“Cortona Inn & Suites” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Grand Terrace
“Cortona Inn & Suites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

Very nice hotel. We were there for a conference at the convention center and the convention center is just a short walk from the hotel, very convienient location for events at the convention center. We were on the 3rd floor and it was very quiet and restful. No loud children or parties going on. The only complaint my wife had was that there was no light over the bathroom mirror and it made it hard to put on makeup.

The staff were all very friendly and very professional. They were ready to answer any questions and they made us feel very welcome.

The room is very spacious and clean. It is not a modern hotel but it was still very nice. The room has a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker but we never used any because the free contiental breakfast was much better than in-room coffee. The breakfast is much more than pastries and coffee though. Waffles, pancakes, toast, ceral, sausage and eggs, fruit and of course the pastries that you find at a typical contiental breakfast. We did not use the pool but it was getting a lot of use form others staying there.

Disneyland and Downtown Disney are about 1 mile from the hotel and not a unpleasant walk. There are resturants within walking distance.

Overall this was a very nice place to stay for a conference or trip to the Magic Kingdom. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Agoura Hills, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Do not stay at this dump. Mismanaged bad property with inadequate parking and subpar rooms "dressed up" to look pretty.

The walls are paper thin. Do *not* expect a good night's sleep. Screaming children, yelling parents, blaring television, car horns, sirens, rushing water, jacuzzi motors, or the sweet sounds of hippotomous love-making - this hotel's got it all! Enjoy.

The free wireless internet is worth exactly what you paid for it: nothing. Bring a cantenna and point it at the Clarion next door - or the Hilton across the street. I walked around the outdoor halways with a signal mapper and the room signals were consistently fair, poor or just undetectable. If you do manage to get a signal, you probably won't get an IP address. Their router appears to be busy doing something WAY more important than issuing IPs to DHCP requests.

There aren't enough parking spaces for the number of rooms - so, when you arrive and grab a space, make sure you stay there. There isn't any public parking even remotely close to this hotel, so you will be screwed if you don't get there early.

If you're legitimately handicapped, don't expect to find parking here. Out of the 6 handicapped spots I counted, 5 were filled with cars that had no handicapped placard, and a car was wedged into the area between two spots which is reserved for wheelchair loading and unloading. I have reason to believe that the staff actually told people to park in the handicapped spaces (see below if you're curious).

There is no smoking area: Instead, there are signs everywhere that say you can smoke 20ft from the building - which lands smokers in the parking lot right next to the pool. Since there's no place to dump cigarettes, the parking lot is littered with them. While trying to smoke away from the building, I discovered a dark part of the parking lot where I met the most lovely toothless woman looking for meth. Would you want your kids to meet her? She was chatting up three teenagers from the hotel who were smoking pot.

Bad front desk security: Don't think that you or your valuables are secure in your room. I left my room without my ID or my key so I dropped by the front desk to get a duplicate key. The person behind the counter asked me for my room number and my ID. When I told him I left my wallet in my room, he just *generated a new key* and handed it to me. I asked if he would like to verify my identity? Perhaps by asking me some questions or something? He said "Sure," then asked me for my address and zip code - after he had given me the key. Oui!

There was a safe in my room but no key - and no electronic lock. Apparently, if you want the key you'll have to pay for it from the front desk.

Customer service: I've stayed at a lot of hotels, but I have never once had a staff member talk to me like I was a dog. "Just shut up and go to your room." Really? I have never before had a staff member command me to break the law "Park your car in the fire zone and go to your room."

Here's what happened:

At 3:30am, I suddenly hear this horrible noise that wakes me from my "sleep." (Sleep is *not* what you get at this hotel due to the aforementioned annoying noises, so I'm putting the word in air quotes). It was the motor from the hot tub in the room above me. Honestly, would a little sound proofing kill you on those?

I knew I wasn't going to get any more "sleep" at this hotel, so I pulled on some clothes and went out to my car to get some breakfast. When I came back to the hotel at around 4-4:30am, there was no parking. No parking anywhere. So I stopped my car at the front entrance and rang the night bell. There was no noise, no person behind the desk, and no indication my doorbell ring worked at all. After a few moments, I rang it a second time, and finally - a third time (again, after a long pause). I only mention this because I can't think of any other reason that the night manager was such a jerk.

Eventually, he opened the door and came outside - this is the conversation that happened:

"I can't find anyplace to park. Where is there a place I can park?"
"Are you checking out or checking in?"
"Neither - I have a room here and a parking permit."
"Well where's the space that you were parked in?"
"Um - really? Why does that matter?"
"Where were you parked before you left?"
"Seriously? What does that matter?"
"What room are you in?"
"133"
"Well were you parked near there?"
"Yes, I was parked in the center of the parking lot."
"What? What do you mean, 'center?'"
"By the pool."
"So, not by your room, by the pool?"
"Oh my God, are you serious? Do you need me to show you the space that my car was parked in before I drove out? I'll show you - there's a f---ing car in there now." I start walking toward the parking behind the building ... ranting, "I have no idea what good it's going to do for me to show you the completely filled parking space that I vacated, but there's no area left for parking in this lot, and I have a parking permit. How many parking permits did you issue for tonight? Either someone is parked without a permit, or you have issued too many permits." I point - "There's the spot - that one over there."
"Permits are *my* business and none of yours. Just park your car right here." He points at a red-marked fire lane.
"Sir, that's a fire lane. It's not legal to park a car in the fire lane."
"Oh, you just park your car there."
"I won't break the law."
"Park your car here and go to your room!"
"Really?? Look, if I park there, is your hotel going to compensate me for any ticket or damages my car sustains? Seriously? This is a joke. What if there's a fire?"
"Oh there's not going to be a fire. Just park your car."
"I will not break the law."
He walks away, "Shut up and go to your room!" "GO!"

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Run away!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Terry M
Murrieta, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

As local Southern California residents, we have never needed to reserve a room for a trip to Disneyland before, but it was my sons 5th birthday and we wanted to avoid the wasted time we would spend driving to and from the park and booked this room for just an overnight stay. My mom booked the room for us and one of the main reasons we chose this location was because it was one of few places that claimed to accomodate 6 guests. We ended up only having 5 guests, but once we checked in we realized that this was not a place to accomodate a large group. Check-in was seamless and the front desk staff was beyond friendly. My family and I reached the location first, so we checked in and got our free parking pass. We went straight to our room and soon discovered how small the room was. It was also incredibly stuffy and damp. The weather on that particular weekend in Anaheim was cool. A mild 75 degrees and breezy and when in the room it was muggy and uncomfortable. We opened the window to get a breeze in and realized that the main window did not have a screen attached. I have a very rambunctious 5year old and I did not feel safe on the 3rd floor with no screen on the front window. We also invited every fly in the room by having the window open. So we opted to put the AC on and freeze just so we could breathe. My mom was coming from a different location and when she arrived, she had to pay for parking. This was not disclosed when she booked the room, which she did over the phone. The kids wanted to experience the pool that evening and although it was cool, we were looking forward to the heated pool that was advertised. The pool was far from heated, it was COLD. The beds were clean and comfy. The bathroom, although newly renovated and clean was TINY and cramped for 5 people. I dont think I have ever stayed in a motel/hotel/inn where the bathroom was that small. The living area was also cramped and was not suitable for a family to sit and relax at the end of the day. The sleeper only sat two, maybe 3 people and there was one extra chair at the desk. Im not sure how 6 or 5 people were supposed to congregate in the living area with seating for 4. Again, the bedroom was spacious and clean and the only comfortable room in the "suite". It was obvious that there was a mildew problem in the room. The next morning, both rooms (bedroom and living room) had condensation over the entire window. The fan in the bathroom was not adequate enough to remove the steam from the bathroom or suite. We were just fortunate that we were not spending any great length of time at the suite. It was not comfortable at all. On a good note, the free continental breakfast was very nice. Saved us on time and money by not having to go out to breakfast before hitting the park. Overall, there were good points about the hotel. The staff were very nice and accommodating. One of the nicest experiences with front desk staff I have had. The grounds are very nice and clean. The free WiFi was also a huge plus. But the unheated pool and tiny living space in the room were major downers. Plus, the quality of the rooms were very odd. Having bathrooms that are upscale, but then not having screens on windows and not addressing the mildew in the room was off-putting. Keep up the good work on the customer service, but I would recommend upgrading the rooms completely, rather than doing just a partial job.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LotusBud21
Columbia, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

This hotel was a great deal with its online offers. It was a fifteen minute walk to Disneyland, had a free parking for one car, and a decent, real hot breakfast that was always packed. I would stay here again. Looks like the pictures and perfectly clean. It has nice complimentary soaps as well. Best deal found for surrounding hotels.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brad D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Its very pretty. Great location, near disney and several restaurants. Wonderful breakfast with fruit and waffles, pancakes, cereal, etc. very helpful people too. Will definitely stay here again!(:

They also give you a 15% off coupon upon checkout!

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Marzipanimal
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

It is a very clean, friendly hotel. The breakfast buffet has a lot of stuff, eggs, pancakes, fruits, sausages, milk, juice, coffee et al. About 20 minutes walk to Disney park. The only downside is their wifi service, which does not work well in hotel room. You have to take your computer to the front desk area to get good reception.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen Z
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I want to start off by saying my Fionce and I ignored the negativity others had to say as I felt some guests like get anything free....
.. But! The noise level is unbelievable! My Fionce payed for this getaway as a stress reliever for me, guests pay to relax and SLEEP. Specially after a long exciting day at Disneyland. I cannot begin to explain the inconsiderate house keeping this hotel has to offer. It does not seem to matter how early, nor of your "Do Not Dosturb" sign is at display... They will yell across the halls and absolutely gossip their job away. Guests do not want to hear what your cousin or nephew has done... I have never stayed in a hotel where housekeepers stand around to gossip, we saw 4 housekeepers chatting on the doorway of a room that was "suppose to be" tended to... 45 mins later... Still there!! Like I said, we pay for sleep... We got absolutely none! Waking up with migraines of restless nights...

My Fionce is absolutely appalled and regretting paying $300 for rude, and sleepless vacation. Unless this issue is addressed will not be returning nor recommending the Cortona facility whatsoever!!

• Stayed May 2012