“Comic was hilarious, dinner and service was lacking”

City National Grove of Anaheim
Ranked #52 of 153 things to do in Anaheim
More attraction details
Owner description: A 40,000-square-foot entertainment facility features a movie-studio soundstage that provides full production, multimedia and video productions.
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Every diner in our party was served at a different time. The first couple had finished by the time the last couple was served. Don't get the crab nachos-velveta and crab just don't go together.

Don't go expecting a good meal--prepare to laugh

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My family and I went to the Grove on Valentine's Day to see Linda Eder in concert. I wish they had a place to review people on this site...I'd review Linda's concert and give her 2 million starts (out of 5)..."Awesome" does not begin to describe her voice. Anyway... the four of us arrived at the Grove 10 minutes before the gates were to open. The front security staff was friendly and let us in on time. We went inside where we were greeted by ushers/staff that helped us to our seats. I thought they could've been a little more friendly instead of just saying "do you need somethin?" What happened to "welcome to the Grove this evening, may I help you find your seat?"
Moving on...we sat down (5th row, left side of stage...great seats) and were given menus to choose our course. The lady server started out by telling us that for $90 we could purchase 1 soup, 1 entree and 1 dessert, but we HAD to purchase it as a couple. Every time someone at our table asked her a question, she gave TWO different answers, then said "I have to go check"! Someone at the table asked for a very small substitution (like if they could leave the onions off)...the server came back and said the chef will not allow ANY substitutions. I was wondering what was so difficult about not adding onions to a dish. I got my answer when the main course was served....
Several of us ordered Chicken Marsala with hand made pasta. What we got instead was a cold, breaded piece of white meat chicken, with 1-2 small tiny button mushrooms, and a can of very watered down cream of chicken soup. The pasta itself was good, but obviously, the chicken had been frozen and microwaved. Ok...what do you expect from a concert venue...it's not a 5 star restaurant. But when I stopped and realized I was being charged over $70 for this dinner....that's RIDICULOUS! Frozen, cold, and definitely falsely advertising your entree's is NOT a good idea!
When we ordered dessert...the only option left was the Creme Burle with Cherry compote. The cream part was O K....extremely Sweet. I took a cherry.....uhoh! That was a mistake. The cherries were NOT cherries. They were more like oversized raisins with very starchy, doughy, wrinkly skin on them. All you could taste was this bitter, skin like, shriveled up thing....I think dog food would've tasted better. Cmon guys....for the price you're charging for dinner, at least try to incorporate some fresh ingredients.
The highlight of the food though, was the Butternut squash soup. I'm guessing that came out of a can too, but it was really good! Their corn/tomato salad was also quite tasty. Again, not a 4 star restaurant, but very good.
After dinner and after I had paid the bill (or thought I did anyway)...the server came back (during the show) and told me that their machine went crazy and charged me $25 more. She said she needed to see my card to fix it...OK...here's the kicker! She asked me to SIGN the NEW bill (for $25 more) so that she could "explain to her staff that the computer was overcharging people!" I told her I was NOT signing anything else and that if I was charged one penny over what I agreed to pay, that I would take it up with my credit card company.
20 minutes later, she came back and said "the problem was solved"! Phew...now I could just sit back and enjoy the amazing Linda Eder!
Bottom line....the grove is a great place to see a concert! But if you avoid it, I would not spend the money for the "dinner" they serve!

1  Thank Brian S
Reviewed December 29, 2012

First time here. Attended Clay Aiken Christmas dinner show Shared dinner table with other guests. Food was amazingly good for this sort of venue Staff friendly and service attentive
Advise you check seating chart carefully if attending dinner show. You want to be on the side of table facing stage unless your table is in center

3  Thank Bon1111
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Grove of Anaheim is one of the best venues in Orange County for concerts and stage performances. You can stay up to date on their event schedule by going to their website and signing up for email updates. You will need to get email updates in order to have access to Internet Pre-Sale tickets which will get you the best seats. Some of the events at the Grove include a full dinner menu and table service. Take advantage of this if you can and you will get better seats, plus the food is really exceptional.