“Convenience was a plus” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
“Convenience was a plus”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

After reading the reviews, I decided against staying at a less expensive place and braving the parking issues, and paying a few more bucks to be closer to the Honda Center.

I was only going to be in town overnight for a special event at the Honda center, so I drove in from Vegas, straight down the 15, to 60 to 57, got off the freeway and was at the hotel in seconds. Couldn't believe how fast it was, and got there on a Saturday afternoon with no one in line to check in at 1 PM. Front Desk greeted me very friendly, checked me in, asked where I wanted to be. I said i had a bad back and being near the breakfast room would be great, and that we were only there for one quick event that evening. She was so terrific! She booked us right on the first floor, on the end of the bldg closest to the street in Rm 102, right where a door to the outside was, and our car was right outside in handicapped parking, where I could keep an eye on it and it was easy access IN and OUT of the room and hotel. There was always a whole row of handicapped spaces. And it was great too, cuz i had my young daughter with me who kept wanting everything that was still in the car. So, instead of shuffling out of a room, down an elevator and walking all the way to the car, I only had to go out my door, walk 5 steps to the car, get what I wanted and go right back to the room, and we could keep an eye on each other every second so she didn't have to go too.

When it was time to go to the Honda Center, I started out about 30 min. ahead of showtime, just went out my door, walked to the corner in about 30 steps, walked across the street, and crossed diagonally over the lot to the Will Call area on the east side of the arena, and walked right in. I wasn't rushing anywhere, and we got to Will Call in less than 5 minutes. We waited longer outside for friends to show up, then got inside in PLENTY of time.

We had also gone to a special aftershow which took us over 45 minutes to get out of, (the event was packed for the US Gymnastics Superstars event) , and people were still exiting the lots gradually when we got out. So I was really happy about only having to walk a couple hundred yards if that, back to the room.
It was tougher going up and down the stairs of the stadium than walking to the hotel, and for me, that says a lot.

we went to a late dinner over at the Cheesecake Factory with our group, and that's located on katella, just before Harbor Blvd and Disneyland. there's a California Pizza Kitchen, Roy's, PF Changs, and Bubba Gumps there. So convenient. they give you two hours free, and if you eat there, you can get validated for longer. not sure what else you'd do there, I guess there were shops, but we didn't partake. The lines are LONG at the restaurants, Cheesecake's wait was shorter than anyone else's. After everything was letting out, everyone was probably going wherver they could, to get something to eat. It was packed in every restaurant. We lucked out when someone no-showed on their large table, and I showed up at the hostess desk waiting for maybe three minutes, right when the manager was getting mad looking everywhere for this other group. So he turned around and gave me their table. Oh well, their loss was my gain - saved us a 45 min. wait. Anyhow, if you want something wonderful to eat, splurge. Cuz you can take leftovers back to the room and put it in your refrigerator. You can heat things up too, in the small microwave provided.

the room was clean, very well appointed, and had some amenities in the room. However, If you don't like or are allergic to oatbeal soap bars, you'll want to bring your own. They provided one oatmeal facial bar, and one scented soap for the bathtub area. They had an iron and a hairdryer in the room. The sinks are a little higher than usual, so it was a little hard for my daughter to get washed up, and she ended up getting all wet in her sleeping shirt. Move the chair into the area for little ones so they don't get soaked.

More hotels are starting to do the eco thing, where you put your room card into the slot to get electricity. Normally, its fine, and I concur with this policy. but the room had a scent in it. No, it didn't smell yucky, it just had a scent - like a deodorizer. My daughter said it smelled like pineapples. It was a bit stuffy in there, so you needed to have the ceiling fan on the whole time, to keep it circulating, otherwise it got warm and musty in there during the night. we had got it perfect for hanging out in less than 10 minutes, but we weren't in the room that long, and went to dinner. So, I left things on since I had an extra key, and came back to a perfect room. The only reason I realized it was warmer and stuffier in our room, was because as soon as you leave it to go into the hallway, it's cooler and the air moves around a lot since we were near the door.

You didn't hear any extra noise at all except for someone who was walking around heavy on the floor above us. Didn't bother me though, since i had already woke up and was getting ready to go home.

We got up early enough to try and catch the breakfast that they said was served til 9 AM. I rushed my daughter up and out the room so we could grab the pancakes everyone was raving about on Tripadvisor. I was SO disappointed to find out there were none. They were serving french toast on Sunday morning. But there was plenty of other things to munch on - and the muffins were really good. they're not oversized, they were regularsized, and the bacon was crunchy, sliced thin and tasted wonderful even though I wasn't especially hungry. they had eggs and hash browns and melons, along with all the cereal options. All kinds of juice and coffee were available too.

Best deal was through AAA website. Looked through Expedia, Travelocity, and almost booked direct with hotel when I remembered the AAA site. Even the hotel didn't reflect a AAA rate that low. It only saved a handful of dollars, but it's enough to justify using the AAA site since it doesn't have extra service charges, and I know its reliable. I've had things go wrong with Expedia before, so I only use it when its considerably less, and I check all the words in the agreement. If its says king or 2 doubles with them, you need to realize that sometimes they just give you a King, and it doesn't matter that you list 3 people are in your room. It wasn't a guarantee, so i've lost out before. But that was with another hotel.

The ART only went to certain places, and didn't take you straight to Disney, so I just drove there and put the car in the free lot at Downtown Disney, since I only had a couple hours to spare to hang out. we had a nice lunch there, looked around at the shops and went home. Oh, be sure to grab a big bag of caramel kettle corn while you're there. It's heaven. And you can smell it everywhere in the Downtown area. It's located in a kiosk, near the ESPN Zone. $6 for a LARGE bag, $4 for small. Mmmmm. it's addicting.

The Ayres was clean, reliable, wonderful, and I highly recommend them for their value and convenience. didnt' need to use a shuttle service, but I saw one available. Guess they take you to airport?? Not sure.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Nancy

• Liked — Being close to the Honda Center and still being a high quality place next to a freeway
  • Disliked — Upon first entry into room, it was musty with the air and fans off. OK once its on.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank nancyhi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2008

This is the second time we have stayed at the Ayres Hotel in Anaheim. Both times, we were very pleased with the stellar service we received. Not only did the staff exceed our expectations, but also made us feel like the hotel was our home away from home.
During our second visit to the Ayres Hotel, my husband experienced an extremely painful back injury. The Manager and the staff went out of their way to ensure that my husband had everything he needed for a comfortable recovery. We were both touched and so appreciative of the care and concern that was shown by all staff. The service was amazing, the complimentary hot breakfast was delicious, and the rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. I would definately recommend this hotel!

• Liked — The rooms, the location, the hot complimentary breakfast, and most of all, the stellar service!!
  • Disliked — Nothing. Everything was perfect!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank Global41
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights largely to visit disneyland. It is approx 2 miles from the parks, but the ART bus is reasonably regular and picks up at the hotel door (no free shuttle though).

We had a double queen room which is spacious, very nicely furnished and included fridge, microwave etc. The whole ambience of the hotel is very good and it feels a lot more expensive than we paid for it.

The Breakfast is good with the usual buffet and some cooked to order items like pancakes and french toast. The staff were friendly and helpful. Overall this is a great place to stay, just far enough away from the parks so you can escape a little.

• Liked — nice rooms, great breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mad_scotty_dog
hawaii
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights because of Angel's game.
It was very nice hotel till the 2nd day.
The 3rd day, our room was not made.
I mentioned it to the front desk (young lady) and respond was I have to insert "please make a room" tag in a room key slot.
I told her they made our room without it the day before but I have to do it otherwise housekeepers bypass our room she said.
She was telling me it was my fault!
So you should insert "please make a room" tag in your room key slot everytime before going to anywhere.

• Liked — a room
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank waimanalobeach
Britvike, Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, July 21, 2008
I am so sorry that your experience was not as it should have been. The only time that the "Please make up my room" sign is required is when you have previously had a "Do Not Disturb" sign displayed. We have some new staff and I apologize for the way in which the situation was handled and that there was a situation at all. I hope you will reconsider returning and feel free to contact me directly if you do.
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

Very nice hotel and great price. Located off the 57 freeway and across the street from the Honda Center, and 3 miles from Disneyland. Old master-style paintings and furnishings in the lobby and rooms. Free parking in front of the hotel, and free internet access in rooms and hotel lobby. GREAT free hot breakfast served daily in the dining area, and hotel was running special when I checked in, so clerk actually reduced my rate by $20. King size bed room has nice amenities of small refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, and quality bath products.

• Liked — Free internet access, hot breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank COGAL1
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

We stayed 6 nights here because my husband was attending a conference at the convention center. The hotel is a European boutique hotel. I guess that means lots of Queen Ann looking furnishings and pictures on the wall. We paid $120.00 a night for a nice size room with two queen beds, a table with 2 chair, a desk with chair, tv amoir and a leather recliner. The room had a wet bar with sink, mini refrig., microwave, coffee pot. We never used the swimming pool, it looked quite small but I think it was heated. The exercise room had a treadmill, one exercise bike and one stair climber.
They had free internet access and newspaper. The complimentary breakfast was nice, it was cooked fresh and had a large variety of hot food and fresh fruit. On the weekdays from 5:30-6:30 they had a manager's reception with wine, beer, juice, sodas, chips, hot cookies.
The lobby was small but quite attractive and comfortable. On each floor was a laundry with one washer and one dryer for guest use.
The hotel looks brand new. The staff was friendly .
Be wary of relocating the water bottles on the wet bar. We were charged $8.00 when we did so, even though we did not consume the water.
We had checked prices at the Hilton, DoubleTree, Embassy Suites. I think the Ayres is a much better bargin if you don't need a giant looby or restaurants on site. The location is good, right across the street from the Honda center. A trolly stops at the hotel every 30 minutes and you can ride it all day for $3.00. It has easy access to the freeway and is about 3 miles from the convention center. I would probable stay here again if coming to Anaheim.

• Liked — Value, cleanliness, attractive, location, complimentary bkf.
  • Disliked — Too much Queen Ann
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank pavari
Monmouth, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Ayres Hotel for two nights in June. The hotel is a 10-minute drive from the parking garage at Disneyland (it takes about 45 minutes to drive, park and take the tram to the ticket booth). The pool was warm, the room was big (with a microwave and refrigerator), and the chef made pancakes that looked like Mickey Mouse for my kids. I forgot my eyeglasses, but they were promptly shipped to me at no charge.
Great service!

• Liked — Comfortable room and friendly service.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family