“Never Again”
Review of Hotel 414 Anaheim

Hotel 414 Anaheim
Ranked #3 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I chose this hotel based on the reviews here on Trip Advisor. After I can back, I can’t understand why they have such a high rating, until I saw many of the high ratings come from reviews with this being their only review. It makes me very suspicious that maybe someone is padding their rating.
The good: The Mickey & Friends parking structure is less than a half mile away. I have an Annual Pass with parking, so this was nice; we were at the tram stop within 5 minutes. Also, the rooms were cleaner than many of the other motel type hotels close to Disneyland. The laminate flooring was a nice change from dirty carpet.
The bad: There was no “Do Not Disturb” sign to hang on the door. Our phone was very static-y when we tried to call the front desk. I had to physically go to the front desk several times because I could not hear on the phone. Housekeeping would turn the a/c off when they cleaned the room. I understand saving energy, but when it’s 95, 80% humidity & you just spent 8 hours walking in it, you want a cool room & it took hours to cool it down again. We were given 6 pillows for 2 queen beds, which is good, but they were thin, stuff & very uncomfortable. The towels were very thin & small. The hotel is an older, motel type hotel. Two story with no elevator and 2 concrete stair cases. The staircase I used is slightly slanted down on the top landing, so if you’re carrying something heavy on your back, it becomes dangerous as it’s slanted backwards, I started to fall backwards on it. (I’m assuming to allow rain run off) I snapped a picture, but it’s hard to see. The pool is tiny, maybe big enough for 10 people, we never used it, as it didn’t look very clean, there was quite a bit of debris at the bottom of the pool. There was no hot tub.
The ugly: The beds, good grief, they are the most uncomfortable beds I’ve ever slept on. It felt like sleeping on plywood. I woke up on Sunday morning in absolute agony, my upper back was spasming & I could not bend over. It made for a painful day/s in Disneyland.
I know someone from the hotel reads Trip Advisor & please pay attention. If you want a successful hotel, reviews on Trip Advisor are only going to get so far, if you want good reviews, you must, must, must have good customer service.
Customer service is a HUGE issue at this hotel. Upon check in, there was no one in the lobby. After a minute or so, 2 teenage boys came out. There was no hello, just “yes” So I told them I was checking in. Neither boy knew the proper procedure, one asked the other, said they didn’t know, tripped over themselves, running my credit card, I was not confident at all with staying at this hotel at that point, but then a woman came out & she showed them what to do. No one told me when check out was, no one told me where my room was located, no one told me when breakfast was served, no one told me how to get connected to the wifi, no one welcomed me, no one was friendly, etc.
I called the front desk to find out how to connect to the internet, she told me to look at my hotel key, there were directions on it. So we tried, but it would not work. The next day I went to the lobby to inquire about the wifi again. The lobby was empty again. So I rang the bell and waited and waited and waited. No one ever came out. So I called the hotel from my cell phone & told the woman I was in the lobby & was having issues with the wifi & the password wasn’t working. She told me she would check on it & call me back on my room phone in 10-15 minutes. I’ve still never gotten that call back. The third day, I went to the empty lobby again & a woman came out quickly this time & was nice & showed me which connection to select (The key said A B I, but I had to select a different one) & from then, we had working wifi.
The final straw for me was when the toilet backed up. They have water saving toilets, which is great, but they get backed up. So I called the front desk to let them know our toilet was clogged & just about overflowed. The woman told me to come down to the lobby to get a plunger. Maybe I’m a priss, but it’s 10:30 at night, I’m in my pj’s, I’ve been walking in Disneyland all day, this is not what I want to do, but I do. I walk into the empty (again) lobby, after a minute or so, a man comes out in his pj’s & he’s clearly irritated and he tells me, as if I somehow should have known, that the plunger is in the laundry room, he doesn’t have one here, wait 10 or 15 minutes here & I’ll get it. I told him to forget it, I’m going to bed! So I go back to my room & a few minutes later the teenage boys are at my door with a plunger in a plastic bag that’s coated on the inside with someone else’s crap. It was so disgusting, I snapped a picture because I don’t think anyone would believe me! So I plunged the toilet & put the plunger back in the poopy bag & set it outside.
Upon checking out, I was told that I was never charged tax when the teenage boys checked me in, so she ran my card for another $45, which I’m sure is correct, but just another reason why they should have competent people working in the lobby & someone should always be there. I got the feeling this hotel is run by a family that lives onsite, behind the lobby.
So run down, clean & close, but uncomfortable beds & no customer service. No thank you!

Room Tip: I can't imagine any room would be better than another.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank wendebird
ABInn, Manager at Hotel 414 Anaheim, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear Wendebird,
I am sincerely sorry to hear that your stay was not as you had hoped. I have read your comments with great concern and will definitely look into them. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe and comfortable stay for all our guests. I hope you give us another opportunity to earn your business.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

A great inn located 15-20 minutes away from Disneyland resort! The service was nice and friendly, the price was great, clean rooms, the housekeeper was nice, the shuttle to get to Disneyland was in front. Conveniently located to some restaurants, a supermarket, and a gas station/Starbucks.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gdbam
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Awesome hotel!! Super comfortable beds!! Like I said...the breakfast was the best!! Next time I'm in Disney World I will come back to this ADFORDABLE hotel!!! :)

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Summerbrieze
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Me and my fiancee stayed here for 4 nights last month when we went to Disneyland for my 26th birthday. The location was perfect cause the shuttle stops right in front. The rooms were very very clean and newly remodeled and my fav thing was they had name brand toiletries. I would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank iluvdisneyland
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The room was clean the bathroom was clean the floors were clean!
The wood floors were ideal and made the room very comfy . At the price it was a great choice. No complaints the bed was comfortable and the comforter was a great accent to the rest of the room.
Will be returning next trip to Disney !!!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Thinmusyck
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a Disneyland trip with my family. Price was great and the location is perfect. It is close to the freeway and there are many restaurants around. While checking in on Sunday, the man at the desk seemed annoyed to be there. He may have been asleep and was woken up when I came in. The rooms are OK. I really liked the wood flooring. It is much nicer that dirty carpet that turns your feet/socks black. No dirty feet here!!! My main complaint is the bed. Perhaps I was given the only room with bad beds, but they were VERY uncomfortable. The were so hard. Like sleeping on a concrete floor with nothing but a thin pad below me. It was rough for 2 of the 3 nights. The night after disneyland, I was so exhausted that I didn't care where I was sleeping, so the bed didn't bother me that night.
Check-out was much more pleasant. The ladies at the front desk were VERY nice. It is a shame they weren't in the office at our arrival. It would have given us a much better first impression.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeepers_Mimi
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The staff is so courteous and always willing to help. Clean rooms, great parking and close to local attractions. So much to do here. I love California. Yeauhh!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends