“Not overly impressive!”

Anaheim Maingate Inn
Ranked #112 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Well, when we drove up, we were a bit worried. The parking lot is very small and the lobby door was in need of repair. The lady behind the desk was pleasant enough, very thick accent. The biggest problem I found was that they advertised as Maingate and they are far from it. They are more than a block away, we walked for about a mile or more. Transportation to and from is not clear. We got a room on the 3rd floor, the stairs going up there were hard to find and looked very scary with no lighting. The room was bigger then we expected the bathroom was almost as big as the room, it had a jacuzzi tub and seperate shower. It appeared clean. The A/C worked well, the blinds were broken and laying around on the floor. There is free internet and a fridge and microwave in the room. I just read about the bed bugs and I pulled off the linens and checked the mattress. I am a bit freaked to go to sleep, but I will follow up if I find any. I guess you get what you pay for, it was only $56/night. We are going to stay tonight and see about tomorrow. I wouldn't book here again, due mostly to the distance from the park. It cost us $8 for the taxi back from park, still cheaper than parking there I guess.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank n0c_nurse

Reviewed September 2, 2008

We climbed into bed for the first night and my husband just said he was bit by something, I turned on the light and our bed was covered in bed bugs. The mgmt said they would put us in another room but we declined and quickly checked out. They also said this has never happened at their hotel before but as I read the rest of the reviews, I don't believe it. They need to fumigate before letting anyone else stay there.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank flamingogirl46
Reviewed June 9, 2008

We entered the tiny lobby to find that we were alone. After a few rings of the bell a fairly pleasant woman appeared behind the desk. The language barrier made check in challenging, but not impossible. The process, however, was laborious and overly long. Just take my money and give me a key. I want to get to Disneyland while it’s still popular. It felt like we stood there for weeks.

Towards the end of week three, the lady asked for a credit card, which I happily provided. She must have been hungry because while she was completing my paperwork…I couldn’t make this up…she held my credit card in her mouth. I couldn’t wait to get that half eaten card back from her so I could share her drool with the rest of my wallet. Again, I couldn’t make this up. I would have protested if I hadn’t wanted so desperately to just get away from her.

The room was on the third floor, up some treacherously steep stairs that surely aren’t up to building code. The room was miniscule, as was the television, which we finally found on the top shelf in the closet. Seriously, you have to open the closet to watch t.v.

The bathroom was creepy and dirty with what I think was toilet paper tied around the shower curtain to look like a bow. Pretty. The towels seemed clean enough. The shelving in the closet (under the t.v.) was slanted and ready to collapse.

I thought a hot tub would be nice, it was part of the reason I chose this hotel, but it was padlocked shut! Oh, well, a cold beer in my room will do, except that I didn’t have any quarters and you have to pay for ice. One plus is that it’s fairly close to the park. I’ll just walk over and get a beer, if I make it down those stairs.

The air conditioner did work well, but it was four inches from the bed so the noise kept me up most of the night. And as I lie there sleepless, I couldn’t help but wonder what else she had put her mouth on.

This place is about as bad as it gets, like really bad. Exhaust all other options before staying here.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laughyface
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I booked this hotel through Choicehotels.com because my mom in the past has booked pretty good and affordable hotels from this website and she has always had pleasant experiences with them. So for our trip to Disneyland, I saw that this was one of the cheapest ones and since it was really close to Disneyland, that it would be good enough. We got to our room and everything seemed neat and tidy. The room was equipped with everything you needed: tv, microwave, fridge, coffeemaker, etc.

So nighttime came and we went to sleep. All of a sudden, the smoke alarm started going off. So my mom turned the lights on and it stopped. Everything seemed fine, no smoke, no fire, nothing. So we were puzzled as to why the alarm went off. We went back to bed, and not a minute after we turned the lights off, it started going off again! We turned the lights back on, and it stopped. So I went back to bed for the 3rd time and that's when I noticed something crawling on my pajama sleeve. I flicked it off and jumped off my bed only to find a second bug of the same kind where I was lying on! I was so freaked out. It turned out they were bed bugs(I've never seen bed bugs before and didn't know what they looked like)!! The beds sheets were probably infested with them and I didn't notice it. It was too late at night to find another hotel so we agreed to be moved to another room. Well, the second room wasn't any better because it had water marks all over the walls and had some flies buzzing around. We were all too tired to even complain so we agreed to staying there for the night and leaving the next day to find another hotel. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep, because I was so paranoid that once I closed my eyes, bed bugs would be crawling all over me sucking my blood and everything. I don't know why the smoke alarm kept going off everytime we went back to bed, but I think something or someone was trying to send us a sign that there was something wrong with that hotel. If that smoke alarm didn't keep going off and waking us up, we probably would have been covered in bed bug bites(yuck yuck yuck).

Some other things I later noticed about this horrible hotel: towels were dingy and tattered, the faucet in our first room was too close to the sink so you could barely wash your face or rinse off your toothbrush, tv remote control didn't work, the bathtub was soft it felt like you were sinking. Management was nice but they should know better than to let their rooms be rented out in those conditions. Please don't make the same mistake I did! I beg of you!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ILMF2014
hotel-ca92805, Mangement at Anaheim Maingate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2008

In responce to the Bed bug room in question. THese rooms have been total renovated with ALL new furniture and carpets have been place in this rooms. We just had an inspection and no bed bugs were found, inspite we had the room sprayed again.

Reviewed April 12, 2008

We went out to Anaheim for a quick trip to DisneyLand. I had booked our hotel through Travelocity and although we usually stay at the Ramada Maingate, I was trying to save money and instead booked a different Maingate hotel for $60- the Rodeway Inn Maingate. The internet couldn't locate the address according to Travelocity nor could our GPS system. No problem, I thought- as soon as we got out of the parks, we would call the hotel and get the directions, pronto!

We left the parks at 7:30 PM on Wednesday night... And then spent 2 hours calling the number provided by Travelocity attempting to reach a human being! Instead, we were repeatedly put to a phone loop and no one answered the phone!

Called Travelocity to see if they knew the cross streets of this hotel- of course, they don't. The only number they had for the hotel- patched us straight through to the same answering machine loop we had already been calling.

So finally, we get a 411 operator to patch us through to another Rodeway hotel in Anaheim and the very kind man working the phones gave us the cross streets to our hotel.

We get to our hotel and there is someone in the lobby! When my Husband asks why no one was answering the phones, the man took the phones OFF OF HOLD and then said, "Try calling now!"

You don't know whether to laugh or cry now. It's 10 PM at night and we were exhausted.

We go upstairs to our room- only to encounter a door that has been KICKED IN and PATCHED back together. Seriously. We have the pictures to prove it.

The door lock? Doesn't work. The bolt? There is no hole drilled in the doorframe (where they had patched the frame up when the door was kicked in). The only functioning piece of security was a $2 sliding lock that any teenager could break.

The bed spread had stains on it as well.

There was no fire escape route posted, no hotel rates on the door...

When we complained, we were told that the hotel could send a maintenance man up to our room to drill a hole in the doorframe so the deadbolt would work. It was 11:30 at night by now!

We ended up leaving this hotel and paying $115 to book the Ramada Maingate at basically midnight.

I would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank DisneyFool
hotel-ca92805, Manager at Anaheim Maingate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2008

This complaint is out of character for this hotel. We have made many changes to the hotel. Please view the website is it is the exact reflection of the hotel. ALL rooms were provided with NEW marble vanity tops. Most rooms already have NEW carpets and more on the way. Furniture has been changed in ALL rooms and beds are currently being replaced in all rooms.

Please view the hotel and have your own decesions on the hard work ownership has made.

Reviewed March 29, 2008

We booked our reservations for another hotel through Hotwire -- recommendation do not book through them too! as we arrived at the hotel we thought we booked, we had not reservation...after investigating what had happen we were differed to another hotel (Roadway Inn Maingate) this is near Disneyland. We arrived at 2:00 a.m. and we checked in through a window outside the hotel. The front desk staff member didn't speak english very well. He directed us to room 333. As we looked for a parking--no parking, every single parking stall was occupied; we parked in the road. We looked for our room 333, and noticed that there was no third floor. After walking around the whole entire hotel we found our way through this narrow stair way only 1/2 of a stairway step I may add that lead us to an alley or may I say an attic. Oh the horror I felt that someone was in the back of me or about to stab me, it felt like I was at the bates motel. as we opened the door, we looked for the television because we were handed a remote control at the front office--my husband opened the closet and found the television. I noticed the furniture was scratched and engraved with peoples names, looked some what of the 40's type furniture or something you would see at the curbside waiting to be tossed out. I felt scared that night to even sleep. In the morning I heard people next door slap their doors and run like there is no tomorrow; I guess they were in the same predicament as we were. As we went with our vacation I was very ichy and notice that there were all bites on my body. When we arrived at the hotel I called front desk and this lady said tomorrow we room more you. Oh, well my husband felt bites and he was getting all ichy all over and we checked out and demanded to be moved out of that room. We were to go into another room but yet check out again the next morning. Well after room move to room move we finally got a place to say, I got a very bad alergic reaction to the bed bugs and got a very high fever. Oh did I forget to tell you while we were complaining about the bed bugs the man I think their married the lady and the man at the front office said no they have to stay at room 333--the wife explained and said what happen in their own language which we couldn't understand and was yelling at each other in front of the the guest in the lobby. My suggestion do not check in if you see you have been reserved for this hotel. BED BUGS MOTEL/FRONT OFFICE NOT FRIENDLY AND DON"T UNDERSTAND ENGLISH/SCARY PLACE TO RENT....

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank baybeebor
Reviewed March 6, 2008

- the front office smelled like curry, it was so strong that it felt like it was burning my throat.
- front desk clerk was nice.
- requested a king size bed, 1st floor (my husband had a broken leg). they placed us on the 3rd floor which looked like a shabby constructed extension onto the existing building. i was told by the front desk clerk that only the rooms on the 3rd floor are the ones with King size beds. no other rooms were 'available' for them to switch us to.
- it was raining when we checked in, stairway is not covered, ground/
flooring was slippery and trash bin was right next to the stairs. it was stink!
- room smelled 'musty & dusty', iron burns on the 'carpet'
- sliding window was broken, couldn't get it to shut all the way.
- checked out of this 'motel' within an hour of checking in.
- i would def. not recommend this hotel at all, especially if you have your children with you.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank PrincessPuanani
hotel-ca92805, Mamangement at Anaheim Maingate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2008

The hotel has been renovated and ALL rooms are in code with Rodeway specification. I am truly sorry taht these compaints do not warrant any type of merit as ownership has spent time and money to upgrade these rooms including ALL NEW marble top vanities...