“An Ayres Hotel Fan, But Not The Anaheim Location”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
Paso Robles Wine Region, California
“An Ayres Hotel Fan, But Not The Anaheim Location”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have stayed at a number of Ayres Hotels in Orange County, CA, and while I have enjoyed most of my stays, the Anaheim location is the least desireable. This was my third time at the Anaheim location, however the first time I have used some of their amenities. The interior lobby is always kept neat and attractive, as are most of the public areas. The rooms, however, appear to be aging, evidenced by damaged bath fixtures and cracked floor tiles. The last room I stayed in had some type of plumbing pipe sticking through the shower wall, with no useful purpose. I had not yet enjoyed the complimentary breakfast at this location and was disappointed to discover that this location does not offer "cooked to order omelets", as do their other of locations where I have stayed. The guest services director told me that they did not employ an "omelet chef", yet they still had a "chef" standing over a very large grill cooking eggs, bacon, and potatoes. My greatest concern with this location was their business arrangement with the Anaheim Resort Transportation (ART) system. The hotel will not provide guests with transportation to local attractions, but will sell you a ticket to use a shuttle bus run by ART. They charge the guest $5.00 per pass, roundtrip. I bought one, but was suprised to note, after boarding the bus, that, as a senior citizen, I could have purchased the same rountrip ticket for $2.00, a fare which is clearly posted on the bus meter. I would certainly return to an Ayres Hotel on my next visit, but not the Anaheim location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravelinInaDavlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We too chose the Ayres Anaheim as it was the top rated hotel but it is really just middle of the road in our books. The hotel is nice with larger than average rooms which are clean & modern and the ammenities are well kept. The breakfast offered a varied selection of hot & cold items however, it ends at 9am which is a little early for our liking. They also offer an evening reception during the week which we were not able to take advantage of. While it is close to Disneyland (about a 6 mins drive to the Toy Story parking lots), there are plenty of same level hotels within walking distance which would save you the $ on parking at the park. Our only true complaint with the hotel is the plumbing in the bathroom which kept chaning from scalding hot to freezing cold during the shower (ok for an adult to deal with, not so good for kids & also not really a relaxing way to start your vacation day) and it's the reason we would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Lisa R
AyresMgr, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your positive comments about the cleanliness of the rooms and how well kept the property is. I have shared the comments with our housekeeping staff.
I am sorry that you found the breakfast to shut a little early. We do extend our hours during the peak seasons in the knowledge that Disneyland shuts at midnight, but we have much less demand on weekdays during off-season. It is certainly worth review and I will be checking to see how many people are coming to breakfast between 8.30 and 9.00. Our weekend hours are always 7am until 10am.
I am afraid that you were unfortunate with the shower. Within the shower there is a mixer that must have malfunctioned. It happens very rarely and is easy to replace. I am sorry that we did not address this for you. Please believe me that a shower functioning in this way is not an acceptable state of affairs. Please do let me know which room you were in so we can have it addressed right away.
I hope you will reconsider returning and that we will have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience in the future.

All the best,

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Average hotel. We stayed here for one night and visited Disneyland. Its just a few miles drive to the park and is right off the expressway, so it was convenient for our trip. Parking was free and the hotel was quiet. The decor and rooms could use some renovation, but the bed was newer and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear db1985,

I was disappointed to read that we had not met your expectations, and that you found the hotel to be just OK. I am glad that you found the bed comfortable. You are right, the beds are very new, as is much of the room, including the desk, the desk chair, the fridge, microwave, phones, dresser, and TV. I am concerned that you felt the room needed renovation and would be curious to know which room it was. We do have an active preventative maintenance program to keep on top of any issues, so we are particularly keen to address any wear and tear that has detrimentally affected a guest stay. I would very much appreciate your response to my private message providing the room number that you stayed in, so that we can address any wear and tear in the room that might have been missed.

Please accept my apologies for your experience and my hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.

Best regards,

Colorado
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We just stayed at the Ayres Hotel Anaheim because it was ranked #1 in Tripadvisor. Seriously? What a very average hotel! When we checked in we weren't even told that you had to put your room key in a slot to turn on the power in the room so I had to call down to the desk right away. We were never told about the code for the wifi and had to call down again. Went to the hot tub and all the towels were gone, had to go to desk again. We were woken up at 6:00 am with a wake up call that we did not set. The toilet did not work, had to call down again. The elevators were horribly slow. The line for food in the morning was atrocious. My husband asked me why in the world did I book this "dump" and I had to answer that it was ranked #1 on Tripadvisor. This is the first time that I have been disappointed with a hotel that has ranked so high.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marla R
Dear Mygx470,

I am so very sorry that you had such a very disappointing experience staying at our hotel. I am so sorry that we did not explain the energy saving mechanism. We typically do, so this was definitely the exception and not the rule. I am sorry about the wifi code confusion. At the time you stayed there was no code requirement. I am so sorry that we did not have the towels stocked at the pool. We keep the towels for the pool in the Fitness Center in two racks. I was surprised to find that there were none. However there is a phone if you do need anything while at the pool, that will dial directly to the front desk. I am sorry that you were frustrated by the line in the morning for the hot freshly cooked breakfast. I am afraid that we do have a lot of demand on our breakfast at particular times in the morning.

With regards to your comments and those of your husband related to our position on Tripadvisor, I believe I should explain the nature of the site. We do not place ourselves in this position. This is purely based on our customer's opinions. We receive similar results on the online travel agent websites too. However what I would also point out is that the place on Tripadvisor is not like a star rating. A high popularity rating does not also mean 5 star services and resort amenities. The guests that rate the hotel highly are looking for a comfy bed, a clean, pleasantly decorated room and a hearty breakfast. You were unfortunate in many aspects of your stay, but our level of service and amenities is typically consistent.

With best regards,

Warrnambool, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here as part of our Disneyland leg of our LA experience. Large room, comfortable bed and informative, helpful staff complete the package. No bar or restaurant but they cater for breakfast which is plentiful and typically 'American'. Plenty of nearby bars and food outlets including Hooters! Disneyland only a 15 minute shuttle bus away.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blueshark_m4ko
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We picked the Ayres Anaheim because it was number one on tripadvisor.
The hotel was clean. The staff were wonderful and helpful. I loved the complimentary breakfast and took my son down every morning we were there. The housekeeping staff did an awesome job. The room was always clean when we came back to it no matter how short or long we were gone.
We had very few sound issues. The only one I can think of was on the weekend we were there a wedding party was staying at the hotel and they were pretty noisy. We were also in town for a wedding, so we understand celebrations can get loud. I think the only reason we heard them was because they were RIGHT next door and screaming. I never heard any noise otherwise from any of the guest rooms above, below, or next to us.
After I checked in, there was a lady that almost followed me into my room the first time I went into it. The door was shutting and she straight up opened it and almost walked in. She quickly apologized and shut the door. People are weird, what can I say.
The reason I didn't give it a 5 was because of two issues. 1st, someone kept changing the temp on the A/C. The Ayres has this wonderful set up where you can take your room key and shut off and on the power in the room. We always shut it off when we left and turned it back on when we got back. But someone still turned the A/C up to 80 everytime they came in the room. It was a little annoying, but not a deal breaker. The second issue was that we called down 3 times for foam pillows since my sister has a feather allergy. But we didn't get them until the last night. She woke up with a swollen eyes after the first night. The hotel was booked the weekend we were there for an event at the honda center, so we understood that they might not have any available. That being said, I wish someone would have told us one way or the other if they were available or not.
Some minor things I ran into were that there was a guy hanging around the pools outside the gate that creeped me out. Maybe adding some privacy there would be nice. The pools had a couple bugs in them, but that happens sometimes, so it wasn't a big issue for me.
The shuttle service was a great idea. We didn't use it because with three of us going to Disneyland, 2 dollars difference between parking and shuttle made deciding to drive just seem like a better idea because it allowed us some freedom.
We were on the third floor looking over the intersection just outside the honda center and at night the neon light signs would flood the room with green light. The black out curtains helped alot but a little light would always seem to creep in through the crack between them. Adding some weight to the bottom of the curtains or some way to connect them might take care of that issue all together.
I would stay here again. Like I said, great service and a great value.
The biggest issue we had were the pillows since my sister had an allergy. I wish there had been better follow up.
We loved our stay. I know I listed a bunch of issues, but don't let that distract from the good job this hotel does overall.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side if you plan to swim so you don't have to walk through the halls as much.