lightly drizzled about the plate. We completed the meal with one of the restaurant's seasonal pie offerings, which was a delicious pear/persimmon version, with warm, folded over crust - very, very good.

Overall, we loved the experience at Carthay. The food was very good, and our enjoyment of it was certainly augmented by the wonderful ambiance. Whether for a full meal or even just a cocktail, we'd definitely recommend Carthay Circle.

Note: Disney offers "premier" viewing area access to World of Color if you purchase two entrees + two desserts OR appetizers. We were going to be ordering this anyway, so we gladly used the vouchers for World of Color, but to be honest the viewing area didn't seem noticeably better than many of the other areas you can get fast passes for. All this to say, if you're going to Carthay mainly for the WoC vouchers, I'd suggest saving the cash and getting to the park nice and early to snag fast passes.

5  Thank locura81
There are newer reviews for Carthay Circle Restaurant

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I loved all of the attention to detail that was put into recreating the restaurant, with the photos from the past of Shirley Temple and such. It is a beautiful place, great restroom too. Also downstairs the bar is great to look at too. I shared a flight of bourbon with a friend and enjoyed the experience. Upstairs at dinner I found the fall menu additions lovely. The Thai pumpkin soup and the apple salad were great as were the Carthay Circle biscuits with cheese. The entree that I chose was somewhat disappointing, it was the quail. My friends pasta with lamb was quite good though. The apple crumb cheesecake was fantastic too. Yes it is pricey, but the ambiance and the wonderful wait staff was great, except for the cold coffee that was poured, but quickly remedied. I loved how our sweet waitress explained all of the choices in great detail and how kindly and with a sort of enthusiasm that is not usually found in most places. I believe her name was Lindsey F. Best waitress ever.

Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to get at least one quality meal in at Disney but there aren't a lot of great options. The Carthay Circle World of Colour preferred seating option allowed us to have a lovely meal with the kids, and got us great viewing!

Given the cost of food generally at Disney, to have a 2 course meal for 4, thoughtfully and well prepared, in a very nice setting, with drinks, for just over $100 seemed like a relative steal to us. The food was good. The children's options were very acceptable to them. The trout was cooked very nicely, as was the ravioli. The mixed drinks from the lounge below were a highlight.

Overall, a nice escape from the rest of the park.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Having dine at Napa Rose the night before...you can say we expected the same quality of food since Napa Rose and Carthay Circle are run by the same executive chef. So, let me start off by saying that the ambiance and architecture are well executed. However, the food (except for the Gorditas appetizer) lack flavor and richness.
My husband ordered the Udon Noodles that were very much bland, the curry sauce was not rich and flavorful as curry should be and maybe a bit more cumin might have aided the dish. The noodles were also cold by the time they were served at our table which is a total faux pas for my husband.
I ordered the short-ribs ravioli which were also served cold, however, I enjoy my meals at room temperature. The dish was okay, it lack flavor and boldness. The short-ribs were tender and the raviolis al dente but once again...there was something missing.
The kids menu had much better choices than other DL restaurants. Our 4 year old son had the petit filet from the kids menu that was served with broccoli and two baked macaroni and cheese puff balls. He enjoyed his meal.
The only dish my husband and I actually enjoyed was the Gorditas appetizer. This dish is put together very nicely, the crunchy texture of the Gordita with the meatiness of the mushroom and spicy sauce were quite tasty.
We will probably not visit Carthay's in the future. My husband was much disappointed that he rather eat at Napa Rose where our meal was fantastic!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had dinner at Carthay Circle a few weeks ago for my husband's birthday. Like most other dinig experiences at Disneyland/California Adventure, the menu was somewhat limited, but here, it didn't matter, because just about everything is amazing. While we waited for our table, we started with some hand crafted cocktails - different for everyone in our group, but all delicious, and made with high quality ingredients.
We were seated before our reservation time (we showed up early), and were seated in a comfy booth (that unfortunately only had a view of a hallway and cash register). The decor is amazing - this place is just beautiful, and just like any other Disney location, every detail was perfectly executed.
The biscuits are delicious (filled with gooey cheese!) and every entree was great. (We had pot roast, ravioli, and fish, everyone was happy!)
HIghly reccommend this if you are looking for a fine dining experience inside the park.
Cal the disney dining line to make reservations in advance.