“Hotel has gone down hill over the years”

Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area
Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed November 7, 2012

On our trip on September 13-14, 2012 the first room we entered smelled of smoke and was dirty so we called the front desk who agreed to change our room. Rather than send up a bellhop to help us move from one room to another I was asked to bring our entire luggage for our family of four back down to the lobby where I was then issued a key for a new room which I then had to take our luggage up to. At no time during my initial check-in or subsequent room change was I offered help with my luggage either by a person or even with a cart, nor did it seem out of the norm for the front desk employees to receive a complaint about a room and just switch you to another one; no apologies for the inconvenience in any way. Somebody in your staff could have simply acknowledged our inconvenience and it would have gone a long way. We were staying at your hotel for a birthday celebration and this put a damper on our stay. The swimming pool was dirty with debris and there were no pool towels. When I called for pool towels the person that answered the phone said that we would have to come to the front desk and get more and they would not bring them to the pool area where the racks were empty.

Since we had stayed at your hotel previously we decide to overlook our September stay and booked a room again in November. I called at noon on the day of check-in to ask if we could check in 30 minutes early and if we could get a king size bed as my husband and I were now staying at your hotel without our children. I was told very politely that our room would be ready for us and the early check in was ok. When we checked in 15 minutes early, at 2:45 pm we were told that no king beds were available. Since we were checking in 15 minutes early I am not sure why there were no king beds – would one be available in 15 min or were they are checked out with early check ins? The hotel was empty when I check in and the front desk clerk did not have an explanation and said she could only offer us two doubles for the night. We stayed in suite 310 which if you look at it you will noticed the dirty, peeling wallpaper next to the beds and the torn wall paper in the entrance hallway. This room had two chairs and a table, which was an upgrade from our last stay where the room only had one chair, but unfortunately both chairs were filthy. We grabbed towels from the bathroom and laid them over the chairs and accepted the room with its flaws for the night. When we awoke the next morning and attempted to get ready for our day in room 310, the coffee pot did not work, the bathroom toilet would not flush - kept backing up and the shower wouldn't drain. Ninety minutes after my husband took a shower, the water was still 8 inches deep in the tub so I was not able to take a shower and get ready. We were planning on ordering room service and checking out by noon but since I couldn't shower and we couldn't make coffee or use the toilet, we left early.

When I went to check out I handed the front desk clerk my room key. She did not say one word to me – I waited for her to say “Good morning” or “how was your stay?” so I could tell her what our experience was but she obviously didn’t care as she didn’t even both to make eye contact with me or inquire about our stay. She checked me out and then finally speaks to me saying “You’re all set, there are no additional charges to your card”. I didn’t receive a receipt; I didn’t have to sign anything showing the final bill, nothing. I then spoke up and told her about the coffee pot, toilet and shower and she said “Oh, I’m sorry.”

I don’t typically write reviews on websites unless I receive superior service and I can sing a company’s praises; however, I am going to be making an exception in this case as I feel that the service you are portraying on your websites is very misleading as that is no longer the level of service that your company provides. I am very disappointed in the Holiday Inn and will ensure that you will not receive any more of my business; there are hundreds of hotels in the Disneyland area for a comparable price but superior service and they will be glad to have my business.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Holiday_InnLAXSM, Administative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Dear Suzi M.

Sorry to hear your stay wasn't too your satisfaction. We do try our best to provide comfort and great lodging needs for our guests. Unfortunately, we fell a little short to your expectations. I will pass along these issues and concerns to my General Manager. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

hotel was okay. the people that work there are wonderful. bathtub is very shallow and shower is weak.there is a predator in the lobby that will attack you as soon as you walk in. often at the door to the lobby and try to sell you time share. after a seven hour drive that was not a pleasant introduction to the hotel. would have left on the spot if we did not already pay for our stay. Location=no shops near by or other restaurants to go to. once you are back , you are back.
will i return? not to that hotel.the staff is wonderful again. but no...i will not return

Room Tip: all the rooms are good.just dodge the troll in the lobby
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Holiday_InnLAXSM, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Tucsonfran guest

Thank you for taking time to write your review. I do apologize for your inconvenience you and your family endured while entering our lobby of the Hotel. I would like to give my sincere apology for your unsatisfactory stay here with us. We are continually working on striving to improve the services and facilities that we offer our guests. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for your uncomfortable stay.

Administative Assistant

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for two nights while going to Disneyland and I don't believe we would ever stay again unless it was a last resort. Very run down motel, it was clean but not the normal HI standard that I am use to staying in. Walls had marks on them, bath tub has rust around it, beds were hard and small (double beds instead of normal Queen size) Not the kind of place you want to go back to after being at Disneyland all day and very tired. Motel needs a complete remodel

Dear Robin R.

Thank you for your time in providing us with your feedback on our hotel. I would first like to apologize to you and your family for your unpleasant stay. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not to your satisfaction. I will definitely pass this vital information to my Management Team in regards to your concerns. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Jeanette and Vanessa at reception were so nice. I was in the midst of a grueling work travel week, and so I was exhausted. They were very friendly and helpful. Just the right balance of fun, funny, and efficient to get me in my room, with dinner plans and directions, quickly and with a smile on my face. My room was very clean and comfortable - nice work space, good view. Everything was excellent for a business traveler. I cannot commend Jeanette and Vanessa enough. Because of their great demeanor, I will choose this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest (Business T.)

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here with us. We are very pleased you enjoyed our helpful,friendly staff (Jeanette and Vanessa). We strive to ensure great hospitality, and for our guest to have a pleasant stay. I would like to thank you again for choosing Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort for your lodging needs.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Ended up with a room via Priceline. Room was clean. Not much in walking distance, so if you need a base while visiting Disneyland, that may be the only reason to stay here. The Anahein resort shuttle stops at this hotel, so you don't have to drive to the park.

One odd thing: There was a guy at a desk in the lobby zestfully trying to rope us in to a timeshare sales pitch.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Holiday_InnLAXSM, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Dear Joef999

I would like to thank you for staying with us, but wish it could of been a better one. We strive to provide great hospitality for all our guests. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. I will pass along the information to our Management team about your concerns. Thank you again for taking time out to write your review.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

After booking this hotel, I read some reviews and became worried. Checking in was quick, and I did ask for a higher floor room to get away from the highway noise. You should know they are constructing a new on-ramp and you can not escape the noise! The first room had a disgusting rotton, rusted bathtub. The second room had the tub replaced with a shower only, better but still had black mold on all corners and edges. Our bathroom sink was cracked, three huge full lenght cracks. We stayed in a kids room with the bunk beds that were so narrow a child over 6 would be squished! The fact that a "kids suite" didn't have a tub, didn't make much sense. The dark hotel carpet must have been filthy because are socks and feet were black! We went to use the pool and hot tub, but they were having problems and it stank of the shock of chemicals. The closest store I was directed to was a 7-11, a good 20 min walk away. We ate dinner there once and it was o.k. The service at the restaurant was friendly. To top it off, when I checked out I asked for a yellow cab taxi that I took there, to go back to the airport. I was told they were so much more than another car service they use and she called them. It cost me ten dollars more! There are so many other places you can stay that are closer to the park, and shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room and if possible the other side of the highway, although kids suite rooms are...
2  Thank Lauri K

Dear Laurie K.

First of all, I would really like to apologize for your discomfort while staying with us. I am so sorry to hear about your overall experience was not to your satisfaction. I want to let you know I will share all these important suggestions with our Management team so that we may improve our overall amenities. Again my deepest apologies to you and your family!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here 4 nights for our Disneyland vacation. It was wonderful! The rooms were clean and nice. The separate kids room was ideal to have more personal space, plus it came with an extra bed so all 3 of our kids could have a place to sleep. The mini fridge was huge and there were ample cupboards so we brought a lot of our own food. The staff was helpful and friendly. The free included hot breakfast was fantastic! (But be aware, they do add an automatic 15% tip for what you would have paid. But it was well worth it to pay $5 for 5 people to have such a nice breakfast each morning.) The only downside is that it is far enough from Disney that you must drive or use the shuttle, but we used the ART shuttle and it was just fine. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Holiday_InnLAXSM, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Suzanne S.

Thank you for taking time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. It was nice to hear you enjoyed your stay here with us I am pleased to hear about our friendly staff and great food. I do apologize for the distance to your destination, but was happy to hear the ART Shuttle took good care of you. By you providing your feedback it helps us to improve on making our Hotel a great place to bring your family. I look forward to hearing from you again.