“Quiet, comfortable, and convenient”

Anaheim Majestic Garden Hotel
Ranked #47 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
A TripAdvisor Member
“Quiet, comfortable, and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2005

We spent three quiet nights at the Anaheim Sheraton from 7/18-7/20. I don't normally write reviews, but after seeing the alternatives on Harbor Blvd I encourage you to consider the Sheraton.

The rooms: I agree with other reviewers that the interior of the room felt a little dated. However, our room was large, clean, and the 2 queen beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was a little smaller than I expected, but adequate and very clean.

The shuttle: This was definitely a convenient way to get to and from Disneyland. It really only takes 5 minutes to get to the park entrance, which is at least half the time it takes to walk from one of the 'main gate' hotels on Harbor. The drivers were very friendly and the shuttle was always there on schedule.

The hotel in general: The courtyard areas are charming. The pool was fine - it was never crowded and it was perfect for a mid-day break. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The hotel was sold out while we were there, but it never felt crowded and it was very quiet the entire time.

Overall, we really enjoyed staying at this hotel. This is not a luxury hotel, but it sure felt like an oasis after spending long hours on our feet at Disneyland.

The only drawback is that there aren't any restaurants within reasonable walking distance of the hotel.

Tips: Rent a refrigerator for $20 for your entire stay. We saved a lot of money by bringing our own breakfast food, snacks and drinks. Also, if something does not work properly, report it to the front desk. We reported two small maintenance issues in the morning and they were fixed by the time we came back in the afternoon.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Korean first
Bay Area, California, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2005

We stayed at the Sheraton Anaheim over the Fourth of July weekend. We checked in around noon and were initially told that check-in was not until 3pm, but front desk found a room for us anyways. I think the best thing for this hotel is the location and the grounds. It's very close to Disneyland and the grounds are immaculately kept! The room itself is just ok. Everything was clean but the age of the building is beginning to show. There were cracks in the bathroom sink and the water took forever to drain from both the sink and the tub. We saw Disneyland shuttles coming and going at regular intervals at the front, but did not use the service. At night we were able to see fireworks from Disneyland reflected on the glass of the building across from our hotel windows. It was very quiet the entire time we were there. Overall, we would give this hotel a 3 1/2 out of 5. Adequate, but nothing special!

4 Thank JKDM
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2005

We arrived at the Sheraton Anaheim earlier than check-in time. No problem! The front desk allowed us into our room. Actually they even allowed us to choose the location! We have teenagers, the pool area would be perfect for us. Again, no problem! Our outside door opened at the pool gate. Perfect for us. The pool noise mentioned previously wasn't a problem for us as our kids were the ones making the noise while we were there. We could have done without the early morning pool cleanup usually before 7am.

We ate in the Bistro for breakfast most days. The buffet looked alittle used most of the time so we ordered off the menu. There wasn't any outdoor seating which was a disappointment. It looked gorgeous out there. Room service was also fantastic and quick. The kids enjoyed not getting up with us but ordering their food on their own.

The location to Disney, in my opinion, can't be beat. The shuttle was convenient as well as timely. We never waited longer than a couple of minutes. So much easier than driving yourself and parking.

We totally enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton Anaheim.

8 Thank littlee876
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2005

We stayed here for the first three nights of our driving holiday. The rooms were huge and spacious, the beds were heaven, the bathroom wasn't huge but i wasn't intending to stay in there long. My two very tall teens had bags of space. The air con is a blessing and easy to use.
The fireworks from the parking lot at night were great ( get settled just in front of the main enterance, my kids sat in the jeep roof and even the cops pulled over to have a look!).
We had hoped for a room over looking something pretty but we had booked direct on email and stipulated quiet. It was just that, even though we were on a busy run through we heard little noise and I'm pretty fussy! Coffee perculator was a novelty and very pleasent once we worked out how to get the coffee made! It was nice to have a safe in the room.
Its near mickey land and there is a great resturant called Mimis on the disney main drag so we didn't eat in the hotel, it looked a bit pricy for the independent traveller. We liked the fact it was a virgin flagship hotel but if you want a pool forget it! It was really poor.
If your staying in LA for your entire trip don't go here, you'll want a nice pool and better location especially if you have small people. Don't go to Disney here instead of Florida, there is no comparison, this one fails to match up to the Florida Disneyland experience.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2005

PROS: When you drive out of the mickey and friends parking structure and go to ball rd, this is the first hotel you come to. Very close, easy location. However, do not let this deter from staying elsewhere since everything is minutes away from disney. We had two queen beds very comfortable. Room is very large for basic hotel room. Very large safe also. Swimming pool is heated. Washer/dryer located by pool for quarters. Food to go area behind gift shop is nice if you're running off to the park in the morning to grab cereal or a bagel (no toaster though.) The workers were all very polite and helpful. Service express a real plus. Called us back to make sure we had our extra towel request.
CONS: This hotel (at least the room we were in) is in need of renovation. The hallways, elevators, you name it, carpeting, chairs, furniture are very outdated. There are no balconies, but there are usable windows. Another feature which i can't stand is the air conditioning. Some older hotels are set up with a weird system - no air conditioning in the winter and no heater in the summer. So if you're one of those people who won't open the window, which I wont since bugs can fly in overnight, and you don't like a stuffy room in the winter, you have no choice. The hotel addresses this problem with a big sign in english and japanese explaining that you can ask for a fan or heater depending on the season. I simply do not like this system. The bathroom is really, really tiny - one at a time in there. Our tub latch would not close for a bath. The sink also didn't empty right. I just think the plumbing itself needs renovating. There are also no security locks to the inside corridors. Appeared as if they were all broken off. Maybe they're going to fix this, not sure. (Most hotels in the area have card key access only after 10pm.) The hotel is set up in lots of wing areas. Park in the front and if you're in the back, get ready for a long walk. Also the elevators are very tiny. Thin walls. We had lots of problems with people returning from downtown dis at 2 am with loud noises in the halls and rooms next door. We had breakfast at the one restaurant. Basic buffet with no cooked to order. Menu offered all other breakfast items. We also ordered lunch and took it out to the pool. The food was pretty good. We wouldn't stay here again since there are much other choices in the area. I really do not think the hotel was worth the $169 plus $10 for parking/night as it's only a 3 star, bordering on 2 and 1/2 stars, considering the numerous other choices in the area. We are a family who travels a lot for business and pleasure.

8 Thank californiamom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2005

We stayed from june 18th. to june 24th 2005. The rooms were clean the staff very nice (while at the lobby my children were seeing the carps in the small pool and one staff lady asked the concierge to bring fish food so my children could feed the carps, of course they loved it!).

Transportation to the Disney theme parks is free and the drivers are very courteous.

I`ll stay again there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fremont, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2005

My extended family (12 of us!) had booked three rooms with 2 queen beds for mid-June, with my little family of five staying for a whole week (the rest were booked for 4 days, 3 nights). We stayed in the G wing, which is a whole separate building from the main hotel, leading to my first complaint: the place is large and sprawling, with your key needed to access other wings/areas past a certain time. This would make you feel secure, except my building did not have key pass restrictions, making you wonder why they bother with it at all.
The hotel itself had a lovely lobby with an indoor koi pond, several courtyards with fountains, and despite its very close location to the freeway, you don't really hear the freeway unless you open a window. What you will hear is the fireworks show from Disneyland, since this hotel is literally across the street from where they set off the nightly fireworks behind the Toontown backdrops (this is done usually at 9:30-9:45, but Wednesday is an early schedule - 8:30 p.m.). The plus side to this is you get a great view of the show from either your room (if positioned correctly), the parking lot, or the pool (which is supposed to close at 10:30 p.m.).
We had a kids-eat-free pass, but it was only for one kid per adult, so as a family with 3 kids, we still had to pay for one (about $7) plus ourselves ($12.75 per adult). Service in the one restaurant was pleasant, but one waiter took it upon himself to add in his tip and total the bill for me, which I thought was rude and foolish, since I have a tendancy to round-up and overtip in a place where I know I will be coming again. The dinner menu is a bit pricey (entrees in the $17 to $25 range), but the food was good. The breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful, but repetitive (always the same items, no omelet bar, muffins and bagels but no toast), but you could always order off the menu. They advertised a Deli, but it has refrigerated heat-up sandwiches. It does have small snack items and ice cream, but one day the ice-cream refrigerator was missing and the staffer had no idea why it was gone. If you want to eat somewhere else, you will need a car or take the shuttle to Disney and eat there (Downtown Disney, the parks), or walk out from Disney to Harbor Blvd (the main drag, crowded with fast food and Disney-related hotels).
The Sleep Sweeter beds are one of the reasons we booked this hotel and they do not disappoint - very plush, with great pillows. The rooms themselves are clean, large and well-maintained by the maid staff (no mold in the bathrooms, spotless floors). Our rollaway bed was delivered within 30 minutes, despite our faraway wing. The hotel also has a good shuttle that will take you to Disney. It arrives every half hour, but be on time, or be prepared for being overloaded when everyone is trying to make the 8:00 opening of the park (we saw this problem twice, and the drivers were professional). The only problem with the shuttle is if you want to make the early park opening (7:00 a.m.); the earliest shuttle leaves at 7:30 a.m..
The another problem with our stay included being charged for internet access, which was not mentioned when we booked, or in the hotel guide in the room. Also, checking out and in for the additional half of our stay was problematic. Since we booked with an agency, we had half of our stay booked with my extended family, but the rest was on a voucher under my own name. When I originally checked in and asked the clerk if this would be a problem, would I have to move rooms, etc... He said it would be no problem, just check in on Monday morning. When I did this, I was informed by another clerk and the manager that I would have to move rooms because the engineering staff had to fix air-conditioning problems. Despite the disbelief on my face, they said this was being done as a convenience for me. Since this would mean that we would have to repack and move all our things that moment (three kids' worth of stuff!) and miss the early opening of the park, my husband spoke to another clerk, who allowed us to stay in the room.
The fact that we chose to stay in this room for the rest of the vacation and they warned us of air-conditioning problems is why I am not going to complain about how hot the room was. Unfortunately, at least in my wing (G, 3rd floor), they have always had a problem with the air-conditioning/heating system, and even have a notice about it by the thermostat, recommending that you call the staff for a fan if necessary (blankets in winter); I do not know if this is the case for the entire hotel. We would stay in this hotel again, but I would need some assurances about the air-conditioning and the cost of the internet (my husband's business requires good access) and make sure I had a car ($10.00 for parking).

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business