“Excellent location; relatively aged rooms; service has room to improve.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area

Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area
Ranked #29 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Beijing, China
“Excellent location; relatively aged rooms; service has room to improve.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter, wife and I stayed at this propery in August of 2013. We stayed a total of 4 nights. Our overall experience was positive. Breakfast is good but also filled with people. Room is relatively older than we had anticipated. Service is adequate but can be improved. I guess when you deal with so many people, it is hard to get your service up to a certain standard. Location wise, this place is awesome. It is very close to Disneyland and shuttle stop is just a few steps away from entrance.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Richard S, Manager at Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I understand your concern with the age of the property and we are planning a large renovation in the next couple of years, however we have had a number of improvements this year. This year alone we received flat screen televisions with HD programming, new table and floor lighting, sofa sleepers, sofa/kitchen chairs, new carpet throughout the common areas, etc.

It does concern me that you had issues with the service. We pride ourselves on customer service and it is reflected in many of our reviews. I have sent you a private message in order to gather more details. Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Indonesian first
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a good quality Staybridge Suites. We have rented a two bedroom suite three times now in the past three years for our summer Disney trips. Rooms are large, full kitchen, three TV's (1 in each bedroom and 1 in the livingroom area). We were 5 people in the room and it felt like plenty of space. Clean, well equipped and you get free breakfast (but get there early - its a mad rush anytime after 7am every day we were there)..... great for families or sports teams. Would stay again (and we have!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CharmChari
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Spacious, clean, kids room with bunk beds, kitchen and dining table. On site laundry and daily breakfast. Starbucks next door! Nice size pool. Close to Disney. Really cute shop in lobby, great friendly staff. Especially the night front desk guy! We had a large white with 10 that was blocking the entrance a bit as we unloaded, another guest made a really huge issue of the situation, staff member was very diplomatic and professional! His understanding was really appreciated. Will stay here again next time we pass through!

1 Thank juststrange
Standish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed at this great hotel for three nights and we were delighted with it.Nice rooms,good breakfast and outstanding staff.
Pam on Front Desk gave us excellent advice concerning Disneyland and the perfect time to arrive there.In fact we had done many rides in the quiet time before 10 a.m. And we could return to the hotel in the afternoon to regroup before more fun at the Park in the evening.
We will certainly stay here next time we visit.

Room Tip: Catch the 7.20 shuttle to arrive at Disneyland early.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve M
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Whenever I travel to this area for business, I usually pick this hotel. The prices are always reasonable and the Staybridge Suites always offers the most for the money. From the free breakfast to the "manager's reception" during the middle of the week - and don't forget the free laundry service - I'm always happy to stay here. The hotel is quiet and well maintained. The staff is friendly. I don't usually take advantage of the shuttle as I usually have my own vehicle. It's also very centrally located for all my business needs.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Beth K
Pittsburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

After much consideration and debate, my wife and I decided to spend this year's Disneyland vacation at the Staybridge Suites Anaheim. In making this choice, we were deciding for my entire family which, in addition to my wife and I, included my parents as well as my sister, her husband, and her large family that includes 5 kids. The hotel appeared to be close to the parks with easy access to the 5 freeway should we decide to visit other parts of Southern California. The location is fine, though it's a little further than it might appear due its location on a one way road. The staff is friendly and efficient at check-in, the grounds well-manicured, and the pool adequate (as it's shared with the large Holiday Inn that's part of the same complex), but there are better choices available nearby with the same if not better amenities. Some reasons why:

We found the breakfast and the area that it's served in to be almost unacceptable. Yes, it's "free," but for the room rate we paid each of our 6 nights there are better hotel options that offer better quality and more choices for breakfast, and, more importantly, a breakfast area that's easier to use and navigate. (The Embassy Suites hotels in the area--either South or especially North--immediately come to mind.) Choices include eggs (scrambled and hard-boiled), sausage or (poor quality) bacon, waffles, a variety of bread, bagels and muffins, yogurt, and a few fruit choices. We only saw potatoes on two of our six mornings. Most of it is just OK. Other reviewers reported "plenty of tables," etc., however that was not our experience. When my wife and I, parents, and a couple of my sister's kids tried to visit breakfast together, we always had difficulty finding a table and enough chairs to accommodate our group. Navigating the small, poorly designed service area itself is nearly impossible during peak times. Our first morning, when just my wife and I came for breakfast, the two of us searched for a table for so long I actually went back to my room after eating to search for a different hotel for our stay. (Yes, it was that frustrating. Fortunately or unfortunately my wife put a stop to that idea.) When we finally did sit down, I returned to the service area to get a couple things I couldn't carry in the first trip, but the staff had already placed the "chains" on the service area and almost refused to let me back in, claiming curtly, "We close at 9:30, sir." I had to explain the issue with finding a table to get her to relent and let me back in, but she did so reluctantly. Some guests chose to avoid the chaos of the seating area by taking their food back to their rooms, but with exceedingly slow elevators and a near constant line to use them in the morning, that option was difficult as well.

We enjoyed having a full size refrigerator and equipped kitchen during our stay, but the room layout is poor, and the rooms themselves are decidedly on the small side in this class. My sister and her family actually had to ask the front desk to have furniture removed from the room to accommodate them. Even for just my wife and I, getting ready in the morning for a visit to the parks was difficult. We appreciate the sink being outside of the bathroom, but having a large bathroom door that opens out into the already tiny sink and closet area makes getting ready very difficult. (A pocket door would be a much better choice.) We had to "dance" around this small area of the room each morning, and it was frustrating at best. Apologies for the lack of pictures, but look closely at this area in the photos posted by other reviewers and decide for yourself if this layout will work for you.

We did enjoy the manager's reception once that they offer a few nights a week. We didn't experience any issues with noise on the 6th floor in our Disney-facing room, and we did enjoy watching some of the fireworks from our room on our first night, but for the money, there are simply better hotels that offer a better breakfast, better rooms, and more than just an "average" overall experience in the area. On future trips to the area (all the way from Pittsburgh, PA), we'll return to those hotels.

Room Tip: Sign up for the rewards program. Ask for a Disney-facing room on a high floor to see the fireworks...
2 Thank eibzz121
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Anaheim - Resort Area, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear eibzz121,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the popularity and available sections of the breakfast prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked our trip at the Staybridge Suites Anaheim because it seemed reasonably close to Disneyland and because we figured we might as well splurge to get enough space for all of us and earn some points at the same time. We spent four nights there, and it was well with it. First, the location, while not as close to Disneyland as we'd hoped, is actually fine. It's just far enough away that you're not in the middle of the Disney chaos. It's a short drive to Disney parking, which, depending on how big your group is, may well be easier and cost less than taking the Anaheim transit thing. Also, it's a really easy trip to the 5 or the 405, or several useful surface streets, which made it a surprisingly good base for day adventures as distant from each other as a Burbank studio tour, the Santa Monica Pier, or the beaches and whale watching opportunities of Dana Point. I liked being so close to the baseball stadium, although we did not go to a game. It's also super easy to drive to any number of decent chain restaurants if you don't feel like dealing with the kitchen.

Speaking of food, the free breakfast was okay. Each day there were okay scrambled eggs plus either bacon or sausage, and usually some kind potato. There are lots of tables in the dining area, or it's fine to take food up to the room. There are also juice, coffee, milk, and soda dispensers, a toaster, dry cereal, etc. The buffet area is crowded (the layout for foot traffic is a little weird) but hey, it's free. There are many nearby options if the buffet doesn't suit you (Denny's, Starbucks, Del Taco, etc.).

As for the rest of the hotel experience... The rooms are bigger than we'd thought - my person and I had plenty of space in our bedroom and bathroom (we only dickered a little over our small closet) and my twin Tweens had lots of room in their room and bathroom. There's a nice little living room which was fairly comfortable for watching a DVD, even when half our group fell asleep in front of the tv. The dining table was small but not awful, and the kitchen itself was decently appointed - stove top, a regular sized refrigerator, an actual coffee maker, a microwave, etc. I saw other reviews that complained about noise, but I didn't really notice that. Our room looked out I've the pool area, so there was often a lot of splashing and squealing, but that seems par for the course. In terms of interior noise we barely ever heard anyone else, except for a few occasions when an especially loud large group passed our door.

The elevators are NOT fast, and get SUPER crowded, although it's definitely possible to avoid peak elevator times. The pool was clean and nice, and my kids enjoyed it a lot, and I enjoyed sitting out by the pool and reading while they swam. There are also BBQ grills, outside dining areas, etc., which is nice. The landscaping is pretty, although I had some issues with the tree trimming guys - they were out trimming palms by the pool, and I figured either they would avoid the trees immediately around my table OR they would tell me when it was about to get dangerous so I could get out of the way in time. Alas, I was mistaken, which I did not realize until a giant chunk of palm front fell into the umbrella over my head and slid to the ground next to me. So that was an adventure (and yes, after that, I moved). Later that day, before I'd even had a chance to mention this to the manager, I saw her out talking to the tree guys, who were much more safety- and guest-conscious after that.

Which brings me, at last, to my final point. The staff at the Staybridge were delightful and pleasant, and worked hard to meet our needs and make sure we had a good stay. The manager who was on the desk when we checked in (I think maybe her name was Cheryl?) made a particular point of checking in when she saw us. Housekeeping was also pleasant and responsive, and overall the people of Staybridge made staying there very easy and comfortable. We would have been happy to stay much longer.

Four stars instead of five because a) the tree thing was kind of alarming, and b) every now and then our room smelled faintly of cigarettes, and I was never sure why. We would definitely return, though, either as a couple or with the whole gang.

Room Tip: Try to get a room looking over the pool. The other side of the hotel faces the freeway.
1 Thank faunboy