“Not a hotel I would recommend to my friends or family.”

Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area
Ranked #44 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I took my girls on a vacation toDisneyland and many other great excursions . I had so many problems with the hotel starting from the cleaning staff leaving my door open all day, we didn't get back to our room until really late and when we got back our door was open. We had previously complained about it and they said they would fix it and they never did! Also the rooms were not fleeced very well, we had our garbage just sitting in he garbage bag beside our suitcase and the cleaning staff left their dirty glove on our chair on top of some cloths. Another thing was our tub plugged and we called he from desk, they said they would send someone up to fix it right away. Well no one came at all so we went to bed, it was 11pm then we hear a knock on the door at 11:30 I couldn't believe it they sent someone at 11:30 pm to unplug our tub, I was so mad I just asked them to come back in the morning. There were many other things too many to list.
On the positive note the staff was nice but they seemed a little understaffed maybe.
Oh and one more thing, they don't really have free wifi because it never worked. We could not get on it ever!!!

3  Thank Mel N
Richard S, Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

I am very sorry that your door was left open after returning from the park. We take safety and security very seriously and I am very concerned that an employee may have left the door open when servicing the room. If you have a moment I would love to speak with you about the incident so I can look into it further. You can contact me at the hotel directly at 714-489-4004.

I would also like to apologize for the service provided by the housekeeping staff. Again, if you have a moment I would like to get more information.

We appreciate your feedback as it is a valuable tool in raising the level of service we provide. I will share your review with our management staff so we can learn from it and prevent it from happening in the future. I hope that you and your family will give us another opportunity so serve you in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here for one night as it was close to Disneyland - as we had travelled from Palm Springs we decided to check-in on our way to Disney to save the hassle later in the evening. As it was only 10:30 when we arrived, we were told that the rooms weren't available which we completely understood, although room numbers were allocated so all we had to do was collect keys after our day out. Some of our party were sidelined by a couple offering them free lunch and $100 to spend in Disneyland - I didn't listen but guessed it was about buying a timeshare as other reviewers have confirmed. This is the last thing you need when you're checking into a hotel and have limited time - get rid of them! The shuttle bus arrived shortly after we got to the stop outside the hotel (tickets available from the machine and worked out cheaper than driving and parking at Disney). When the time came to return to the hotel, we waited at the same shuttle stop - when the bus arrived some 20 mins later, one of our party asked if it was going to the Holiday Inn and was told we were at the wrong stop (how bizarre - if you catch a no.8 bus going, surely you need the same one going back but no, not here!) After waiting another 20 or so mins the correct bus eventually arrived. The hotel reception was quite busy by the time we got back, with other people complaining about the state of the rooms and we then found out that due to a 'glitch in the system' our allocated rooms had been given to other people. It took quite a while to sort out so due to the inconvenience we asked if we could get free breakfast to which we were told no, but have something from the shop. Of the 3 rooms we had, 2 were fine (a bit shabby and I'm sure ours used to be a smoking room) - the other had empty water bottles left in it and the air conditioning unit was right beside the bed and we couldn't locate the temperature control which was supposed to be on the wall.

Having returned from our holiday, my husband noticed $140 charge on his credit card - when I queried this, we had been charged for 2 pillows that housekeeping noticed were missing from the room! Not only did we not steal pillows from the hotel, I was disgusted that the money had been taken without prior notification or consent. The charge has now been refunded but it leaves a bitter taste after the disappointing stay.

For one night it was OK but in future I'll pay the extra $10 and stay at the Sheraton on Disneyland Drive.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
3  Thank scattycat30
Richard S, Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our property. The timeshare booth you mentioned is no longer at the hotel. We ended the relationship with them the first week of July based on the feedback provided by our guests.

I apologize that the rooms allocated to you had to be changed. The summer season is our busiest of the year and while we try our best to accommodate all of the requests made by our guests it is not always possible. As we all know, technology isn't always perfect but if we experience a "glitch" we try our best to make things right. I'm sorry we weren't able to get all three of your rooms close together.

I will be speaking with our Executive Housekeeper regarding the water bottles that were found in the room. There is no excuse for a guest finding items left behind from the previous guest. I sincerely apologize the room was not cleaned to our company standards.

I believe I spoke to you regarding the pillows. I have already spoken to our entire management team regarding how to handle such a situation if it comes up again in the future. I emphatically explained we are never to charge a guest's credit card without their prior consent. I am very sorry that your card was charged, I understand how frustrating this must have been.

We are planning a number of improvements over the next 6 months to a year. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

Room very small, difficult to accommodate the three of us with suitcases. A lot of door ways at the entrance to the room - bathroom, adjoining room if being used, and storage cupboard. Too much corridor and elevator noise. Did not realise no room service between 11am and 5pm and no where in easy walking distance for food - not convenient when travelling with kids. A lot of room for improvement with cleanliness such as bins by shuttle bus and laundromat - mostly overflowing during our stay and I did advise to staff on checkout.

Room Tip: make sure not located anywhere by elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank DebR402
Holiday_InnLAXSM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear DebR402, I'm sorry that you did not have a great stay. We do have different room types and room layouts available, including some suites that may better suite your party. I do hope you try our other options the next time you are in the area. You are correct, due to a very low demand for lunch (many people are at Disneyland at this time), our restaurant is closed. However, the front desk is equipped with many restaurant options that deliver to the hotel. The issue with the trash bins and laundry room has already been addressed with our housekeeping department and they are now cleaning those areas multiple times per day. Again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope you give us another chance. Sincerely, Marilyn A, General Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2014

There must be better options than this for a family holiday to Disney. Front desk staff were overworked and under-skilled to handle the rush of 3pm check-in. Overall the hotel feels tired and grubby & neglected and in need of a good clean. Everywhere feels grubby and damp. Special mention of the laundry room that was disgusting. Its not far from Disney but bank on $5 per day for the shuttle bus.
You really need to get rid of the hard-sell timeshare crew in the lobby. Last thing a tired traveller needs.
Rooms not too bad. Food and drink not too bad, but the dining room/bar is a depressing horror. Best feature , its relatively cheap but otherwise nothing to recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Keith S

Dear Keith S, we are aware of all issues you have brought up and are addressing them. Unfortunately, we've recently had an overwhelming and unexpected turnover of staff at the front desk and most of them are new. Our Guest Svc Mgr is working very hard to get them up to speed. The "tired and grubby" feel to our hotel (including the dining room and bar) will be addressed with our much anticipated renovation scheduled to start in just 1.5mos! The time-share kiosk is already gone, never to return! Despite your experience this time, I encourage you to come back to give us another try after our renovation! It will be a brand new hotel! Sincerely, Marilyn A, General Manager

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect for Disneyland and our daughter's travel softball team. When we checked in a man tried to cut in front of another family in our party. The mom politely said "excuse me we were next" the front deal people were watching all of this happen. The man said "oh you don't have to be rude about it" the mom responded I am sorry if I seemed rude I was just trying to let you know. He than stood back with his two female companions cussing and being rude in front of our three young daughters. He even asked my husband to step outside. I don't blame the hotel staff for the man's actions however I do blame them for not stepping in.
The rooms were fairly clean but the phone cords were severed and there were scratch marks on the walls in the shower. We had prepaid for five nights and ended up renting a room at the embassy suites south (which was phenomenal) for the same price. We didn't get our room here refunded we just needed out.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank jensplayin22
Holiday_InnLAXSM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear jensplayin22, I'm sorry that your experience was less than perfect with us! I will address these issues with the front desk and maintenance department so we can address it immediately. Thank you for your feedback. I do hope you give us another chance in the future. Sincerely, Marilyn A, General Manager

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Spent 10 nights here. Found the service was excellent (especially from Jennifer in the bar). Pool area was nice and tidy. Bus to Disneyland every 20 to 30 minutes and close to restaurants at Gardenwalk. Only problem was double bed was more king single bed. Overall very good friendly service in good location.

1  Thank Paul B
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was a tidy clean hotel. Rooms weren't very big but they served their purpose. Quiet location nice pool area. Restaurant in the lobby was very average. Two out of the three things we ordered they were out of, but the obviously dont do too much business there. Bus ran every 20min -30min to take you directly to Disneyland and was $6 return. The one thing I didn't like was they had a desk down the front that was trying to get you to do a tour of one of their hotels for time share purpose. They offered you free lunch, coupons to spend in Disneyland etc. They start by saying they can help you with your dining, BEWARE!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Richard S, Manager at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We recently hired a new food and beverage director and plan to implement a number of changes in the next few months. Also, we ended the relationship with the time share booth. While many of our guests found them to be helpful with directions, local knowledge, etc., we also received negative feedback so we decided it was best to end the relationship. Thanks again for staying with us. We have a number of improvements planned in the next 6 months so please come back and visit us!