“Nice for the price”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 30, 2008

The Good:

The decor is very nice and the hotel seemed very clean. The rooms are pretty large and include a sink, microwave and fridge. You also get high speed internet and a hot breakfast. Rooms are quiet, I never heard my neighbors nor any traffic outside. The bed was very, very comfortable. You also get a coffeemaker with some decent coffee. The staff (with the exception of the front desk people) were very friendly and concerned with me enjoying in my stay. The hotel is only a 5-10 minute drive to Disneyland and the shuttle also stops there. We got an early check in without any problems.

The Bad:
The front desk staff was very cold. Upon checking in, the girl seemed exasperated, like we were taking time out of her day. We were never greeted by the front desk entering or exiting the hotel. We asked someone at the front desk about the ART bus to Disneyland and she didn't know anything about it. She gave us a brochure and some false information and sent us on our way. The hot breakfast isn't very good. The bacon was so thin it shatters when you pick it up and everything served is low quality, but it's free. There's no Disney channel and whenever you turn on the TV it's programmed to Fox News and the volume is quite loud.

The bad things about the hotel shouldn't deter you from staying here. We liked it despite these setbacks and I included them only as forewarning. This hotel was very nice and close to the freeway. The bed was so nice I didn't even miss my bed at home. This was a good hotel and a fraction of the cost of staying at a Disneyland hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Ayres Hotel Anaheim

Reviewed April 20, 2008

After searching hotels I went off the reviews of other travelers and this Hotel was the one that had the best reviews and they weren't lying. We were a total of 4 , including 2 kids. I was afraid that it was going to be like any other hotel were my children were going to wind up wanting to go back home but they loved it. As soon as you enter, the front desk clerk made me feel welcomed he immediately checked us in, he was also very nice to put is in a room so that we would be able to see the firwork show from Disneyland. The rooms are very roomy and extremely clean, housekeeping is done daily. Their beds are so comfy which was a big plus for us. The hotel is right off the freeway so we thought we were going to hear all the midnight traffic but as soon as you lay on them you won't wake up till the morning. Disneyland is about a 10 min drive and the entrance to freeways are right around the corner so you have easy access to just about anywere you want to go. Their breakfast services are amazing, eggs, bacon, sausage and pancakes and much more. They also offer you complimentary evening snacks which we enjoyed. In all we were very satisfied with their full services, from now on this will be the only place my family and I will be staying at, it is well worth it(Keep of the wonderful services!!).

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank ericamrtnz
Reviewed April 10, 2008

My husband and I, along with our two children ages 4 and 1 recently spent 10 days at the Ayres. We are seasoned travellers and had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. It has ample parking out front and the location is particularly convienient if you are attending something at the Honda Center. We were there mostly to do Disneyland and it was an easy 10 minute drive.

The hotel includes a full breakfast. It consisted of scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, sausage or bacon (alternating days), toast, bagels, fresh fruit, juices, coffee and milk. Jose cooks up fresh pancakes upon order. Jose is the best, get to know him and he will tell you some great stories!

We stayed in a room with two beds on the fourth floor. It was very spacious. It had a desk where they offer free internet access and a leather reclining chair. The hotel seems well kept, clean and new. The housekeeping did a good job everyday. The rooms also have an extra sink, microwave, mini fridge with a small freezer and a coffee maker.

There is an outdoor swimming pool with hot tub but we did not use it as it was too cold.

We would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to any of our friends visiting the Disneyland area. The traffic could get a bit busy on nights when there was an event at the Honda Center or Angels Stadium, but it wasn't too bad. We have also stayed at the Embassy Suites and Residence Inn in the Disneyland Resort area and this hotel is nicer, better kept and quieter. Don't hesitate to stay here, it's a great place!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We decided to stay at Ayres because of the reviews on this website as well as the great rates we received from the hotel ($109/night). After our long 15 hour flight from Australia we were thankful for our clean, comfortable, large rooms at Ayres!

The hotel is located a fair distance from anything in Anaheim (except for the Duck Pond and Anaheim Angels Stadium), but if you have a car or are willing to catch cabs or the local trolley, you'll be fine. We caught the trolley to Disneyland on the first day and it was quite convenient. The cab ride back to the hotel was inexpensive.

There are lots of restaurants nearby on Katella, including Cheesecake Factory, Bubba Gump Shrimp and a PF Changs was opening as well. There are also lots of fast foods options as well.

This hotel has laundry facilities which is always helpful. The free internet was great, as was the free breakfast. The chef who made our pancakes and eggs to order each morning was very friendly and enquired about the rest of our group when he hadn't seen them each morning. He even came to say goodbye to us as we left on our last morning - nice personal touch. There is also a small gym on the premises and a pool (which we didn't use as it was too cold).

I would highly recommend this hotel to families with older kids or couples travelling on their own. It is nice to be so close to Disneyland without having kids running around the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Emma1975
Reviewed February 17, 2008

SInce I don't have a car I usually stay at a very nearby hotel from the venue I'm going to. This one is as close to the Honda Center as you can possibly be, and a couple minutes walk to the Grove or Angel Stadium. No-inhouse reataurant but pleanty of dining options nearby; plus there's an empty refrigerator and a microvave to bring your own food/snacks and heat them up if desired. Plus there's a free complimentary breakfast each day. Nothing fancy but pleanty to get you up and going for the day. I stayed here for a show at the Pond (Honda Center) back in December and am staying here again in April for another concert.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel before and have not ever been disappointed. The staff is nice and the facilites are clean. The rooms were clean and well appointed. My only complaint was that the hairdryer was not working. I loved the free WiFi and HBO too! There is a nice complimentary cookie/beverage bash in the lobby in the early evenings. The breakfast is a nice continental style but also includes scrambled eggs, bacon, and french toast. This is a nice place to stay and is across the street from the Honda Arena and close to Angel's Stadium...

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank Randy817
Reviewed January 2, 2008

RESERVATIONS: This is where my story starts.

Our family had 2 tragic deaths occur, so we found ourselves trying to make reservations for the New Year's Eve weekend/week in the Anaheim area to get down to the funerals.

Most places I called were booked and the ones that weren't, well...they were very expensive. I called the Ayres and spoke with Susan, the manager. It turned out that we would have to switch rooms during our stay, which was no big deal for us. However, I was crying from all the sadness and stress of our loss and Susan said, "You don't need anymore added stress and I don't want you to move rooms during your stay, so, I am going to give you the 2 room/2 king bed suite for the same price as a 2 queen room."

I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! I thought I misunderstood her. But, I had not. I couldn't imagine things getting any better, but they did...

CHECK-IN: We arrived...tired and weepy! Antone, the front desk clerk, could not do enough for us. He was effecient, friendly and kind. Check-in was fast. He said if there was anything we needed, all we had to do was ask. (During our stay, I discovered that all the front desk clerks were aware of the reason for our visit....the funerals. All the employees were very kind to us.)

ROOMS: We had the suite...it was magnificent. Roomy, comfortable, beautifully appointed. Soft beds, down blankets, cozy sheets. Plenty of extra blanets and pillows. Wonderful tub/showers. Everything was top-notch in this room. The beds are beautiful.

FOOD: They provided delicious breakfasts in the morning with fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, cereal, hash browns, instant oatmeal, fresh bagels w/all the fixin's...the list goes on. We were amazed at the quality of a free breakfast that would have cost us about $10 a person to eat a restaurant.

They offered fresh baked cookies, chips, guacamole, and drinks at night.

OVERALL HOTEL: This place is beautiful. It is well-appointed, clean and comfortable. I was quite surprised at the reasonable prices for the 2-queen bed room. We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but there were quite a few people hanging out there on a cold December night. Rooms facing Disneyland offer a view of the evening fireworks, but there is some residual freeway noise.
There's a Hooters restaurant up the street, but we didn't see much else until we got closer to Disneyland. We go to Disneyland 4 times a year and this hotel is a little further away then most of the others. BUT, if you aren't into the Disney crowds and don't mind driving there, this would be the place to stay.

We absolutely loved the Ayres Hotel and have already begun recommending it. It is a wonderful boutique hotel that has so much to offer, but it is their staff that is the shining start. Over our 4 night stay, we watched as the employees treated every customer as if they were special. It seemed as if every employee had a ready smile and willing spirit. How rare it is to find such service in a hotel, much less anywhere else. But, my biggest thank you goes to Susan. She added sunshine to a very dreary time in our lives. THANK YOU!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family