“Easily one of my best hotel experiences”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 13, 2009

First, let me say that I am not one to give praise in an off-handed fashion. My wife says that I am hard to please and a complainer, I like to think of myself as having standards and being discerning, lol.

I stayed here for two nights with my family (wife and kids aged 5, 11, 15) for a Disney trip. All of the staff were extremely friendly, efficient and responsive. The whole process from reservations, check-in, the daily full American breakfast, and checkout was a pleasant experience. Staff was knowledgeable about the area and responsive to special requests. The room was very spacious and was spotless, as was the bathroom! The breakfast was served quickly and was delicious!

The hotel does NOT have a shuttle to Disney (despite what is advertised on some sites), but the drive is easy and the daily parking at Disney was about the same as what the local transit would have cost me for all five of us. A shuttle would have been nice, but as a matter of importance, I rank it under the room size and cleanliness and the efficiency and responsiveness of the staff. In addition, receiving the complimentary full American breakfast more than makes up for the lack of a shuttle. The breakfast really helped make the hotel a great value for our trip.

The Ayres Hotel Anaheim will probably be my "go to" hotel for future trips to Anaheim. Although I was here with my family, I would not hesitate to stay here on a business trip to the area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Eric H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,283)

Reviewed October 11, 2009

I was so excited to stay at this property because it was rated so highly on tripadvisor. We were traveling with young kids to go to Disneyland. I would stay here again if it was just my husband and I. For a more roomier room and family friendly environment I am still fond of Embassy Suites. The beds here at the Ayres are superb as well as the pillows. Check in was smooth as well as check out. We knew we weren't going to experience the complimentary drinks that are offered during the week because we were there over the weekend. We happened to be in Saturday evening and I inquired about the cookies which I could see behind the receptionist desk in their office. But, unfortunately they were burnt so they weren't going to serve any. I would think, they'd either make more or go out and get some? Sunday night we were in Disneyland so it was okay. The breakfast was decent.. We were hoping to try the chef's pancakes for the kids, he wasn't in on Sunday and on Monday he didn't have any. He will make Mickey Mouse Pancakes if you let him know in advance, he said. Chef Jose was very customer service friendly. Anyhow, like I said, we're going to go for a suite setting like the Embassy or Double Tree Suites because of our three kids. But, if my husband and ever need to go to the area just on our own, then we'd definitely choose the Ayres. Oh, loved the great rate, we found it on their website for less than $90 a night and appreciated the free parking.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Stayed here from September 20th thru 26th. The location of the hotel is right off the freeway and as close as you can stay to the Honda Center and Angels stadium. Front staff were good and cleaning staff did a good job as well. Morning breakfast had scrambled eggs hash browns sausage/bacon and the usual cold cereals and misc other fruits and toasts. The workout room had weights and cardio equipment and a nice clean pool/hot tub. If your looking for a hotel close to Disneyland I would look elsewhere there are plenty more closer than the Ayres. If your looking for a hotel centrally located this would be the place. Overall I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Stayed here for 4 nights and I must say I absolutely loved it. I found this hotel on Trip advisor and saw it was the number 1 hotel in Anaheim so booked it.
We were mainly there for Disneyland so yes it is a short trip on the ART and the price of $4.00 for a day pass is great.
Breakfast is great, the last morning the breakfast room was packed so had to wait but that didnt matter as I checked emails on thefree internet whilst we waited.
The rooms were fantastic.
The staff are the friendliest I came across in USA which always helps :)
Overall you should stay!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2009

stayed 4 nights for disneyland. We had 2 adults and 2 yound children. We usually stayed across from disneyland (hojo and fairfield ) for convenience of walking back for afternoon naps and taking a break from the heat. But, my friend recommended Ayres. Also, the great reviews on tripadvisor made me consider it for this trip. Although there is no shutte to disneyland, there is an Anaheim resort transit that stopped in front of hotel at 8:30 in the morning. We decided to park and pay $12 at the theme park. We paid $83 (expedia) so we figure that is a decent rate since most other hotels are charging parking fee, resort fee, breakfast, internet, fridge and microwave. These were all included at Ayres. The weekday cocktail reception at 5:30 had warm baked cookies, cold bear, some no name wine, soft drinks, and a bowl of chips/dip. Paulo even brought it out a little early so we can head back to the theme park.
As mentioned earlier, the ayres are queen ann themed decor with wood touches. The bead was comfy with lots of pillows. Our rooms were cleaned every day when we came back around 2 pm to freshen up before we head back for the parade. We really liked the small sink along with mini microwave and fridge. But it is weird how your room card controls the electricity. When we took out the room card and came back, the fridge was off. Kind of annoying.
There was plenty of parking since no events at the honda center much. The clientelle during our visit were mainly business men or at least some meeting type with name tags.
The outdoor pool was disappointing. No towels either.
Breakfast was good with scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon (rotating days), pancakes and french toast on some days. Also, cold dry stuff like cereal, bagels, etc. Also juice and milk, etc. I was hoping for waffles but none.
Overall, good clean hotel that doesn't nickel and dime you. We could have stayed closer to disneyland since this was a 5 miles drive. But, most of the hotels around disneyland are older and nickel and dime you. They even charge parking and spaces are limited and they definitely don't provide a hearty breakfast or warm cookies. So, if you are planning to park at disney anyways or going to an Angels game, stay here and get your money's worth.
Our stay would be perfect if there was some type of hotel shuttle to disneyland and better pool.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 23, 2009

I really liked this hotel but there were a few things that happened that made me not like it as much. As far as the actual hotel, rooms and breakfast...that was great! The breakfast is very good but the dining area is very small and sometimes it is difficult to find seats. It is a short drive or ART ride to Disneyland which makes it a little less convenient but all in all it is not bad.

When we arrived at the hotel around 6:00pm, the air conditioner in our room did not work. We called down to the front desk and they told us that it sometimes takes a few minutes for it to get going. We waited and waited and nothing happened, we called back to the front desk and let them know it was still not working. She told us she would have someone come up and look at it. We ended up going out to dinner and so we expected when we got back someone would have looked at it. When we got back from dinner and Downtown Disney, the air was still not on, so I went and looked at it and noticed it was unplugged! I thought that I had solved the mystery but that was not the case. It still didn't work. We called down to the front desk again and she told us she had come up and taken a look at it (what she did, I do not know, especially since she didn't even notice it was unplugged). She said they didn't have a maintenance person around and that we could either wait or switch rooms. It is now about 11:00pm, we opted to switch rooms. We moved ourselves across the hall and everything was fine...until the next night. All night long there were teenagers running up and down the halls.

I could have lived with what had happened if I would have gotten a little bit of better service or even if a manager had spoken with us. Upon check out, I asked for a discount since we had had to switch rooms and we were on a floor that had teens running all over the place (it felt like we were the only room that was not part of this large teen group). She said that they could not do that and that she would have a someone call me. She took my name and number and I am still waiting for the lady to call me...it has been several months since we were there!

Like I said, the hotel was very nice but I probably will not stay there again. It is a little farther from Disneyland and the service we received was just ok.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank dsny918
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I was impressed with the meticulous housekeeping, and extremely helpful staff. My spouse and I missed our ART bus one morning (it came earlier than scheduled), and, as it only came once an hour, the manager actually drove us to Disneyland in the hotel van so we wouldn't miss our early entry day! WOW! The location is close to the baseball stadium, which made catching a game easy.

Every morning, the complimentary breakfast was made fresh by the hotel's cook. All meals were filling and substantial. By the end of our week-long stay, we felt at home there, and the cook could predict what my husband would like to have!

I would not suggest this hotel for families planning to spend most of their time at Disneyland. It was not convienient to commute on the ART. We also had to walk about 3 km with our suitcases when we first arrived, because the shuttle bus we took from the airport was not allowed to cross county lines !? The slightly removed location also made other bus tours we took a bit longer as well. We were always first on and last off!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple