“Don't know what all the fuss is about!”

Ayres Hotel Anaheim
Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We just stayed at the Ayres Hotel Anaheim because it was ranked #1 in Tripadvisor. Seriously? What a very average hotel! When we checked in we weren't even told that you had to put your room key in a slot to turn on the power in the room so I had to call down to the desk right away. We were never told about the code for the wifi and had to call down again. Went to the hot tub and all the towels were gone, had to go to desk again. We were woken up at 6:00 am with a wake up call that we did not set. The toilet did not work, had to call down again. The elevators were horribly slow. The line for food in the morning was atrocious. My husband asked me why in the world did I book this "dump" and I had to answer that it was ranked #1 on Tripadvisor. This is the first time that I have been disappointed with a hotel that has ranked so high.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marla R
AyresMgr, General Manager at Ayres Hotel Anaheim, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Mygx470,

I am so very sorry that you had such a very disappointing experience staying at our hotel. I am so sorry that we did not explain the energy saving mechanism. We typically do, so this was definitely the exception and not the rule. I am sorry about the wifi code confusion. At the time you stayed there was no code requirement. I am so sorry that we did not have the towels stocked at the pool. We keep the towels for the pool in the Fitness Center in two racks. I was surprised to find that there were none. However there is a phone if you do need anything while at the pool, that will dial directly to the front desk. I am sorry that you were frustrated by the line in the morning for the hot freshly cooked breakfast. I am afraid that we do have a lot of demand on our breakfast at particular times in the morning.

With regards to your comments and those of your husband related to our position on Tripadvisor, I believe I should explain the nature of the site. We do not place ourselves in this position. This is purely based on our customer's opinions. We receive similar results on the online travel agent websites too. However what I would also point out is that the place on Tripadvisor is not like a star rating. A high popularity rating does not also mean 5 star services and resort amenities. The guests that rate the hotel highly are looking for a comfy bed, a clean, pleasantly decorated room and a hearty breakfast. You were unfortunate in many aspects of your stay, but our level of service and amenities is typically consistent.

With best regards,

Marcus Collins

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed here as part of our Disneyland leg of our LA experience. Large room, comfortable bed and informative, helpful staff complete the package. No bar or restaurant but they cater for breakfast which is plentiful and typically 'American'. Plenty of nearby bars and food outlets including Hooters! Disneyland only a 15 minute shuttle bus away.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blueshark_m4ko
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We picked the Ayres Anaheim because it was number one on tripadvisor.
The hotel was clean. The staff were wonderful and helpful. I loved the complimentary breakfast and took my son down every morning we were there. The housekeeping staff did an awesome job. The room was always clean when we came back to it no matter how short or long we were gone.
We had very few sound issues. The only one I can think of was on the weekend we were there a wedding party was staying at the hotel and they were pretty noisy. We were also in town for a wedding, so we understand celebrations can get loud. I think the only reason we heard them was because they were RIGHT next door and screaming. I never heard any noise otherwise from any of the guest rooms above, below, or next to us.
After I checked in, there was a lady that almost followed me into my room the first time I went into it. The door was shutting and she straight up opened it and almost walked in. She quickly apologized and shut the door. People are weird, what can I say.
The reason I didn't give it a 5 was because of two issues. 1st, someone kept changing the temp on the A/C. The Ayres has this wonderful set up where you can take your room key and shut off and on the power in the room. We always shut it off when we left and turned it back on when we got back. But someone still turned the A/C up to 80 everytime they came in the room. It was a little annoying, but not a deal breaker. The second issue was that we called down 3 times for foam pillows since my sister has a feather allergy. But we didn't get them until the last night. She woke up with a swollen eyes after the first night. The hotel was booked the weekend we were there for an event at the honda center, so we understood that they might not have any available. That being said, I wish someone would have told us one way or the other if they were available or not.
Some minor things I ran into were that there was a guy hanging around the pools outside the gate that creeped me out. Maybe adding some privacy there would be nice. The pools had a couple bugs in them, but that happens sometimes, so it wasn't a big issue for me.
The shuttle service was a great idea. We didn't use it because with three of us going to Disneyland, 2 dollars difference between parking and shuttle made deciding to drive just seem like a better idea because it allowed us some freedom.
We were on the third floor looking over the intersection just outside the honda center and at night the neon light signs would flood the room with green light. The black out curtains helped alot but a little light would always seem to creep in through the crack between them. Adding some weight to the bottom of the curtains or some way to connect them might take care of that issue all together.
I would stay here again. Like I said, great service and a great value.
The biggest issue we had were the pillows since my sister had an allergy. I wish there had been better follow up.
We loved our stay. I know I listed a bunch of issues, but don't let that distract from the good job this hotel does overall.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side if you plan to swim so you don't have to walk through the halls as much.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank facesofangels
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Free wi fi, free excellent breakfast (home fries were soooo good), free parking and rooms with plenty of space and comfy beds with mini fridge and microwave. We drove to Disney Toy Story lot every day (we had free parking and was less than 10 minutes) and it was awesome. Will definitely stay here again when we go to Disneyland. I was worried about Angels traffic but we had no issue. Room 438 overlooked the pool and had excellent wi fi.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AzScrapbookingmom
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Ayres Hotel for four nights and thought it was lovely. Staff were very helpful in providing directions to area attractions and the hot breakfast was a great way to get the day started.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gbrophy
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our stay at The Ayres Hotel Anaheim was based solely on the reports from Trip Advisor and we were not let down. What a great place, rooms beautiful and spacious staff friendly and caring the whole package was brilliant. Have to say tha ART buses were terrific to Disneyland and even allowed us extra freedom to shop at the outlets without getting lost.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susan B
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Ayers hotel is one of the best in the disney area, it will exceeds all of your expectations, we stayed for 7 nights and enjoyed it. The breakfast is cooked to order if you want or you can have eggs, potatoes, bacon or sasuage, pancakes, or french toast. Of course you get all the extras like OJ and toast etc. The rooms are good size and super clean as well as all of the other areas of the Hotel. All the employees are great! they make you feel at home and never once were unpleasant. Even the maids were smiling and you could tell that managment treats their people right.

The pool is a bit small but adequate, and the jucuzzi was good as well. We will be back to this hotel in the future. One small drawback is that you will need a car to go to a resturant other than one that is accossed the street ( a pub) family friendly and very good food!. Parking is free so the car option is wallet friendly. The ART shuttle took us to Disney on the top of the hour, It is route 15 and therefore only stops once an hour, but this was ok for us.

The hotel even accepted a handicap scooter we rented and held it behind the front desk until we arrived from the airport, the ART shuttle has a lift that takes the scooter whenever we went to Disney.

Thanks to all the front desk people (did not remember their names) for all the excellent service.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main road its quiter
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family