“Excellent value in an excellent location”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I stayed at the Ayres hotel when I was throwing a Bachlorette party for my best friend. The staff was extremely helpful and polite, and the room was beautiful! The beds are extremely comfy, and spacious. We had a great view of Arrowhead Pond, and the hotel, while in very close proximity to everything, was very quiet.

I will DEFINITELY be coming back to Ayres!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsBeckyS

Reviewed December 15, 2008

My husband's Christmas party was actually at Angel Stadium, strange we thought but it was nice!! This hotel is within walking distance and right off of the 57 freeway-easy to get to!! About a mile away is a movie theater with some great restaurants and Disneyland is just a few minutes away on the same street! it's also located directly across from the Honda Center (sports arena). Just across the street is a restaurant called J.T. Schmid's and although we didn't eat there, it was non-stop busy with valet parking. Our room was facing the restaurant and unlike another poster, we did not hear a thing on Friday or Saturday night.

The Ayres is a quaint and classy hotel and the rooms were very nice and EXTREMELY CLEAN!! The breakfast is great, it is not your everyday continental. They have a cook there that keeps eggs, hash browns, sausage and sometimes pancakes ready and fresh along with salsa, cheese, jalapenos. There is your standard cereals, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruit & juices as well. I am not fond of scrambled eggs but since they had salsa and cheese I chose the hot meal, I was not disappointed, the eggs were very good, not rubbery like you find at some places.

If I HAD to find something to complain about, it would only be the towels. For such a nice hotel, I would have expected a little softer towels but that is a stretch of a complaint:) Otherwise, the front desk was quick and friendly, the pool was nice and the location is great!

If we go to Anaheim again, the Ayres will be our choice!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank beachlovers4
Reviewed September 25, 2008

After reading the reviews, I decided against staying at a less expensive place and braving the parking issues, and paying a few more bucks to be closer to the Honda Center.

I was only going to be in town overnight for a special event at the Honda center, so I drove in from Vegas, straight down the 15, to 60 to 57, got off the freeway and was at the hotel in seconds. Couldn't believe how fast it was, and got there on a Saturday afternoon with no one in line to check in at 1 PM. Front Desk greeted me very friendly, checked me in, asked where I wanted to be. I said i had a bad back and being near the breakfast room would be great, and that we were only there for one quick event that evening. She was so terrific! She booked us right on the first floor, on the end of the bldg closest to the street in Rm 102, right where a door to the outside was, and our car was right outside in handicapped parking, where I could keep an eye on it and it was easy access IN and OUT of the room and hotel. There was always a whole row of handicapped spaces. And it was great too, cuz i had my young daughter with me who kept wanting everything that was still in the car. So, instead of shuffling out of a room, down an elevator and walking all the way to the car, I only had to go out my door, walk 5 steps to the car, get what I wanted and go right back to the room, and we could keep an eye on each other every second so she didn't have to go too.

When it was time to go to the Honda Center, I started out about 30 min. ahead of showtime, just went out my door, walked to the corner in about 30 steps, walked across the street, and crossed diagonally over the lot to the Will Call area on the east side of the arena, and walked right in. I wasn't rushing anywhere, and we got to Will Call in less than 5 minutes. We waited longer outside for friends to show up, then got inside in PLENTY of time.

We had also gone to a special aftershow which took us over 45 minutes to get out of, (the event was packed for the US Gymnastics Superstars event) , and people were still exiting the lots gradually when we got out. So I was really happy about only having to walk a couple hundred yards if that, back to the room.
It was tougher going up and down the stairs of the stadium than walking to the hotel, and for me, that says a lot.

we went to a late dinner over at the Cheesecake Factory with our group, and that's located on katella, just before Harbor Blvd and Disneyland. there's a California Pizza Kitchen, Roy's, PF Changs, and Bubba Gumps there. So convenient. they give you two hours free, and if you eat there, you can get validated for longer. not sure what else you'd do there, I guess there were shops, but we didn't partake. The lines are LONG at the restaurants, Cheesecake's wait was shorter than anyone else's. After everything was letting out, everyone was probably going wherver they could, to get something to eat. It was packed in every restaurant. We lucked out when someone no-showed on their large table, and I showed up at the hostess desk waiting for maybe three minutes, right when the manager was getting mad looking everywhere for this other group. So he turned around and gave me their table. Oh well, their loss was my gain - saved us a 45 min. wait. Anyhow, if you want something wonderful to eat, splurge. Cuz you can take leftovers back to the room and put it in your refrigerator. You can heat things up too, in the small microwave provided.

the room was clean, very well appointed, and had some amenities in the room. However, If you don't like or are allergic to oatbeal soap bars, you'll want to bring your own. They provided one oatmeal facial bar, and one scented soap for the bathtub area. They had an iron and a hairdryer in the room. The sinks are a little higher than usual, so it was a little hard for my daughter to get washed up, and she ended up getting all wet in her sleeping shirt. Move the chair into the area for little ones so they don't get soaked.

More hotels are starting to do the eco thing, where you put your room card into the slot to get electricity. Normally, its fine, and I concur with this policy. but the room had a scent in it. No, it didn't smell yucky, it just had a scent - like a deodorizer. My daughter said it smelled like pineapples. It was a bit stuffy in there, so you needed to have the ceiling fan on the whole time, to keep it circulating, otherwise it got warm and musty in there during the night. we had got it perfect for hanging out in less than 10 minutes, but we weren't in the room that long, and went to dinner. So, I left things on since I had an extra key, and came back to a perfect room. The only reason I realized it was warmer and stuffier in our room, was because as soon as you leave it to go into the hallway, it's cooler and the air moves around a lot since we were near the door.

You didn't hear any extra noise at all except for someone who was walking around heavy on the floor above us. Didn't bother me though, since i had already woke up and was getting ready to go home.

We got up early enough to try and catch the breakfast that they said was served til 9 AM. I rushed my daughter up and out the room so we could grab the pancakes everyone was raving about on Tripadvisor. I was SO disappointed to find out there were none. They were serving french toast on Sunday morning. But there was plenty of other things to munch on - and the muffins were really good. they're not oversized, they were regularsized, and the bacon was crunchy, sliced thin and tasted wonderful even though I wasn't especially hungry. they had eggs and hash browns and melons, along with all the cereal options. All kinds of juice and coffee were available too.

Best deal was through AAA website. Looked through Expedia, Travelocity, and almost booked direct with hotel when I remembered the AAA site. Even the hotel didn't reflect a AAA rate that low. It only saved a handful of dollars, but it's enough to justify using the AAA site since it doesn't have extra service charges, and I know its reliable. I've had things go wrong with Expedia before, so I only use it when its considerably less, and I check all the words in the agreement. If its says king or 2 doubles with them, you need to realize that sometimes they just give you a King, and it doesn't matter that you list 3 people are in your room. It wasn't a guarantee, so i've lost out before. But that was with another hotel.

The ART only went to certain places, and didn't take you straight to Disney, so I just drove there and put the car in the free lot at Downtown Disney, since I only had a couple hours to spare to hang out. we had a nice lunch there, looked around at the shops and went home. Oh, be sure to grab a big bag of caramel kettle corn while you're there. It's heaven. And you can smell it everywhere in the Downtown area. It's located in a kiosk, near the ESPN Zone. $6 for a LARGE bag, $4 for small. Mmmmm. it's addicting.

The Ayres was clean, reliable, wonderful, and I highly recommend them for their value and convenience. didnt' need to use a shuttle service, but I saw one available. Guess they take you to airport?? Not sure.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Nancy

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank nancyhi
Reviewed August 13, 2008

This is the second time we have stayed at the Ayres Hotel in Anaheim. Both times, we were very pleased with the stellar service we received. Not only did the staff exceed our expectations, but also made us feel like the hotel was our home away from home.
During our second visit to the Ayres Hotel, my husband experienced an extremely painful back injury. The Manager and the staff went out of their way to ensure that my husband had everything he needed for a comfortable recovery. We were both touched and so appreciative of the care and concern that was shown by all staff. The service was amazing, the complimentary hot breakfast was delicious, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. I would definately recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Global41
Reviewed July 16, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights largely to visit disneyland. It is approx 2 miles from the parks, but the ART bus is reasonably regular and picks up at the hotel door (no free shuttle though).

We had a double queen room which is spacious, very nicely furnished and included fridge, microwave etc. The whole ambience of the hotel is very good and it feels a lot more expensive than we paid for it.

The Breakfast is good with the usual buffet and some cooked to order items like pancakes and french toast. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall this is a great place to stay, just far enough away from the parks so you can escape a little.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mad_scotty_dog
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights because of Angel's game.
It was very nice hotel till the 2nd day.
The 3rd day, our room was not made.
I mentioned it to the front desk (young lady) and respond was I have to insert "please make a room" tag in a room key slot.
I told her they made our room without it the day before but I have to do it otherwise housekeepers bypass our room she said.
She was telling me it was my fault!
So you should insert "please make a room" tag in your room key slot everytime before going to anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
6  Thank waimanalobeach
Britvike, Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2008

I am so sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. The only time that the "Please make up my room" sign is required is when you have previously had a "Do Not Disturb" sign displayed. We have some new staff and I apologize for the way in which the situation was handled and that there was a situation at all. I hope you will reconsider returning and feel free to contact me directly if you do.

Reviewed July 3, 2008

Very nice hotel and great price. Located off the 57 freeway and across the street from the Honda Center, and 3 miles from Disneyland. Old master-style paintings and furnishings in the lobby and rooms. Free parking in front of the hotel, and free internet access in rooms and hotel lobby. GREAT free hot breakfast served daily in the dining area, and hotel was running special when I checked in, so clerk actually reduced my rate by $20. King size bed room has nice amenities of small refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, and quality bath products.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business